ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Your mouth don't move but I can hear you speak!

Remembering the Tour - show by show marathon
Stadio Giuseppe Meazza - San Siro, Milan - 11th July 2006
© Dave Hogan with thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2007 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ike Turner has died. Return to archive Page: 1 2
12th December 2007 04:25 PM
LoveinVainRonnie TMZ has confirmed that music legend and the former Mr. Anna Mae Bullock has died. He was 76.

Turner apparently died in his home in San Marcos, Calif., just outside of San Diego.

Sources close to the family tell TMZ he may have died in his sleep.

Story developing ...http://www.tmz.com/2007/12/12/ike-turner-has-died/
12th December 2007 04:26 PM
pdog He invented the bitch slap, or so I heard...
RIP wife beater...
12th December 2007 04:35 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
pdog wrote:
He invented the bitch slap, or so I heard...
RIP wife beater...

I'd prefer to remember his contribution to Rock n' Roll at this time.
12th December 2007 04:38 PM
gimmekeef Wonder if he mistakenly bought more "Drano" coke?....RIP but the guy was a scumbag....
12th December 2007 04:48 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

agreed
12th December 2007 05:03 PM
Joey

RIP IKE

" Woman's no longer be thinkin' too much Ronnie ! "

Joey " IKE " Turner
12th December 2007 05:13 PM
pdog
quote:

I wish I felt the same as you... I do acknowledge it, but in my eyes, he's something else before a musician.
Like I said, RIP.
12th December 2007 05:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
12th December 2007 05:37 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
pdog wrote:
I wish I felt the same as you... I do acknowledge it, but in my eyes, he's something else before a musician.
Like I said, RIP.

I was raised by my grandparents. My grandfather was a wife beater...big time....and an everyone else beater too, including a me beater. It can be forgiven....to a degree.
12th December 2007 05:40 PM
M.O.W.A.T.
12th December 2007 05:51 PM
SweetVirginia Here's to Ike. Hope someone is beating on him right now on the "other side".

12th December 2007 05:59 PM
TomL Yea Ike's going to the men's prison. Turd On The Run.......
12th December 2007 06:16 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:

I was raised by my grandparents. My grandfather was a wife beater...big time....and an everyone else beater too, including a me beater. It can be forgiven....to a degree.

i wouldn't feel to bad...hell, some of my past girlfriends begged me beat/slap/love pat them.

glad you came out on top ttm. was it the long butt cold dark nights in the boondocks of maine that sparked this behaviour?

rest in peace ike.
12th December 2007 06:25 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
was it the long butt cold dark nights in the boondocks of maine that sparked this behaviour?

No. Georgraphy doesn't have any thing to do with it. I don't know what "sparked" it. One of my aunts is into all that "recovery" crap. She knows all the jargon about it.
12th December 2007 06:29 PM
gypsy
quote:
SweetVirginia wrote:
Here's to Ike. Hope someone is beating on him right now on the "other side".

Amen to that!
12th December 2007 06:32 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:

No. Georgraphy doesn't have any thing to do with it. I don't know what "sparked" it. One of my aunts is into all that "recovery" crap. She knows all the jargon about it.

i bet it was the crystal palace or the popov then. crappy booze works in mysterious and different ways.

good luck with your recovery
Back Street Girl
quote:
LoveinVainRonnie wrote:
TMZ has confirmed that music legend and the former Mr. Anna Mae Bullock has died. He was 76.

Turner apparently died in his home in San Marcos, Calif., just outside of San Diego.

Sources close to the family tell TMZ he may have died in his sleep.

Story developing ...http://www.tmz.com/2007/12/12/ike-turner-has-died/

Oh Well.
Joey " .... was it the long butt cold dark nights in the boondocks of maine that sparked this behaviour? "

12th December 2007 06:35 PM
gypsy Working late tonight, Joey?

I've got something special waiting for you whenever you get home.

12th December 2007 07:41 PM
Ten Thousand Motels http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ike_Turner

Ike Wister Turner (November 5, 1931 – December 12, 2007) was an American musician, bandleader, talent scout and record producer, best known for his work with his former wife Tina Turner as one half of the Ike & Tina Turner duo. Spanning a career that lasted half a century, Ike's repertoire included blues, soul, rock and funk. Alongside his former wife, he was inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1991 and in 2001 was inducted into the St. Louis Walk of Fame. Turner died at 76 years old at his home in San Marcos, California, near San Diego. [1]

Biography

Early life and career
Turner was born in Clarksdale, Mississippi on November 5, 1931, to Beatrice Cushenberry and Izear Luster Turner. Ike got his first taste of pleasing an audience at the age of eight working at the local Clarksdale radio station, WROX, located in the Alcazar Hotel in downtown Clarksdale. A man in charge of the station put Turner to work as he watched the record turntables. Said Turner:

“ I got a job driving the elevator in the Alcazar and the radio station was on the second floor. It was very exciting to me, a radio station. I'd run up to the second floor and look through the window at the guy spinning records. He saw me and tole me to come in and showed me how to 'hold a record.' I'd sit there and hold it until the one playing stopped, then I'd turn a knob and the one I was holding would play. Next thing I know, he was going across the street for coffee and leaving me in there alone. I was only eight. That was the beginning of my thing with music. ”

Turner was soon carrying amplifiers for blues singer Robert Nighthawk, who often played live on WROX. Ike was mesmerized by Nighthawk's playing, but nothing could equal the experience of hearing Pinetop Perkins on piano for the first time. Growing up, his idol Pinetop Perkins helped teach the young Ike to play boogie-woogie on the piano. Ike soon was enamored of other blues artists such as Howlin' Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson (Rice Miller), Elmore James, Muddy Waters and Little Walter[2].

Many sources state Turner's real name to be "Izear Luster Turner, Jr." however, in his autobiography Takin' Back My Name, it is stated as "Ike Wister Turner." In the book, Turner explains about this confusion. His father, Izear Luster Turner, was a minister for the local church. Turner had thought he was named Izear Luster Turner, Jr. after his father, until he found out that his name was registered as Ike Wister Turner while applying for his first passport. He never got to discover the origin of his name, as by the time he discovered it, his parents were both dead.

Music career
Ike Turner's actual music career began in earnest in the late-1940s where he formed a group whom he christened The Kings of Rhythm. In 1951, the band recorded what historians have debated as "the first rock and roll record" with "Rocket 88", listed on the charts as Jackie Brenston and His Delta Cats. Brenston was both the band's saxophonist and the leading vocalist of the song and Turner was the original writer though credits initially stated that Brenston had written it also. The song was one of the first examples of guitar distortion, which happened by accident when one of the amplifiers dropped before the recording. Ike and the Kings of Rhythm settled into local fame in St. Louis where the band locally recorded for a St. Louis label and even appeared on local television shows. Throughout this early period, Turner became a recording scout and A&R man for independent record companies including Sun Records - where "Rocket 88" was recorded at, helping the likes of Howlin' Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson, Elmore James and Otis Rush get signed. He also became a sideman playing guitar for these blues acts and more. Musically, Turner was known for his hard-hitting guitar style. He was known to put the whammy bar of his Fender Stratocaster to frequent use.

Turner's music career changed drastically after meeting a teenage singer from Nutbush, Tennessee named Anna Mae Bullock, who demandingly grabbed a microphone during a singing session at one of St. Louis' nightspots and sung a BB King song in her now-trademark throated raspy vocals. Bullock's performance impressed Ike so much he allowed Anna to join his band as a background singer. However within a year, Ike's plans for Bullock changed after Anna recorded what he originally stated was a demo for a song that was to be sung by a male vocalist. After hearing her vocals, he let it be released under an independent label and in the process changed the name of the singer from Anna Mae Bullock to Tina Turner - naming her after Sheena, and the name of the band to the Ike & Tina Turner Revue. That song, "A Fool in Love", became a national hit reaching the top three of the R&B charts becoming a top thirty pop hit in the process in early 1960. From then until 1976, Ike and Tina Turner became one of the most explosive duos in rock & soul music. The creation of the revue also led to the soul revues of the 1960s. Inspired by Ray Charles, Turner created a trio of sexy background singers and dancers who were named The Ikettes who often had their moves choreographed by Tina and Ike. The Turners eventually scored several hit singles including "It's Gonna Work Out Fine", "River Deep - Mountain High", "I Want To Take You Higher", "Proud Mary" and "Nutbush City Limits" in between thirteen years.

The success the duo contributed eventually led to the creation of the Los Angeles-based Bolic Sounds studio, founded by Ike. However, after Tina abruptly left Ike after a violent altercation in 1976, Ike struggled to find success and after releasing two failed solo albums found himself facing drug and weapons charges throughout the 1980s and 1990s. But shortly after Ike's release from prison in 1993, the musician went back on the road and back into recording music, which has continued to this day. In 2001, Ike released the Grammy-nominated Here & Now album. Three years later, he was awarded with an "Heroes Award" from the Memphis charter of NARAS. In 2005, he appeared on the Gorillaz' album, Demon Days, playing piano on the track, "Every Planet We Reach Is Dead". He played live with the band on the band's world tour to that particular song. In 2007, Ike won his first solo Grammy in the Best Traditional Blues Album category for the album, Risin' With the Blues. A collaboration between Turner and the rock band, The Black Keys, by Gorillaz' producer Danger Mouse, is expected for a release next year.

Personal life
Turner is said to have been married 14 times but he has only been known to have married four times publicly. Turner's first marriage was to Lorraine Taylor, who had two sons with Ike. Although their marriage has been debated, it's believed Ike married Tina in 1962 due to worries over being sued for child support and alimony payments by Taylor. Ike and Tina married in Tijuana, Mexico and Tina had a son with Ike. However, their marriage was overshadowed by Ike's constant abuse towards her. Eventually, Tina left him after an especially violent dispute escalated while riding to a hotel before a show in Dallas in 1976.[citation needed] Tina later filed for divorce and it was finalized in 1978 with Ike keeping every asset attained during the marriage with the obvious exception of her given stage name. Ike openly cheated on Tina with other women, one of which was former Ikette Ann Thomas, whom he had a baby by and later married in 1981. In 1995, he married yet another Ikette, Jeanette Bazzell. Ike has four known children: sons Ike Jr., Michael and Ronald and daughter Mia.[3]

Turner suffered a brush with the law in the mid-1980s when he was convicted of drug-related charges and sentenced to several years in a California state prison. Unfortunately Turner was still in prison pleading parole when he and Tina were inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1991, which Tina accepted on his behalf.

In 2001, Turner's long-awaited autobiography, Takin' Back My Name (ISBN 1-85227-850-1), was published. In Tina Turner's 1986 autobiography I, Tina, later filmed as What's Love Got to Do with It?, Tina accused Ike of violent spousal abuse, which Ike repeatedly denied for many years. However, in his 2001 autobiography Ike admitted, Sure, I've slapped Tina... There have been times when I punched her to the ground without thinking. But I never beat her.

Turner has attributed many problems off the stage to his drug and alcohol addiction and intense use of cocaine, resulting in his abusive behavior and relationship with his wife and children. Since being released from prison in 1993, Turner had maintained sobriety and continued playing music.

In an October 17, 2007 telephone interview conducted by satellite radio personality Howard Stern, Ike claimed he and Tina Turner were never actually married, though he didn't explain why they shared the same last name.

Death
Ike Turner died in his home, reportedly in his sleep, on December 12, 2007.[4]

12th December 2007 10:03 PM
Water Dragon Growing up, his idol Pinetop Perkins helped teach the young Ike to play boogie-woogie on the piano. Ike soon was enamored of other blues artists such as Howlin' Wolf, Sonny Boy Williamson (Rice Miller), Elmore James, Muddy Waters and Little Walter[2].

I've seen Pinetop, who is still hitting it. I saw Tina & Ike during the last leg of their marriage...Pinetop, only last year in 2006, was a better performer than Ike could have ever hoped to be.

Still, Ike & Tina put together some monumental R&B sides...RIP Ike!

W.D.
12th December 2007 11:19 PM
Barney Fife Some considered Rocket 88 to be the very first rock n roll song.

RIP Ike.
13th December 2007 01:30 AM
Zack Pinetop Perkins. Great name!
13th December 2007 07:59 AM
gustavobala - yes, pinetop are great

- may tina is happy now

- i like ike´s music....RIP!
13th December 2007 10:26 AM
JohnLeeHacker RIP, old pimp!
13th December 2007 12:05 PM
voodoopug fuck Ike.
13th December 2007 01:22 PM
polytoxic Funny how a movie made 20+ years ago that most people haven't seen settles a man's life in everyone's minds. He was a genius musician, he was a father of rock'n'roll, and before he lost it and everything went to hell he and Tina made amazing, sympathetic music together. To wit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dx6MZFS_m8

RIP Ike.

"I've got three three types of cocaine: there's the coke I give the band, the coke I give Jimmy, and the coke for me and you"
-Peter Grant to Mick Jagger at a Led Zeppelin show in the 70s, taken from an interview in the DVD The Atlantic Records Story: The House That Ahmet Built

[Edited by polytoxic]
13th December 2007 01:58 PM
steel driving hammer Anyone know if he went to Hell or Heaven?

Thanks.
13th December 2007 02:06 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
steel driving hammer wrote:
Anyone know if he went to Hell or Heaven?

Thanks.

I dunno. I'm not on his jury.
13th December 2007 02:48 PM
Joey
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
fuck Ike.

Ouch !!!!!

Page: 1 2

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)