ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1968 Michael Joseph
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who fans or not? Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 31st, 2004 01:24 AM
gypsymofo60 Ilike that album. I bought it when it came out and really loved Another Tricky Day, but compared to Who's Next; well, I mean(a mick pause)REEEEEEEAALLYYYY! Funny thing is, what I feel lessened their REP, shall we say, is that they only did two great, and two fair albums. They were obsentially,"A Singles Band", carrying on into a world of concept albums or some such shit when Uncle Pete was trying to be Wagner with attitude or something, but they still rock. Pity they never realised their full potential.
December 31st, 2004 05:50 AM
Jumping Jack 1975 was the best for the live performances IMHO, not necessarily for albumn releases. RnR is about the live performance anyway, which is why the Beatles will never never be in the same league as the Stones.

One could certainly make the case that The Who's 75 performances were better than the Stones even with the lotus stage and giant cock considered. Guess you had to be there.
December 31st, 2004 07:09 AM
Gazza
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
1975 gets my vote as the best year in rock with the Stones, Who, Zep and Skynyrd all on the top of their game.

I dont know about the Stones being at their best in '75 (far from it), but :

Throw in Springsteen's best album (Born To Run), Neil Young putting out TWO of his best ever (Tonights the Night / Zuma) and Dylan putting out IMO not only the best album of his career but maybe even the best by ANYONE ever(Blood On The Tracks) as well as finally releasing The Basement Tapes for good measure and going on the road with the Rolling Thunder Revue after having just recorded "Desire", and you have a pretty strong argument!
December 31st, 2004 11:23 PM
gypsymofo60 Not to mention Bad Co. with 'Straight Shooter', Bowie 'Young Americans', Ian Hunter..Ullo! Aussie music finally stepped up to the plate, and that made an enormous difference to people in this country. Stopped aping Brits, and Americans. Physical GraffitiWOW! Rocks lasy hurrah pre-punk.
January 1st, 2005 05:45 PM
time is on my side The Who, in their prime, was one of the great live bands I've ever seen. I was fortunate to have seen them in 1971 and what a show it was. The energy and power of the music had everyone dancing in the aisles. Before Pete got distracted with concept albums, they were a great singles band (best represented in Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy or the Ultimate Collection). Tommy was a bit overblown and overrated for my taste though I love the fist side of the album (the first side also translated well to the stage). Their great albums were The Who Sell Out, Live at Leeds, Who's Next, and possibly Quadrophenia though this album did not translate well to the stage (when I saw them in 1973, they presented Quadrophenia in it's entirety- it was an entertaining show but simply did not have the power of 1971). I'm also a fan of Who by Numbers though I would not classify that album as great (it's merely very good).
January 1st, 2005 06:12 PM
gypsymofo60 '75! How could I forget SABOTAGE...saaaaaaaarrrkkkmeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
January 3rd, 2005 02:09 AM
michelle13 the who SUXXXXX ASSS roger d. scares the shit out of me and rolling stones are ok but there better than the who
January 3rd, 2005 05:04 AM
Jumping Jack Watch and behold their greatness:

Ice Magazine has this report in its current edition on
page 20 in its "Underground" section: "4Reel announces
Houston Summit 1975 (11/20). A source close to the
label says the pro-shot video footage for the DVD9 is "absolutely awesome, and the audio has been remastered in Dolby 5.1." There's also a wealth of bonus
material: pro-shot footage from Pontiac, MI (12/6/75)
plus various 1972-75 UK and European TV appearances."

Compare this footage with LA Blues and form your own opinion.
January 3rd, 2005 10:11 AM
rolling who
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
Watch and behold their greatness:

Ice Magazine has this report in its current edition on
page 20 in its "Underground" section: "4Reel announces
Houston Summit 1975 (11/20). A source close to the
label says the pro-shot video footage for the DVD9 is "absolutely awesome, and the audio has been remastered in Dolby 5.1." There's also a wealth of bonus
material: pro-shot footage from Pontiac, MI (12/6/75)
plus various 1972-75 UK and European TV appearances."

Compare this footage with LA Blues and form your own opinion.

Is that a Who or Stones show, JJ?
January 4th, 2005 05:34 AM
Jumping Jack The Who in their prime!
January 4th, 2005 06:26 AM
glencar ICE covers "underground" stuff? Very nice!
January 4th, 2005 07:11 AM
Gazza Some of that Pontiac footage ("Roadrunner") is included in the "Kids Are Alright" film. I wouldnt mind seeing more of that show, based on what I've seen of it.
January 4th, 2005 12:18 PM
Joey
quote:
MRD8 wrote:
For those of you WHO missed it I'll offer up the B&P again for The Who's 7-24-04 Yokohama proshot...the sound/picture quality are superb, and the musicianship is beyond description! For those of you who regularly take advantage of my B&P offers send three blank DVD+R's and a postage paid return mailer...all others send an email to [email protected] for details. Here's the setlist:
I Can't Explain, Substitute, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Real Good Looking Boy, Who Are You, 5.15, Love Reign O'er Me, My Generation, Old Red Wine, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me/Listening To You.

Thanks Bob .......................................

In case anyone wants to know :

" The Petey " smashes his guitar at the very end .

J. Fly ! ™
January 4th, 2005 12:24 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Some of that Pontiac footage ("Roadrunner") is included in the "Kids Are Alright" film. I wouldnt mind seeing more of that show, based on what I've seen of it.

Yes , me too ..............

Jumping Jack ...............is the entire DVD that good ( quality of footage and performance ) ?!?!
January 4th, 2005 09:07 PM
corgi37 1971 would have to be about the best year in rock.
Sticky Fingers, Pearl, La Woman, Led Zep iv, Machine head (or whatever smoke on the water was on), American Pie, Sabbath, Who's next and so many other water-shed albums.

Even in Oz, we got one of our "National Anthems", Daddy Cool's "Eagle Rock".

And, the Partridge Family! How could i forget them?
January 4th, 2005 09:33 PM
Gazza Dont forget "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep" !
January 4th, 2005 10:25 PM
rolling who
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
1971 would have to be about the best year in rock.
Sticky Fingers, Pearl, La Woman, Led Zep iv, Machine head (or whatever smoke on the water was on), American Pie, Sabbath, Who's next and so many other water-shed albums.

Even in Oz, we got one of our "National Anthems", Daddy Cool's "Eagle Rock".

And, the Partridge Family! How could i forget them?

Wasn't 'American Pie' in '72? Same with 'Machine Head', I believe. Not to pick nits or anything.
January 5th, 2005 05:44 AM
Jumping Jack The Who 12/6/75 Pontiac Silverdome Partial 2nd half of show Pro Shot B Hyde Park 96 A (1 DVD)
The Who 12/9/75 Cleveland (1 DVD) B-

My copy of Detroit only has the second have of the show. It looks like much of the early tape is was damaged. I would rate it generally equal to most versions of the Stones LA 75 before restoration. Cleveland 75 is almost complete, but a little lesser quality than LA 75. Cleveland was in fact the day before I first saw them in Buffalo and they absolutely kicked ass.

Gazza & Joey: e-mail me at sfenner1 at bellsouth.net
January 5th, 2005 09:44 AM
Joey
" The Who 12/6/75 Pontiac Silverdome Partial 2nd half of show Pro Shot B Hyde Park 96 A (1 DVD)
The Who 12/9/75 Cleveland (1 DVD) B- "

Jumping Jack ---- You Have a PM !

January 5th, 2005 12:46 PM
sirmoonie Damn near all of them take their cue from The Who!
January 5th, 2005 02:15 PM
Joey
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
Damn near all of them take their cue from The Who!

I would like to nuzzle you
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood