ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1968 Michael Joseph
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: successful bands of all time in British charts Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 29th, 2004 07:16 AM
Ten Thousand Motels successful bands of all time in British charts

IO
29/12/2004

U2 are the 10th most successful recording artists of all time in the British charts, according to this year's list in the annual Guinness British Hit Singles and Albums book.

US band Red Hot Chili Peppers have entered the record books to become one of the 100 most successful recording artists of all time.

The Guinness British Hit Singles and Albums book ranks artists every year according to how many weeks they have spent in the UK singles and albums charts.

The likes of Madonna, the Rolling Stones, the Beatles and Elvis Presley are already in the top 100.

This year, US band the Red Hot Chili Peppers are the only new entry – making it to number 97.

Those who have a chance of getting in next year include Britney Spears, Eminem, Westlife, Radiohead and Iron Maiden, according to the list’s compilers.

Spandau Ballet has fallen out of the top 100, while Michael Jackson is the highest climber as he is now number eight.

Elvis Presley still tops the list having notched up 2463 weeks in the UK singles and albums charts – more than the time he was alive for.

The acts which have climbed the list include The Stereophonics to 84, The Corrs to 89; Guns n’ Roses to 74; and Robbie Williams to 43.

George Michael has risen to 56; R.E.M to 32; Cher to 68 and Simply Red to 26.

Those to fall down the list include Electric Light Orchestra to 54; Bruce Springsteen to 47; Blur to 91; and Mike Oldfield to 48.

British Hit Singles & Albums editor David Roberts said: “It’s very rare to get new acts breaking into the Top 100, so this really is an incredible achievement”.

Rank Artist Weeks Total
1 Elvis Presley 2463
2 Cliff Richard 1972
3 Beatles 1742
4 Queen 1725
5 Madonna 1653
6 Elton John 1615
7 The Shadows 1578
8 Michael Jackson 1477
9 David Bowie 1459
10 U2 1402

December 29th, 2004 07:29 AM
Gazza The Stones would have been higher had they released a decent number of singles in the UK once they formed their own record label.

All of the studio albums from Sticky Fingers through to Black and Blue only had one single taken from them, whereas in the US they were releasing two per album. Some Girls had 2 UK singles but 3 in the US.

A strange decision considering the fact that all of those albums produced top ten UK singles, three of which were in the top 3.

Beggars Banquet didn't have a UK single either, whereas it had in the US.
[Edited by Gazza]
December 29th, 2004 09:57 AM
nankerphelge "Spandau Ballet has fallen out of the top 100"

I knew that would happen...dammit!
December 29th, 2004 10:09 AM
egon cliff at 2, my mum will be very pleased with this!
December 29th, 2004 10:12 AM
rolling who
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The Stones would have been higher had they released a decent number of singles in the UK once they formed their own record label.

All of the studio albums from Sticky Fingers through to Black and Blue only had one single taken from them, whereas in the US they were releasing two per album. Some Girls had 2 UK singles but 3 in the US.

A strange decision considering the fact that all of those albums produced top ten UK singles, three of which were in the top 3.

[Edited by Gazza]

Was "Street Fighting Man" released as a single in the US? Wasn't it banned for a while because of its lyrical content?
December 29th, 2004 10:18 AM
Gazza It was indeed released - 3 months ahead of the album in fact, with "No Expectations" as the B-side - but charted very badly as many radio stations didnt play it.

It's still surprising that it didnt chart higher, considering how big the Stones were
[Edited by Gazza]
December 29th, 2004 10:50 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
"Spandau Ballet has fallen out of the top 100"

I knew that would happen...dammit!

Ha! Shocking isn't it?
December 29th, 2004 12:00 PM
Soldatti Stones:
799 weeks on album chart (44 albums on chart, 33 Top 10, 10 #1's, between April 1964 - November 2004)
374 weeks on singles chart (49 singles on chart, 21 Top 10, 8 #1's, between July 1963 - October 2003)

Total: 1.173 weeks (#16 on all time list)

quote:

Well, it had two in UK:
- Street Fighting Man reached #21 in July 1971
- Sympathy For The Devil reached #14 the last year

quote:
Was "Street Fighting Man" released as a single in the US? Wasn't it banned for a while because of its lyrical content?

Street Fighting Man reached #48 in his sixth week on the Billboard Hot 100 but it disappeared the following week...
December 29th, 2004 02:03 PM
Gazza
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Well, it had two in UK:
- Street Fighting Man reached #21 in July 1971
- Sympathy For The Devil reached #14 the last year

LOL. Three years and 35 years afterwards hardly counts as a single to promote the album, Soldatti!
December 29th, 2004 02:18 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Gazza wrote:

LOL. Three years and 35 years afterwards hardly counts as a single to promote the album, Soldatti!

At least Beggars Banquet was the "golden era" album with more UK singles releases: LIB none, SF only 1 and charted twice (#2 in 1971 and #58 in 1984) and EOMS only one too.
December 29th, 2004 04:09 PM
rolling who
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

At least Beggars Banquet was the "golden era" album with more UK singles releases: LIB none, SF only 1 and charted twice (#2 in 1971 and #58 in 1984) and EOMS only one too.

Actually, it's kind of strange that from 66-70, a good portion of the Stones' "golden era" I'm sure we all agree on, they didn't have a single No. 1 album. 'Beggar's', 'Let it Bleed' and 'Ya-Ya's' (not to mention 'Satanic', 'Buttons', 'Flowers' and everything else in between) failed to top the charts. It wasn't until 'Sticky Fingers' in '71 that the Stones had their second No. 1 U.S. album.

It's almost as though they took over the void for The Beatles, who had virtually every album (even crap like 'Magical Mystery Tour' and 'Hey Jude') rocket to No. 1 from 64-70. After 'Sticky,' the Stones routinely churned out No. 1 albums for the next 10 years.

While the Beatles void would seem logical, don't forget that Zeppelin, the Doors, Hendrix and CCR all went to No. 1 during the Stones' 66-70 drought. Of course, what boggles the mind is that The Who NEVER had a No. 1 album, while far inferior acts like Tull and the Moodies topped the charts in the early-mid-70s.
December 29th, 2004 07:17 PM
Soldatti
quote:
rolling who wrote:
Actually, it's kind of strange that from 66-70, a good portion of the Stones' "golden era" I'm sure we all agree on, they didn't have a single No. 1 album. 'Beggar's', 'Let it Bleed' and 'Ya-Ya's' (not to mention 'Satanic', 'Buttons', 'Flowers' and everything else in between) failed to top the charts. It wasn't until 'Sticky Fingers' in '71 that the Stones had their second No. 1 U.S. album.

It's true, but they reached #2 with Aftermath (2 wks), Between The Buttons (4 wks), Satanic Majesties Requests (6 consecutives weeks at #2 behind Magical Mistery Tour) and Through The Past Darkly (2 weeks at #2 behind Abbey Road)

quote:
It's almost as though they took over the void for The Beatles, who had virtually every album (even crap like 'Magical Mystery Tour' and 'Hey Jude') rocket to No. 1 from 64-70. After 'Sticky,' the Stones routinely churned out No. 1 albums for the next 10 years.

The Stones were at #2 always behind of Beatles albums, with the Beatles out the #1 was easy.
December 29th, 2004 08:42 PM
glencar I'll go to my deathbed amazed at the fact that "Start Me Up" didn't make #1 on the US singles chart.
December 29th, 2004 10:32 PM
Soldatti Start Me Up spent 3 weeks at #2 in US, the #1's that weeks were: Christopher Cross "Arthur's Theme" (1 wk) and Daryl Hall & John Oates "Private Eyes" (2 wks). BTW, during that time Tattoo You spent his weeks 7, 8 and 9 at #1 in US, the last US #1 weeks to date.
December 30th, 2004 12:19 AM
glencar Yes, I remember all that info soldatti. What song replaced SMU at #2?
December 30th, 2004 11:46 AM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
What song replaced SMU at #2?

1 (2) Physical
2 (1) Private Eyes
3 (3) Arthur's Theme
4 (2) Start Me Up
December 31st, 2004 11:17 AM
jb Disgraceful British Stone hating wankers....
December 31st, 2004 01:40 PM
Gazza Fuck off Josh
December 31st, 2004 01:41 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Fuck off Josh

tHANKS GAZZA....Happy New Year!!!
December 31st, 2004 01:45 PM
Gazza Shalom, Josh

Hope you like your new 'description'
December 31st, 2004 01:46 PM
Gazza >Start Me Up spent 3 weeks at #2 in US, the #1's that weeks were: Christopher Cross "Arthur's Theme" (1 wk) and Daryl Hall & John Oates "Private Eyes" (2 wks)

Josh?
December 31st, 2004 01:55 PM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Start Me Up spent 3 weeks at #2 in US, the #1's that weeks were: Christopher Cross "Arthur's Theme" (1 wk) and Daryl Hall & John Oates "Private Eyes" (2 wks)

Josh?

No one should ever overestimate the intelligence of Americans....
December 31st, 2004 02:02 PM
Gazza A fitting comment to end 2004!
December 31st, 2004 03:06 PM
Dan I am surprised Iron Maiden didnt place any higher. I know they always do much better there and even had at least one #1 if not more.
January 1st, 2005 06:01 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Dan wrote:
I am surprised Iron Maiden didnt place any higher. I know they always do much better there and even had at least one #1 if not more.

They are big in England, that's all.
January 1st, 2005 11:03 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Gazza wrote:
The Stones would have been higher had they released a decent number of singles in the UK once they formed their own record label.

[Edited by Gazza]

Let's face facts! I'm British through and through, but the awful truth is; The British rock establishment are either so envious,or embarrased by The Stones that since 1970 there has been an undeniable resentment of the band.For some reason, or reasons, whatever the case maybe critics,punters, and gradually trickling down onto the street, the kids have given 'em the ol'bums-rush good&proper. A definite case of conspiracy theory you may chuckle, but trully; I know that had they come out of Australia, the aussie music establishment would petitioned The Vatican on their befalf by now. Just take a look at any British Top 20 this, Top 40 that, The 100 Greatest, etc, It's just lousy British taste with a healthy dose of the ol' tall poppy syndrome.
January 1st, 2005 11:07 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
jb wrote:
Disgraceful British Stone hating wankers....

From a true Red, white&blue John Bull swingin' on a Union Jack wrapped in the flag of St. George, I'll 'ave 'alf,LIMEY, you got eyes J!
January 1st, 2005 11:19 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Start Me Up spent 3 weeks at #2 in US, the #1's that weeks were: Christopher Cross "Arthur's Theme" (1 wk) and Daryl Hall & John Oates "Private Eyes" (2 wks)

Josh?

HA!........Think that's bad????????? Stonedinoz may no doubt correct me,(anyone who remembers RaythecrayBargearseburge has got to have an encyclopeadic rock mind no two ways about it, but here in oz; well! Shoulda seen our charts. Cold Chisel, The Runners??????????WHO???????????????????? RAPTURE? Oh!!!!!!! What a goodie! The Sports! Had to have been huge in Belgium, coz we was told they were an international hit. Yeah!...Like oooh, say Air Supply?
January 2nd, 2005 07:43 AM
corgi37 Well, my memory of the MElbourne charts in 1981 is very vivid I used to collect the old 3XY charts that came into record shops every week. The Stones made 2 covers of those charts that i had. 1980, and 81. Tattoo You was number 1 for about 3 months. It held off some Police record that every one was sure would be number 1. This made me very happy, as some cock head i knew at the time loved the Police. hhahaha - fuck him! Start me up was also number 1 here. It was the 1st time since 1973 the Stones had a the number one single and album here in Oz. Needless to say, it hasnt fucking happened since!!! hahahaha. Stones fever was very high here, as reports of the successful 81 U.s. tour featured often on our music shows, and even the news! A tour of Oz, the 1st since 73 was surely going to happen. But, nooooooooooo, the pricks chose to shun us. I still havent forgotten, or forgiven.

I love Maiden! Adore them. I am not surprised by the Who not having a number 1. They were/are always much more influential to musicians than popular with fans. Though, of course, they were a huge live drawcard. And, i will say this without fear or favour. APart from 3, oooh, maybe 4 albums, all of the Who long plays are crap.

Live at Leeds, Who's Next (greatest non-stones album??? and Quardrophenia are superb.

Any one who thinks Tommy is anything but utter crap is delusional. I like Odds and sods. By numbers is bad. Who are you terrible. Face Dances is shameful. Its hard is ok, but dated. And all their 60's albums are just awful. They were mostly a singles band in the 60's.

P.S. Sell out was ok. For its time.
January 2nd, 2005 08:58 AM
gypsymofo60
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Well, my memory of the MElbourne charts in 1981 is very vivid I used to collect the old 3XY charts that came into record shops every week. The Stones made 2 covers of those charts that i had. 1980, and 81. Tattoo You was number 1 for about 3 months. It held off some Police record that every one was sure would be number 1. This made me very happy, as some cock head i knew at the time loved the Police. hhahaha - fuck him! Start me up was also number 1 here. It was the 1st time since 1973 the Stones had a the number one single and album here in Oz. Needless to say, it hasnt fucking happened since!!! hahahaha. Stones fever was very high here, as reports of the successful 81 U.s. tour featured often on our music shows, and even the news! A tour of Oz, the 1st since 73 was surely going to happen. But, nooooooooooo, the pricks chose to shun us. I still havent forgotten, or forgiven.

I love Maiden! Adore them. I am not surprised by the Who not having a number 1. They were/are always much more influential to musicians than popular with fans. Though, of course, they were a huge live drawcard. And, i will say this without fear or favour. APart from 3, oooh, maybe 4 albums, all of the Who long plays are crap.

Live at Leeds, Who's Next (greatest non-stones album??? and Quardrophenia are superb.

Any one who thinks Tommy is anything but utter crap is delusional. I like Odds and sods. By numbers is bad. Who are you terrible. Face Dances is shameful. Its hard is ok, but dated. And all their 60's albums are just awful. They were mostly a singles band in the 60's.

P.S. Sell out was ok. For its time.

Wasn't it the first no.1 since HTW? I used to collect those too. 3xy! just on the cusp of FM in oz. Funny how that took so long. My first job, DJ(in training), and awfull to boot; on rural FM. Ah! Takes one back.
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood