ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Stadio Giuseppe Meazza - San Siro, Milan - 11th July 2006
© Dave Hogan with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ethan Russell to tour discussing about Stones tour 1969 and signing copies of his book Return to archive
19th December 2007 05:08 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Ethan Russell will be discussing and signing copies of his new limited edition collectible book Let It Bleed: The Rolling Stones 1969 U.S. Tour on Thursday December 20 at the Rhino Pop Up Store in Los Angles.

The event runs from 6:45 to 8:00 PM, and both the standard and deluxe versions of the book will be available for purchase. The Rhino Pop Up Store is open for the month of December only at 8032 W. 3rd Street, between Fairfax and Crescent Heights in Los Angeles.

Call the store for details at 323 944 0939. For more information on this collectible edition, please see http://www.letitbleedbook.com
19th December 2007 05:16 PM
glencar Rhino has a store? Sounds cool!
19th December 2007 06:05 PM
CousinC E.Russel is one of my favourite Stones photographers!

I loved his ca.69-71 pics. Some of them were in that great D.Dalton book from 72.
There was talk of Genesis doing a book of his stuff.
19th December 2007 06:07 PM
fireontheplatter is this the newer book on the stoners that costs like a grand?
19th December 2007 06:08 PM
SweetVirginia Ethan Russell took some of my favorite Stones photos. He's amazing.

I'm guessing not many here on RO will be buying the book. The standard edition is $650, deluxe edition $950.

Holy shit.

http://www.letitbleedbook.com/collectible.php

[Edited by SweetVirginia]
19th December 2007 06:37 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Ethan Russell took some of my favorite Stones photos. He's amazing.

I'm guessing not many here on RO will be buying the book. The standard edition is $650, deluxe edition $950.

Holy shit.

Yes..I'll put that on my Christmas list along with a Sebastian Kruger.....
19th December 2007 06:55 PM
fireontheplatter i'll pass on this signing......i'm still sorta buzzing on my ron wood autograph.

19.95 from the real deal beats a gramd....anyday
19th December 2007 07:13 PM
Jaggedblues I'd love to have this book but $650? Damn.

The most I ever spent for a book was $55 and I thought that was a pricey book.
19th December 2007 07:19 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Jaggedblues wrote:

The most I ever spent for a book was $55 and I thought that was a pricey book.

was that book called.....the joy of sex?
19th December 2007 07:45 PM
Brainbell Jangler
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

For $55 you can buy actual sex, not just a book . . . or so I've read.
19th December 2007 08:26 PM
stonedinaustralia The most I ever spent for a book was $55 and I thought that was a pricey book.
19th December 2007 08:26 PM
GimmeExile Thanks for the heads-up, Voodoo!

That's close to my office...I'll stop by after work. I've been planning to see this pop-up Rhino store.
19th December 2007 11:22 PM
Jaggedblues
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:

LOL. I do tend to collect books about my hobbies. However, to me at least, it's an ironclad rule that specific topic isn't nearly as enjoyable to read about as it is to just flat-out partake in. Perhaps your mileage varies dramatically given your familiarity of it as a reading topic.

FWIW the book I had purchased was The Encyclopedia of New York City.
20th December 2007 12:22 AM
glencar
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Ethan Russell took some of my favorite Stones photos. He's amazing.

Holy shit.

I'd love a copy. If anyone does buy one, please send it along to me. TIA!
20th December 2007 08:23 AM
SweetVirginia Funny enough, that's what I got you for Christmas, Glencar!
20th December 2007 10:46 AM
glencar Bless you!
20th December 2007 02:56 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
GimmeExile wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up, Voodoo!

That's close to my office...I'll stop by after work. I've been planning to see this pop-up Rhino store.

Glad it helped! Please let us know how it was
21st December 2007 02:52 AM
riccardo Got my De Luxe edition yesterday.It is a wonderful book, very massive(420 pages) in very large format with tons of b&w (mostly)and colour photos and also a lot of text including some interesting interviews with Stones members, Jo Bergmann,Chip Monk, Sam Cutler, Stanley Boot etc. Some funny stories: BJ wanted to go to Hyde Park to wish good luck to MT/Bill & MT pretended to lower their guitars down from the ampli in order to let Keith do the same (for real) when he was too loud/Bill wanted to invent an instrument that turn a light on when a guitar was in tune,KR told him he had to use his ears for that and Bill replied that he was always in tune,he thought of the instrument for Keith that was off tune most/Bill Graham had to pay 50% upfront for the Oakland shows. There are plenty of great photos including some with Bukkha White and a great one of Stu in a white tuxedo. The last 20 pages are devoted to the 72 tour. You can also check it at www.letitbleedbook.com
[Edited by riccardo]
21st December 2007 09:28 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Ciao Riccardo!

You don't miss a good collector's item! Do you?
21st December 2007 11:16 AM
Riffhard It looks like a great book. I love the fact that Ethan used only the people that were really there and played an important role in the story of that period of the Stones' career.

I have said many times that Stanley Booth's book was the very best book ever written about the band by a long shot. It seems that I am not alone in that assessment.

From Ethan Russell's website-

Stanley Booth
Writer
In 1969 Stanley Booth received from the Rolling Stones "their exclusive cooperation in putting together a book about the Rolling Stones." He devoted 15 years of his life to it. The True Adventures Of The Rolling Stones has been called "the one authentic masterpiece of rock 'n' roll writing." Keith Richards says, "Stanley's book is the only one I can read and say, 'Yeah, that's how it was.'" Born in Georgia in 1942, Stanley first met the Rolling Stones in 1968. Still writing, Stanley lives in Brunswick, Georgia, with his wife, Diann

Riffy

21st December 2007 11:40 AM
gypsy
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
It looks like a great book. I love the fact that Ethan used only the people that were really there and played an important role in the story of that period of the Stones' career.

I have said many times that Stanley Booth's book was the very best book ever written about the band by a long shot. It seems that I am not alone in that assessment.

From Ethan Russell's website-

Stanley Booth
Writer
In 1969 Stanley Booth received from the Rolling Stones "their exclusive cooperation in putting together a book about the Rolling Stones." He devoted 15 years of his life to it. The True Adventures Of The Rolling Stones has been called "the one authentic masterpiece of rock 'n' roll writing." Keith Richards says, "Stanley's book is the only one I can read and say, 'Yeah, that's how it was.'" Born in Georgia in 1942, Stanley first met the Rolling Stones in 1968. Still writing, Stanley lives in Brunswick, Georgia, with his wife, Diann

Riffy

I love Booth's writing. Riffy, if you haven't read Booth's "Rhythm [sic] Oil," you should. It's great!

I also have a crush on Booth...even now that he is a white-haired old man. Something about those Georgia boys, a la Gram Parsons. SIGH.
21st December 2007 11:45 AM
Riffhard
quote:
gypsy wrote:

I love Booth's writing. Riffy, if you haven't read Booth's "Rhythm [sic] Oil," you should. It's great!

I also have a crush on Booth...even now that he is a white-haired old man. Something about those Georgia boys, a la Gram Parsons. SIGH.

You are aware of the fact that I was born on Peachtree Street at Crawford Long Memorial Hospital in the heart of Hotlanta, Georgia, right? You just do not get more Atlanta than me. I mean you know that, right? You know that I am a Georgia boy? Right? You know that? Me. A Georgia boy. Because I am. A Georgia boy.

Riffy
21st December 2007 11:51 AM
gypsy
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

You are aware of the fact that I was born on Peachtree Street at Crawford Long Memorial Hospital in the heart of Hotlanta, Georgia, right? You just do not get more Atlanta than me. I mean you know that, right? You know that I am a Georgia boy? Right? You know that? Me. A Georgia boy. Because I am. A Georgia boy.

Riffy

No! I had no idea - seriously. Well, that explains why I've always found you so damn charasmatic.
I really didn't know that. That's cool. I like you even more now.
21st December 2007 12:13 PM
Riffhard
quote:
gypsy wrote:

No! I had no idea - seriously. Well, that explains why I've always found you so damn charasmatic.
I really didn't know that. That's cool. I like you even more now.

Aw shucks! Gee thanks Gypsy ! I find you purty cool yerself, but surely you know that already?!

I do miss Atlanta quite a bit. Living in New Jersey it's easy to forget how cordial everyone is down south. I moved from Atlanta in 1990. First to Boca Raton (Southern New York!). Then to Jersey. I do get to go back every summer to see my family though. One thing that I do not miss about Atlanta is the heat and humidity down there. They don't call it Hotlanta for nothing. The old saying "Hotter than Georgia asphalt" is truer than you could know. I also don't miss the traffic. Outside of LA there is no worse traffic in the USA.

I do love New Jersey though. Well I should preface that. I love the Jersey Shore. The state gets a bad rap,unfairly, for the most part, but as for the Jersey Shore? It is easily the best place to live in the Tri State area IMHO. We are one a one hour drive from Manhattan. A One drive from Atlantic City,and a one hour drive from Philly. Plus I am less than a 1/4 of a mile from the nicest beach on the Eastern Seaboard.

Riffy
28th December 2007 07:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Ethan A. Russell's "Let It Bleed: The Rolling Stones 1969 U.S. Tour" is a rich portrait for the ardent rock lover rich enough to splurge for it.
By Randy Lewis, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
December 30, 2007

Coffee-table books on historic rock tours are a dime a dozen. Photographer Ethan A. Russell's weighty new tome, "Let It Bleed: The Rolling Stones 1969 U.S. Tour," from Rhino Books will set you back about 6,500 dimes (for the limited edition; 9,500 for the deluxe version), but the subject is one of the truly pivotal events in the annals of rock.

Images dominate, of course, in a large-format work like this -- it's 15 inches long, a foot wide and 4 inches thick, and Russell, being one of a surprisingly small entourage of just 16 people on the tour, the Stones included, had a bird's-eye view of the action.

The tour started festively in November 1969 (at the Inglewood Forum, where Russell photographed a top-hatted Gram Parsons hanging backstage). Hendrix and Stones guitarist Mick Taylor were snapped trading licks in a dressing room at another stop.

Russell supplies his own observations and has interviewed others who were there, and he has assembled a sometimes hilarious, often enlightening, frequently sobering look at what was going on behind the scenes.

The tour culminated -- or bottomed out -- with a final added show that the band members wanted to play in San Francisco. But when they couldn't work out terms to do it in the city, they shifted to nearby Altamont Speedway. That's where the rosy glow of the Woodstock Nation born four months earlier turned black when a fan was stabbed to death in front of the stage by Hells Angels providing security. Russell's photos don't show the incident but capture much of the anarchy that led to it.

It's a rich portrait for the ardent rock lover rich enough to splurge for it.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)