ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1968 Michael Joseph
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Haven't I seen this somewhere? (Keef Content) Return to archive
January 2nd, 2005 01:55 PM
Snappy McJack "[...]I've probably taken more narcotics than a small country has. It's weird, 'cause I don't know why I'm still here today. Things that kill other people don't kill me. Despite everything, I'm a survivor. I can only suppose I possess the kind of mentality and psychological makeup that I can handle it. I guess I come from very tough stock."

[*]Scott Weiland, from a 2004 interview

Compared to:

"The things that would kill other people don't kill me. Despite everything, I'm a survivor. I can only suppose that I posess the kind of mentality and psychological makeup that could handle it. I come from very tough stock."

[*] Keith Richards, from an interview with Stanley Booth, 1989

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm a fan of STP's latter albums (mostly because of the DeLeo's), but I have no words for this. The guy is lifting quotes to give himself some sort of a rep? That is going way down low. If you are going to use a quote from someone give the originator some credit. Passing it off as your own is wrong, deceitful, and utterly lame.

It's as if he's reading biographies and looking for some clues.

[Edited by Snappy McJack]
January 2nd, 2005 02:02 PM
Bloozehound Don't sweat it Snappy

Scott Weiland is nothing more than a talentless hack, and a poseur

It totally bewilders me why he's popular, and respected by the mainstream music press

January 2nd, 2005 02:04 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:

It totally bewilders me why he's popular, and respected by the mainstream music press

then again I think I just figured out the answer to my bewilderment

lmao!
January 2nd, 2005 02:28 PM
Snappy McJack You're right, Bloozey. He is posing. When you have to memorize a quote to pass it on as your own, you have problems.

I think it would have been more appropriate to say something like "It's like Keith Richards said, {.....}". Then at least we know where it came from. He's got a bunch of teens reading this not knowing where the words from his mouth are coming from, so he thinks he can get away with it.

Funny thing is, I'm currently reading Victor Bockris' biography on Keith, and I saw the quote again. I'm just amazed that someone would stoop so low. It's like when one of my English professors told the class about some students making mistakes with citations on papers. They would either quote everything from their sources or not even mention their sources in the in-text citations. Now professors have some sort of software they can run electronic files (or papers on electronic files, i.e on a floppy or CD) on and the shady parts of a paper are highlighted. Usually it happens if someone directly takes something from a source and doesn't paraphrase it or put quotation marks around it.

Sad, Sad, Sad -- and I don't think it's gonna be fine.
January 2nd, 2005 04:07 PM
Bloozehound Ahhhah busted

It doesn't surprise me he plagerizing his idols and not giving credit where it's due.

Any major dude would of said it that way "Like the great Keith Richards once said....." and it would of made them look class in doing so, in a sort of the-New-generation-tipping-the-hat-to-their-elders kinda way, but not in Weiland's troubled little mind, he's convinced it's all about him.

One thing that's always bothereed me about him when I've seen him doing interviews and shit is that he takes himself very serious and thinks he's great ~ and I don't see it. I wasn't an STP fan. I didn't think they were anything special.

I saw VR on Conan the other night, and their song was ok, but Weiland just sucks, he ruins it for me. I could probably get into them if it wasn't for him.

BTW

I have that Bockris book on keef, I started reading it in the middle, around the Exile period with all the debauched 70's shit, and then read the beginning. It's an ok read.
January 2nd, 2005 08:16 PM
rolling who This is why I have Scott Weiland as the No. 1 asshole in all of rock music. He's so derivative -- nothing he or either of his bands have ever done is the slightest bit original, always nicking off someone else.

It's not the first quote he's nicked. I remember seeing a clip of him in concert wearing a dress, and he's saying, "I'm wearing a dress for the ball! Is this the ball?" Only problem was, it's the same thing Kurt Cobain had said a few years earlier, when he showed up MTV's Headbanger's Ball wearing a dress and said "I'm wearing a dress for the ball!"

Whether it's their first album, that alternated between sounding like Nirvana and Pearl Jam, to STP drummer's John Bonham-like, high-hat churning style, to naming the band simply so as to have the initials STP (a nod to the LSD/Lucy in the Sky trick), to calling himself just Weiland when they started (like Bono or Sting or Morrissey, etc., etc.) -- everything this guy and his band has done is utterly void of any creativity.

Don't forget, this is a man who penned the following lyric:
"Forward yesterday/Makes me wanna stay/What she said is real/Makes me wanna steal/Living under house/Guess I'm living, I'm a mouse...Feeling uninspired/Think I'll start a fire/Everybody run/Bobby's got a gun..."

Huh?

January 3rd, 2005 03:27 AM
gorda
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
You're right, Bloozey. He is posing. When you have to memorize a quote to pass it on as your own, you have problems.

I think it would have been more appropriate to say something like "It's like Keith Richards said, {.....}". Then at least we know where it came from. He's got a bunch of teens reading this not knowing where the words from his mouth are coming from, so he thinks he can get away with it.

Yes, he should have given Keith Richard's credit, but he was probably so stoned that he didn't realize that he stole Keith's words.

P.S. Who is Steve Weiland?
[Edited by gorda]
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood