ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1968 Michael Joseph
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones albums by category......From Ian Return to archive
January 5th, 2005 05:40 AM
IanBillen
Goats Head has always been my favorite.
By the way Goats Head is not what I would reccommend to the beginner Stones fan, nor do I think it is their best album but it is my personal favorite. I just love it that's all. Here is what I think in terms of album catagory.

Their masterpiece and most true: Exile

Their most commercial: Some Girls (however that still doesn't make it any less great)

Their most experimental: Well it's gotta be Their Satanics Majesties Request.Then possibly Goats Head Soup or Undercover?

Their most versital: Gee I don't know. I guess maybe ....well I don't know...I would say maybe Beggars? Maybe Black and Blue? anyone?

Their most angry: well we all know it is Dirty Work of coarse. (geez it just sounds so hot and angry)

Their most underated: I say Undercover. Quite a Good album from start to finish but nobody ever really talks about it.
Then maybe my favorite Goats Head Soup.

Best Produced: I would say Voodoo Lounge. What a quality sound it has.

Any thoughts?
Ian
January 5th, 2005 06:39 AM
glencar Black & Blue is most versatile. I'd rate Tattoo You as more commercial, at least in the US. It spawned 3 Top 20 singles & was #1 for a few weeks longer. I too think Undercover is underrated. Dirty Work is a possibility for that spot also.
January 5th, 2005 09:27 AM
Pierre B2B, Emotional rescue and Undercover : I hate them
January 5th, 2005 11:38 PM
time is on my side Categorizing anything is always highly subjective and depends solely on ones personal likes and dislikes but what the hell I'll climb onto my musical pyramid and take a stab at it.

The Crown Jewel (the peak, the summit, they are on top of the mountain,on Mt Everest, talking to Zeus on Mt Olympus or you could say they are on top of the world,they are so freaking unreal they are floating out of space & time, the heights to which no band has travelled before, the highest of high, perfection, the summation of a creative peak- intensity that 30+ years later people are still talking about it in disbelief) EXILE ON MAIN ST

The Masterpieces (in no particular order) STICKY FINGERS, LET IT BLEED, BEGGAR'S BANQUET

The Great Ones (albums that are great but have slight imperfections- in other words, a step below from being a masterpiece- again in no particular order) TATOO YOU, AFTERMATH, OUT OF OUR HEADS, BETWEEN THE BUTTONS, SOME GIRLS

Finally, personal favorites that have been underrated over the years. I have grown fond of these albums but realize their limtations, flaws GOATS HEAD SOUP (great songs mixed with filler) and VOODOO LOUNGE (someone needed to edit this album- still their best since 1981)

Again, personal opinions are like noses and fingers (everyone has one- at least I hope they do) PEACE LOVE AND LONG LIVE MICK TAYLOR (just joking)

[Edited by time is on my side]
[Edited by time is on my side]
January 6th, 2005 01:23 AM
Poplar
Nice work "Time"
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood