ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1968 Michael Joseph
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Who fans or not? Return to archive Page: 1 2
December 28th, 2004 08:22 PM
rolling who I loooooove the fucking Rolling Stones -- but I also love the Who. They're 1 and 1A, sort of depending on my mood that day (and I'm referring to 66-81 Stones and 67-75 era Who).

I'd like to know what the rest of the board thinks of The Who, and not so much there rather spotty past couple (OK, 20 or so) years, but what they were in their heyday and what they'll always represent to a Who freak like me.

Can Stones and Who fans co-exist, I suppose is what I'm asking.
December 28th, 2004 08:36 PM
nankerphelge gelukkig nieuw jaar
December 28th, 2004 08:44 PM
rolling who
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
gelukkig nieuw jaar

huh?
December 28th, 2004 08:47 PM
nankerphelge That's "Happy New Year" in Dutch!

Joey is a big Who fan, but he won't be back until next week.

Enjoy the ride!
December 28th, 2004 08:58 PM
Soldatti Joey are you in a ciber?
December 28th, 2004 09:55 PM
glencar The Who had power at their height but their legacy has dwindled away over the past 2 decades of crap they've pulled. Petey's pedophile phollies annoy me even more. No more Who for you!
December 28th, 2004 09:59 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Who was great... rock is dead they say... long live the Who, they still great

I love their covers of stones songs like Under my Thumb, The Last Time and Midnight Rambler
December 28th, 2004 10:01 PM
rolling who
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Who was great... rock is dead they say... long live the Who, they still great

I love their covers of stones songs like Under my Thumb, The Last Time and Midnight Rambler

Actully, I didn't like the covers of "Last Time" and "Thumb." Sort of tinny and obviously pulled off in a matter of hours. I can see your "Rambler" reference was said tongue-in-cheek, but clue me in on the inside joke? Maybe I'm missing something.
December 28th, 2004 10:02 PM
seclusion The Who in their day were fanfuckintastic! What about Keith Moon? The guy was crazy mother but could he play drums! They have to be one of my top five (probably). The Seeker; O'Reily[sp]; Reign On Me; My Wife; Behind Blue Eyes; Join Together; Let's See Action; I Can See For Miles; My Generation; Substitute; etc.
December 28th, 2004 10:23 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Very good answer Rolling Who, now tell us why they covered the Stones?
December 28th, 2004 10:36 PM
glencar Oooh, I know!!! I know!!!
December 28th, 2004 10:57 PM
KeithRichardsgrl Yeah i like the who they have alottt of very good songs.
December 28th, 2004 11:15 PM
rolling who
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
Very good answer Rolling Who, now tell us why they covered the Stones?

Because they wanted to keep the Stones' songs on the radio while Mick and Keith potentially were going to be in jail for a while.

Now, somebody please tell me about the Who covering "Midnight Rambler" joke?
December 28th, 2004 11:28 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl It was a joke LOL

Now let me tell you really loud WELCOME ABOARD!!!
December 29th, 2004 03:21 PM
Gimme Shelter I have always loved The Who, and they can still rock!!!
December 29th, 2004 05:24 PM
Bloozehound I've tried getting into the Who, but it just never happens
December 29th, 2004 05:26 PM
Tom Easy, just start with "Who's Next" or "Tommy" The original group-version
December 29th, 2004 06:34 PM
Jumping Jack The Two still kick ass. Y'all should have taken up Mr. D's generous B&P offer for the Yoko 04 show if you need proof. No posing from Pete!!!
December 29th, 2004 08:38 PM
UptownBedbug
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
The Two still kick ass. Y'all should have taken up Mr. D's generous B&P offer for the Yoko 04 show if you need proof. No posing from Pete!!!

What Jumping Jack said.
December 30th, 2004 07:22 AM
corgi37 Oh, man, i saw them in July and they blew my little white socks off. Absolutely amazing. I tell ya's, with Moon and the Ox in full flight, the Who would pretty much kill the Stones live. In a flurry of feed-back and volume the Stonies would scatter.

Who's Next it probably the greatest nono-stones album.

Mind you, their albums up to Live at Leeds were pretty crap.

Fave tracks??

Wont get fooled
baba
naked eye
love reign o'er me
and cache cache

P.S. Obviously, so kidding about that last one!
December 30th, 2004 08:02 AM
Gazza The Who show in Birmingham in June was one of the most magnificent shows I've ever seen by anyone...ever.

If thats what they're like when they're past it, it's frightening to think how amazing they must have been to see live when they were in their prime with Moon & the Ox.

Townshend's performance that night defied belief. If Keith and Ronnie between them could play anywhere near that, there would be no complaints from anyone...(oh, and I saw Taylor this year too - still no comparison to Chairman Pete)

My fave 'Oo tunes :

Baba O'Riley (hairs on my neck REALLy did rise up when I heard the start of that one in June)
Love Reign 'oer me
Love aint for keeping

Most people (and I'd agree) plump for Who's Next and Quadrophenia as their favourite Who album - but much overlooked is "The Who By Numbers", which is also fantastic.

Plus Pete's "Empty Glass" solo album.

[Edited by Gazza]
December 30th, 2004 12:21 PM
Jumping Jack Ultimate Who song from the 70s: Young Man Blues

Get a good buzz this New Years and crank up the Live at Leeds version or IOW DVD. It gets no better than this!!!

Even though the DVDs are shitty quality search out Cleveland and Detroit 1975.

1975 gets my vote as the best year in rock with the Stones, Who, Zep and Skynyrd all on the top of their game.
December 30th, 2004 12:25 PM
Gimme Shelter Will see how the new Who album is come '05, but they will be touring behind it.
December 30th, 2004 03:35 PM
MRD8 For those of you WHO missed it I'll offer up the B&P again for The Who's 7-24-04 Yokohama proshot...the sound/picture quality are superb, and the musicianship is beyond description! For those of you who regularly take advantage of my B&P offers send three blank DVD+R's and a postage paid return mailer...all others send an email to [email protected] for details. Here's the setlist:
I Can't Explain, Substitute, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes, Real Good Looking Boy, Who Are You, 5.15, Love Reign O'er Me, My Generation, Old Red Wine, Won't Get Fooled Again, Pinball Wizard, Amazing Journey, Sparks, See Me Feel Me/Listening To You.
December 30th, 2004 08:45 PM
gypsymofo60 Definately! Up until the 80s well worthy of the second best band in the world tag. Now chaps don't go all nuts when I say this, but I actually felt The Who were a better live act in their prime. Good everytime they took the stage.
December 30th, 2004 08:58 PM
rolling who
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Definately! Up until the 80s well worthy of the second best band in the world tag. Now chaps don't go all nuts when I say this, but I actually felt The Who were a better live act in their prime. Good everytime they took the stage.

You'll get no disagreement from me on that. In fact, there's no doubt The 'Ooo completely upstaged the Stones at the 'R&R Circus,' and I'm sure we all know the legend that one of the reasons Mick kept the tapes in mothballs for 30 years was because he was jealous of how good the Who were and how bad they made the Stones look.
December 30th, 2004 09:22 PM
gypsymofo60 Yep! gotta agree on that one Rolling. Although I don't why Mick was supposedly pissed off at The Stones performance. I thought it was really quite good.
December 30th, 2004 10:47 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
1975 gets my vote as the best year in rock with the Stones, Who, Zep and Skynyrd all on the top of their game.

I couldn't agree more.
December 30th, 2004 11:53 PM
rolling who
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:

Really? I never thought '75 was a great year. The Stones only had a compilation ('Made in the Shade') and 'Metemorphasis.' Zep was pretty strong with 'Physical Graffiti,' but The Who weren't at their best with 'By Numbers,' which some people feel is vastly underrated but was never one of my favs (save for "However Much I Booze" and "Slip Kid"). Skynyrd I'm really not interested in.

I always thought '71 was a bellweather year -- 'Who's Next,' 'Sticky Fingers', 'ZOSO', 'Aqualung', 'Imagine.' And I've always looked at '87 as a dark horse year ('Joshua Tree,' 'Appetite For Destruction', 'Robbie RObertson', 'Graceland').
December 31st, 2004 12:22 AM
Snappy McJack Ah, screw the critics. "Face Dances" is something I can listen to and enjoy -- something from it will come on randomly in my stereo and I'll listen to it. I'm not that big of a Kenny Jones fan, though.

"How can you do it? How can you do it, without any help -- how could you do it, all by yourself?"
Page: 1 2
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood