ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1968 Michael Joseph
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Govt Mule covers Dirty Work?? Return to archive
January 2nd, 2005 12:44 AM
Saint Sway I checked out the set list from the Govt Mule NYE show at the Beacon Theatre in NY and noticed that the final 4 songs of the 2nd set were all covers with Jimmy Vivino ( the guitarist from The Late Show) sitting in

heres the songs...

The Ocean
Paint It Black
Dirty Work
Don't Let It Bring You Down

OK. Ocean is Zep. DLIBYD is Neil Young. PIB is obviously Stones. But could they of done a double shot with Dirty Work?? I just cant imagine any band covering that song!

anyone have any info on this?
January 2nd, 2005 01:50 AM
Saint Sway heres the entire set list. I still cant get my head around the idea that they would actually cover the Stones "Dirty Work". Cant be.

Set 1: Mr Man, Mule, Fool's Moon, Banks Of The Deep End, Wine & Blood, Rocking Horse, I'm A Ram, Time To Confess, Lola Leave Your Light On > Dazed Mule Jam > Lola Leave Your Light On (reprise)

Set 2: Larger Than Life > Flat Five Jam > Larger Than Life (reprise), Effigy > Money Money > Effigy, Beautifully Broken > Burros De Espana Jam, Devil Likes It Slow > Birth Of The Mule * > Devil Likes It Slow reprise, Game Face> Mountain Jam > Afro Blue* > Game Face (reprise), The Ocean^, Paint It Black^, Dirty Work#, Don't Let It Bring You Down^

Set 3: Everyday Will Be Like A Holiday*, Mr Big,Wandering Child, Silent Scream > drums > Silent Scream (reprise), Thelonius Beck, I Believe*, Thelonius Beck (reprise), World Gone Wild, New World Blues, E: Look On Yonder Wall#

Comment: * with Ron Holloway. ^ With Jimmy Vivino. # With Ron Holloway and Jimmy Vivino.
January 2nd, 2005 03:39 AM
mac_daddy verifying now....

ps - have you heard the phil and phriends (with chris robinson)..? phil (lesh) has the sbds up for free dowload @ the philzone.com)...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
January 2nd, 2005 06:03 PM
T&A yes - I think just the 12/17 show is up. Awesome shows. I talked to Phil and Jill yesterday (honestly - my daughter spent the nite NYE there -she has a close friend connected with Jill - and we had to pick her up - lucky me - btw, Phil and Jill are the nicest folks). Jill said they would get the 12/18 and 12/19 shows posted later in the week.

January 2nd, 2005 06:34 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
T&A wrote:
yes - I think just the 12/17 show is up. Awesome shows. I talked to Phil and Jill yesterday (honestly - my daughter spent the nite NYE there -she has a close friend connected with Jill - and we had to pick her up - lucky me - btw, Phil and Jill are the nicest folks). Jill said they would get the 12/18 and 12/19 shows posted later in the week.

that is waht i heard, too...

i believe the next phil and phriends gigs will be mardis gras
____

still havent heard back about "dirty work"

January 2nd, 2005 07:10 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
verifying now....

ps - have you heard the phil and phriends (with chris robinson)..? phil (lesh) has the sbds up for free dowload @ the philzone.com)...

sure did. I heard some of the live streams. The set lists looked awesome. Wiser Time > Dark Star!!! Wish I could of been there. Cool that Chris dusted off some of those great Crowes songs that have been buried during the "hiatus". Lay It All On Me must of been sick. And Chris alwalys sounds great singing the Dead numbers

lemme know if you hear word on the Mule "Paint It Black" & "Dirty Work" double shot.

looks like a must own Mule show regardless. But if they actually covered Dirty Work then I've GOTTA HEAR THAT!
January 2nd, 2005 10:40 PM
Soldatti Someone covered Dirty Work?
That's impressive...
January 3rd, 2005 04:23 AM
ResidentMule its Dirty Work by Steely Dan not the Stones. I'm listening to a tape of the show right now
January 3rd, 2005 06:19 AM
glencar Oh rats!
January 3rd, 2005 08:20 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
ResidentMule wrote:
its Dirty Work by Steely Dan not the Stones. I'm listening to a tape of the show right now

thanks for the info.
January 3rd, 2005 11:57 AM
Saint Sway DAMN YOU STEELY DAN!!!!!!!!!
January 3rd, 2005 12:15 PM
ResidentMule
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
DAMN YOU STEELY DAN!!!!!!!!!

no, its better this way, trust me

but the idea of the Mule covering the Stones Dirty Work just doesn't fit. couldn't see it happening that's why I had to make sure it was the Dan's
January 3rd, 2005 12:20 PM
Saint Sway nahhh. Warren could make it work! Steely Dan blow.
January 3rd, 2005 01:22 PM
Nasty Habits No offense to long time Asheville favorites and occasional natives Government Mule, but there is no way that band could work up the necessary force, rage, anger, and authority necessary to play a song as titanic as "Dirty Work".

January 3rd, 2005 01:29 PM
Maxlugar If they ever DREAM they can do Dirty Work, they better wake up apologizing!

Word Nasty.

January 3rd, 2005 07:22 PM
mac_daddy you guys are kidding right?

the mule is about as hard rockin as it gets - i'll bet they would rip it up. not many bands could, but warren and co certainly would be able to do so...

January 4th, 2005 07:04 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
you guys are kidding right?

the mule is about as hard rockin as it gets - i'll bet they would rip it up. not many bands could, but warren and co certainly would be able to do so...

word.

but dont take my word for it. Go to itunes and download the new Gov't Mule track "Lola Leave Your Light On" - IT ROCKS!! The riff is very reminiscent of "Cant You Hear Me Knockin"

check it out!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood