ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Stadio Giuseppe Meazza - San Siro, Milan - 11th July 2006
© Dave Hogan with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith in Times, 21 Dec. Return to archive
21st December 2007 03:12 AM
thejuf
KEITH RICHARDS
“Er . . . no one likes it,” said Richards in 1978 about the reaction to his first solo single, his cover of Chuck Berry’s Run Rudolph Run. Now it’s back again, on iTunes.

“I don’t know why it’s being rereleased,” he says. “It’s not my decision. I think someone said: ‘You’ve got only one Christmas song, Keith, let’s put it out again.’

“I recorded it in the middle of summer, 1978, in LA. Just me and Ronnie Wood overdubbing. Might be Charlie [Watts] on drums. We’d finished a Stones session, Ronnie and I were hanging around and it came out then. That’s the way it’s always been, some of us want to keep going and the others don’t.

“It was just a whim to release it then, as it is now. But at the same time, when the idea was put to me I thought: ‘Why not?’ It’s a great song, Chuck at his best. OK, the women don’t do so well in the lyric, they get a crying baby instead of a guitar for Christmas, but that’s Chuck.

“I spent a week with him before his 60th birthday concert [in 1986]. That was hell. I was S&M director – social and musical. He’s such a funny guy to work with, and not necessarily hilarious. Very moody. He has so many tensions going with musicians. I had to get the right bunch, one that would click. I brought along my good friend Etta James – I believe we had a backstage wedding once, we were pretty out of it – anyway, he wanted her there, but when she started to sing, wallop! He’s the only guy who has hit me that I haven’t hit back. He gave me a great big black eye backstage somewhere. I’d touched his guitar. I mean, God forbid I’d do something like that, eh? I said: ‘Thanks for the golden hit, baby.’

“But the guy’s a legend. He’s why I got into rock’n’roll. So many incredible songs. You revere him because of that. The first time Rudolph came out it was a bit of fun, a bit of tinsel on the tree. I wasn’t looking for: ‘Wow, Keith Richards has covered Run Rudolph Run – fantastic!’ That’s why I put it out then and why I’m putting it now. To wish everyone a happy Christmas. Santa’s coming to town. It’s the season to be jolly. Heh heh.”
21st December 2007 06:26 PM
FotiniD Thanks Juf.
God, I love this guy.
21st December 2007 06:27 PM
Some Guy good tune.
31st December 2007 01:16 PM
Bitch Interesting that KEEF thinks nobody liked the song, lol. I have it, and I listen to it, but I cant really say that I LIKE it, lol, I just wanted to have it for my collection.
31st December 2007 01:26 PM
Lavendar Good Read! Thanks...
There was also mention of Keith in "Esquire", not a big deal but I'am always Surprised and Happy to encounter "Rolling Stones" related material. *_*

Wishing all "ROCKS OFF in 2008"

blush
LOLhahahaha
31st December 2007 01:50 PM
Mr.D

Cool, thanks

i love the song, perfect xmas, rock n roll song, keiths voice is brilliant on it, rough but fluid, and the sound of the guitars and drums and everything, i think its a great track
31st December 2007 03:07 PM
~Cocaine Eyes~ Keith didn't like 'Exile' either. So, there you go. Thanks for posting this.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)