ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1968 Michael Joseph
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: successful bands of all time in British charts Return to archive Page: 1 2
January 2nd, 2005 09:00 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Well, my memory of the MElbourne charts in 1981 is very vivid I used to collect the old 3XY charts that came into record shops every week. The Stones made 2 covers of those charts that i had. 1980, and 81. Tattoo You was number 1 for about 3 months. It held off some Police record that every one was sure would be number 1. This made me very happy, as some cock head i knew at the time loved the Police. hhahaha - fuck him! Start me up was also number 1 here. It was the 1st time since 1973 the Stones had a the number one single and album here in Oz. Needless to say, it hasnt fucking happened since!!! hahahaha. Stones fever was very high here, as reports of the successful 81 U.s. tour featured often on our music shows, and even the news! A tour of Oz, the 1st since 73 was surely going to happen. But, nooooooooooo, the pricks chose to shun us. I still havent forgotten, or forgiven.

I love Maiden! Adore them. I am not surprised by the Who not having a number 1. They were/are always much more influential to musicians than popular with fans. Though, of course, they were a huge live drawcard. And, i will say this without fear or favour. APart from 3, oooh, maybe 4 albums, all of the Who long plays are crap.

Live at Leeds, Who's Next (greatest non-stones album??? and Quardrophenia are superb.

Any one who thinks Tommy is anything but utter crap is delusional. I like Odds and sods. By numbers is bad. Who are you terrible. Face Dances is shameful. Its hard is ok, but dated. And all their 60's albums are just awful. They were mostly a singles band in the 60's.

P.S. Sell out was ok. For its time.

Odds&sods still has the best versions of Pure&Easy, and Long Live Rock. The Who's Metamorphosis, only a year earlier.
January 2nd, 2005 10:13 AM
Gazza
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Let's face facts! I'm British through and through, but the awful truth is; The British rock establishment are either so envious,or embarrased by The Stones that since 1970 there has been an undeniable resentment of the band.For some reason, or reasons, whatever the case maybe critics,punters, and gradually trickling down onto the street, the kids have given 'em the ol'bums-rush good&proper. A definite case of conspiracy theory you may chuckle, but trully; I know that had they come out of Australia, the aussie music establishment would petitioned The Vatican on their befalf by now. Just take a look at any British Top 20 this, Top 40 that, The 100 Greatest, etc, It's just lousy British taste with a healthy dose of the ol' tall poppy syndrome.

What the fuck has the "British rock establishment" (whatever that means) got to do with the fact (which I was pointing out) that the Stones have hardly RELEASED any singles in the UK in the last 35 years - even though throughout the 70's the one they DID put out from any album actually charted highly.

What part of Britain are you in anyway? oh, I forgot - you're not... . (My private dig at Josh is over yer head a wee bit too, I think..but anyway)

As for silly "top 40 polls" and kids not liking them. Separate issue entirely..its been discussed to death here in recent months, and no one covered it better than your fellow Aussie, Corgi.

And yeah, we all hate them over here. Of course. Thats why they sold almost 200,000 tickets here last year despite the highest prices for a rock concert in history.
January 2nd, 2005 10:38 PM
gypsymofo60 Take a fucking pill or something!!!!!!!!!
Where did I single you?
Don't let yer personal feelings about me hold ya back there GAZZA LOL!!!!
What personal thread with Josh? Grow up!
January 3rd, 2005 02:39 PM
Gazza Personal feelings about YOU? Hardly...

I dont even fucking know you - dont flatter yourself, mate!

Go back to having cyberwanks over thousands of dead Asians or try paying attention..

zzzzzzzz

[Edited by Gazza]
January 4th, 2005 09:24 PM
corgi37 Wow.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood