ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Stadio Giuseppe Meazza - San Siro, Milan - 11th July 2006
© Dave Hogan with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ike Turner has died. Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th December 2007 03:10 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

Ouch !!!!!

you are much loved

13th December 2007 03:25 PM
polytoxic
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Anyone know if he went to Hell or Heaven?

Thanks.

Through a psychic we've contacted the great beyond. Apparently he is in Purgatory. Ike says he's stuck posting on a Zep vs.Stones thread for next 500 years.
13th December 2007 03:38 PM
voodoopug
quote:
polytoxic wrote:

Through a psychic we've contacted the great beyond. Apparently he is in Purgatory. Ike says he's stuck posting on a Zep vs.Stones thread for next 500 years.

If i was there, and he represented Zep...I'd have him humiliated and on his way in a matter of moments.
13th December 2007 06:27 PM
nanatod
quote:
Water Dragon wrote:
Pinetop, only last year in 2006, was a better performer than Ike could have ever hoped to be.

I respectfully dissent. Over the years I have seen a number of Pinetop performances at the Chicago Blues Festival and elsewhere, and I was at the two Ike performances at the Chicago Blues Festival.

There was nothing like the electricity Ike generated in those two performances.
13th December 2007 06:53 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:

Thanks.

The answer to this question, and many others, on tonight's Replacement Party.

Two hours of Ike. 9 -11 pm est

http://www.wpvm.org

13th December 2007 07:38 PM
Water Dragon Ahh, respectfully...a very nice voice...

I saw Pinetop play with Muddy Waters and Johnny Winters, a few decades ago, then last year with Kim Wilson, various luminaries, AND a horn section...believe me, he rocked the house. As stated, I saw Ike & Tina w/The Ikettes, right before she left him....in Albuquerque, NM. I went to the after-hours party and thought that Tina was being too much of a "star" with big shades and a big floppy hat...little did I know, until I read her bio what she was up against. I still have their autographed piccie. The on-stage performance was "good" but certainly not dynamic, or that memorable.

Ike still has quite a considerable musical legacy, though I read today that he is being given credit for (erroneously) starting Howlin' Wolf & Muddy on their respective careers...

It seems that hyperbole rules these days...so your opinion is certainly valid, just different times and eras when we saw him. (As an aside, there was a very tight back-up group of performers, because the man ran a very slick ship, certainly was evident from those years past, that I do clearly remember.)

Peace!

W.D.
13th December 2007 10:19 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle Obit headline in today's NY Post - Ike 'Beats' Tina To Death
13th December 2007 11:31 PM
Sioux
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
Obit headline in today's NY Post - Ike 'Beats' Tina To Death

Whoa...really? Whoa....wonder how Tina would feel about that headline?
13th December 2007 11:50 PM
CCM Rocket 88 ... may have been the birth of Rock & Roll ... as Wyman wrote the first time true R&B and old time Blues were mixed ... movies like dreams can be a bit weird and less than truthful ... of course the truth could be stranger yet ... RIP
14th December 2007 01:39 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

The answer to this question, and many others, on tonight's Replacement Party.

Two hours of Ike. 9 -11 pm est

http://www.wpvm.org

great setlist - thx.

_____

here are a few words re: ike from tomorrow's paper...

quote:
Ike Turner's music shouldn't be forgotten

The pop world remembers Ike and Tina Turner best for their transcendent fusion of mainstream rock songwriting and Southern soul on hits such as "Come Together" and "Proud Mary."

His huge contributions shouldn't be forgotten, despite his history of abuse.

By Elijah Wald, Special to The Times
December 14, 2007

THE last time I saw Ike Turner he had just turned 70, but he looked great, played piano and guitar with phenomenal power, and took his listeners from Delta blues through classic R&B, rock 'n' roll and the golden age of soul.

Turner not only knew all of that music first-hand, he helped invent a lot of it. He grew up in the Mississippi Delta and got his first hit in 1951, when at age 19 he brought his Kings of Rhythm to Sam Phillips' Memphis Recording Service (soon to become Sun Records) and cut "Rocket 88." A rollicking blues driven by his jet-propelled piano, it had a fresh, new rhythm and energy and today is widely considered the first rock 'n' roll record.

Meanwhile, Turner was learning his trade, scouting talent for Phillips and playing on the early recordings of blues legends, including Howlin' Wolf, Bobby Blue Bland and B.B. King, who would later call him "the best bandleader I've ever seen."

In 1956, Turner moved to St. Louis, and in 1960 he had his next breakthrough, writing, arranging and playing on one of the defining masterpieces of early soul. "A Fool In Love" featured a young woman named Anna Mae Bullock, whom he renamed Tina, and the combination of her fiery lead vocal and his churning, gospel-inflected backing chart helped form the template for an era.

The pop world remembers Ike and Tina Turner best for their transcendent fusion of mainstream rock songwriting and Southern soul on hits such as "Come Together" and "Proud Mary."

But they made their defining mark in 1961-62, when they topped the R&B charts and crossed over to a young white audience with the raw gospel-blues of "It's Gonna Work Out Fine" and "I'm Blue (The Gong-Gong Song)" and other tracks. Between those discs, Ike also made one of the great twangy guitar instrumentals, "Prancing," but the vocal discs were so hot that this almost counts as an afterthought.

Given that history, it is disturbing that most of Turner's early obituaries are giving as much space to his abuse of Tina as to his and their music. Just as Turner, Chuck Berry and James Brown all went to prison for crimes for which comparable white stars have been punished with slaps on the wrist, it is hard to imagine an equally important white musician receiving similar deathbed testimonials.

Most modern pop fans probably wouldn't know Ike's name if he hadn't discovered, developed and showcased Tina, so his treatment of her is necessarily part of his story. But by the same token, the reason we care so much about that treatment is that Tina is a superstar -- that is, in a world where other abusive male stars treated women as groupies and playthings, Ike also had the vision to recognize and musically nurture one of rock's few true female icons.

And more than 30 years after Tina went on to a solo career, he was still working the clubs and playing some of the finest music around. Whatever Ike Turner's sins, music was always at the center of his life, and when all the rest is forgotten, that will remain.

Elijah Wald is a musician and writer whose books include "Escaping the Delta: Robert Johnson and the Invention of the Blues."

quote:
Ike Turner: reviled and revered

The singer-bandleader's life could almost be defined as 'Rivers Deep and Mountains High.'

By Ann Powers, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
December 14, 2007

CULTURAL icons can't choose what they come to represent. Ike Turner was an icon; that was his burden and his punishment. Loving him was not a possibility for many who discovered his genius after his repellent secrets had been revealed. Appreciating him requires coming to terms with the double bind of rock and soul-era sexuality, a liberating force underpinned by racism, female objectification and machismo.

For the first half of his life, Turner was known as one of rock 'n' roll's inventors -- a dazzling pianist, raucous guitarist and ingenious showman whose songs pushed the blues into a new era. Then, in 1986, his ex-wife and musical partner, Tina Turner, published her autobiography, which recounted his mistreatment of her in horrifying detail. The book and its 1993 film version became key to feminist reassessments of rock and soul, and central to the growing literature of abuse survivors.

Tina, once stuck within an image of primal sensuality, was reborn as a self-possessed heroine. Ike sank further into obscurity. He was in prison in 1991 when the pair were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Over the subsequent decade, though he kicked the drug habit that apparently fueled his volatile temper, his image just got worse.

Then came the comeback. After 2001, when Turner returned to the stage and made the Grammy-nominated "Here and Now," he became a symbol of something else: the maligned rock hero. A victimizer, yes, but also a victim of those who'd privilege personal stories over musical ones. Turner's strong later albums and performances gave credence to his rehabilitation. The critical reassessments that followed refocused fans on his role as a musical groundbreaker.

Turner's return was also part of a swing of the pop pendulum, away from the questions about power and freedom raised by revisionists like Tina herself and toward a less "uptight" view of both music and sexuality. New looks at figures like Turner (or Led Zeppelin, to cite another example) acknowledged these artists' troubling qualities but demanded that the magic of their music not be denied.

The thing is, the magic and the troubling stuff can't be separated. Ike Turner's fierceness was rooted in brutality: a childhood that included witnessing his father's lynching and an adulthood as part of a "hard" music culture in which male leaders whipped their bands into shape and might also slap their wives around. The same cycle of pain and survival informs today's hyper-macho hip-hop artists, some of whom emulate Turner's icy-suave style.

I saw Turner twice during the comeback years. He didn't seem like an evil icon; more like a time-tempered, if unrepentant, old man. His music was joyful -- part escape from the hard world, part confident confrontation. But the dynamism of his act still relied on the tension between female heat and male swagger, a conflict at the root of some powerful notions of sexiness and also some forms of abuse.

Ike Turner's music taught us much. So did his sins. We should remember both.

[Edited by mac_daddy]
14th December 2007 08:44 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

great setlist - thx.

Any time, Mac. Thanks for checking it out.

Great op eds. thx.

That show'll be up in the archives later today and will be there all week.
14th December 2007 04:30 PM
Torn and Frayed An article by Reuters', reporting on Ike's death, had the best title: "Ike 'beat' Tina to death."
14th December 2007 09:49 PM
polksalad69
quote:
nanatod wrote:

I respectfully dissent. Over the years I have seen a number of Pinetop performances at the Chicago Blues Festival and elsewhere, and I was at the two Ike performances at the Chicago Blues Festival.

There was nothing like the electricity Ike generated in those two performances.

word. I only caught the Ike headlining gig but there is a boot of him and pinetop from the cbf. Ike was a riot that night at the petrillo, yessir, electric. pinetop aint to bad either, when he plays w/Hubert, he is the better of the two.

rip Ike
[Edited by polksalad69]
14th December 2007 10:04 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:

15th December 2007 08:44 AM
Water Dragon Long, lean, mean, bad-ass mutha!

Luv it, Voodoo!
17th December 2007 07:36 PM
robpop Any news on Castro?

19th December 2007 08:51 PM
mac_daddy wowza! many, many thanks, dj nasty, for making that mp3 available. what a great way to spend two hours. lots of thoughts, but i need to listen once more to get it all down...

19th December 2007 10:28 PM
The jinn, my friend. Hope enough time has past to say this out loud......

Congratulations Tina. You did it. You out lived the scoundrel.
20th December 2007 12:44 AM
glencar
quote:
robpop wrote:
Any news on Castro?

He's revolting...
20th December 2007 09:03 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
wowza! many, many thanks, dj nasty, for making that mp3 available. what a great way to spend two hours. lots of thoughts, but i need to listen once more to get it all down...

Look forward to hearing what you have to say, Mac.

That MP3'll be up on the Replacement Party's Myspace page for the forseeable future.

30th December 2007 04:22 PM
mac_daddy ^^
just a quick note to say that the live stuff at the end of the show sent me on a quest to find that "what you see is what you hear" double lp. those two tracks you played are the shizzle...

more to come.

(and thx again for the tunes, dj nasty)

1st January 2008 03:02 AM
east_river_trucker
quote:
polytoxic wrote:
Funny how a movie made 20+ years ago that most people haven't seen settles a man's life in everyone's minds.

Too true. Similar could be said about Jerry Lee Lewis. One really bad story hits the press, and boom the career is over. Therefore, now days the record companies provide publicists to cover for their bought and paid for "artists".

Ike, being uneducated and unwise to the ways of the world, sold what little career he had left, for like 40k, on the promise not to sue the movie folks - giving them complete control to say anything. Otherwise the movie people would not agree to invest the neccasary money into making the picture - covering themselves from a law suit. He sold his legacy for 40 shekels of silver, so to speak, or was duped into it. Now for all future time he will be a wife beater, even though even Tina denies it. Oh well, it made for a good movie, and the white folks got rich off a black man's ignorance and misfortune. Then they used the money to build a fence around their LA mansions to keep the impoverished natives at bay when they get restless. God Bless the "free" (for some) market.

quote:
He was a genius musician, he was a father of rock'n'roll, and before he lost it and everything went to hell he and Tina made amazing, sympathetic music together.

I'm suprised nobody mentioned the spine tingling performance from Ike and Tina on Gimme Shelter - the performance that makes the Stones look like a bunch of Limey imitators in cardigan sweaters.
1st January 2008 10:58 AM
gypsy
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

That is one of the coolest photos ever.
1st January 2008 07:52 PM
TampabayStone
quote:
east_river_trucker wrote:

I'm suprised nobody mentioned the spine tingling performance from Ike and Tina on Gimme Shelter - the performance that makes the Stones look like a bunch of Limey imitators in cardigan sweaters.

Does anyone know where I can find it? Yahoo search is using the Google search engine, right?
Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)