It always feels new.
You make me purr and koo.
And if you all had a clue.
Tonight, you'd play Had It With You.

Maxlugar 1/11/02
Photo is Maxy Von Kinky Kink Kinko Kinkily in 1983

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: On this day 20 years ago... Return to archive
12-18-01 07:32 AM
Mathijs On this day exactly 20 years ago the Stones performed in Hampton, Virginia �together with New York, November 27 & 28, 1969 and Brussels, October 17, 1973, the best ever Stones performance, and arguably the last ever real great Stones performance �when they were still together and when they were still gods.

Mathijs

----------------------------------------------------------------
The Rolling Stones in Review

http://stonesinreview.tiscaliweb.nl/

The Lowdown on the Guitars of Keith Richards
Bootleg Reviews
Brussels Affair 1973
Vinyl Gang Productions / The Swingin' Pig
12-18-01 08:39 AM
~AzQb

On this day fifty nine years ago....

; )
~A
12-18-01 10:17 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yep, 20 years ago Keith gives a fan a lesson and a birtdhays's gift

Hit me Keith!
12-18-01 03:12 PM
Milton
quote:
~AzQb wrote:

; )
~A

fifty nine years ago????? What? Kieth is 58 years young today
12-18-01 05:06 PM
Gazza Keith "chops the mother down" ..

Oops...hit me upside the head,ronnie..er..keith!!

yeah thats a terrific show - hampton '81

Ive still never to this day been able to figure out the reason for the presence of a couple of sheep in the Stones shower room/locker room area in the pre-show scene on that telecast..

was there some logical reason or was it a joke by the band to imply that there was some kind of deviant activity goin' on?
12-18-01 05:06 PM
Tom
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
November 27 & 28, 1969 and Brussels, October 17, 1973, the best ever Stones performance, and arguably the last ever real great Stones performance �when they were still together and when they were still gods.

What about other tours? Don't tell me that you don't like 1975-1976 or 1989-1990 or VL or BTB or NS COME ON!!!
12-18-01 05:12 PM
Gazza The last three world tours were overall MUCH better than 81-82 - I certainly think all of them were better actually with the exception of 76 which was maybe the weakest (75 was a bit better than 76)

Hampton 18.12.81 was a gem of a show though.......but LAST great gig?? No way.

watch Tokyo'90,Miami'94,Rio'95 & Buenos Aires'98 for four great telecasts...theres plenty more

if anything the last decade has seen the Stones give a more consistent level of shows.After '82 Mick at least concentrated on SINGING onstage as opposed to running about for two hours wiggling his arse and shouting breathlessly.
12-18-01 05:16 PM
Sue 1978 was also a great tour, fantastic!
12-18-01 07:11 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
watch Tokyo'90,Miami'94,Rio'95 & Buenos Aires'98 for four great telecasts...theres plenty more

if anything the last decade has seen the Stones give a more consistent level of shows.After '82 Mick at least concentrated on SINGING onstage as opposed to running about for two hours wiggling his arse and shouting breathlessly.

I'm not really fond of most of the telecast-shows, because the Stones are trying too hard. They are too aware of the fact that their show will be seen by thousands/millions of people and the shows tend to get a bit slick and manufactured IMO. Like the guest appearances from Miami 94. It's good but not magic and Art like the shows Matthijs refers to. The Brussels Affair bootleg was my very first bootleg and still pretty much the best one I own. Not saying there weren't any good or great shows after Brussels 73.

But Gaza, you're right about Mick's singing. I've always hated most of his screaming (instead of singing) during most of the 81/82 shows. Mick has got better technically, but also more predictable (as have the shows) and maybe boring.

But, I'm 27 and I didn't get to see the shows before '81. So maybe then it's different. I still am glad that I got to see them lots of times and, despite boring setlists or whatever, I am looking forward to seeing them again. Better than nothing for me.
12-18-01 07:24 PM
Gazza I didnt see them till 82 either!

I think "brussels affair" is maybe the best Stones bootleg - sure - (I'd only really put Steel wheels tokyo and the 78 radio broadcast shows in the same ballpark..) but I was just disagreeing with an earlier post that there hasnt been great shows since 1981!

having met you in London in 99 when we were getting a cab across london to get shepherds bush tickets,I know youre like me in that you tend to go to a few shows each tour...
maybe the shows now are SLICKER - thats maybe natural with all the technical perfection needed for stadium shows - but also the setlists now are less predictable than before.. especially since 94 and especially BTB - back in the 70's you could go to any show and predict exactly what song would be played and in what order for the most part.

Thankfully in the last few years the band have realised that quite a few folks go to more than one show and they make regular changes to the set (not as many as they COULD and SHOULD do,mind you - but much more than prior to 1989 for sure!)
12-18-01 08:43 PM
Miss U. quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~AzQb wrote:

; )
~A

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fifty nine years ago????? What? Kieth is 58 years young today

Jezuzz; this is the best laugh I've had on here this week.
12-19-01 12:04 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl A toast to Keith, today 20 years ago about the same time

Sorry for the quality
12-19-01 04:07 AM
Mathijs There's a major difference between the pre-82 period and the post 89 period: Charlie. Before 82, Charlie was a loose, shuffling but powerfull drummer. I don't know why, some say it is due to Charlie's drug addiction of 83-85, but ever after 89 Charlie drums like a drum computer. Listen to Mixed Emotion and Almost Hear You Sigh. Great songs, but with a stacatto drumming. Muscically this makes a big difference. I am currently in a Stones coverband, and it is very easy to play like the post-82 Stones and to sound like the post-82 Stones. However, it is virtually impossible to play and sound like the 1969 Stones, or like the 1981 Stones. Ever since Bill Wyman left, ever since Ronnie is a drunk, ever since Charlie is a drum computer -the Stones are a mere session band with Keith and Mick fronting. There's just nothing special anymore, musically spoken (of course it still is a thrill to see them live). Anyone can play bass on Jumping Jack Flash, but only Bill can play it like Bill Wyman. Some people you can't substitute -there's no Keith anno 1972 anymore, there's no Charlie anno 1975 anymore, there's no Ronnie anno 1981 anymore. The Stones are a fucking good band nowadays, but they are nowhwere near this encredible swinging rocking driving full-of-mistakes--greates-band-in-the-world of the 1968 - 1981 period.

The Rolling Stones in Review

http://stonesinreview.tiscaliweb.nl/

The Lowdown on the Guitars of Keith Richards
Bootleg Reviews
Brussels Affair 1973
Vinyl Gang Productions / The Swingin' Pig
12-21-01 06:17 PM
~AzQb

....this is me brain... on EXcellent drugs ; )

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.