ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"I can't write if something has no mystery for me. The Stones didn't"
"The Stones are first rate. I personally prefer them on record"
Truman Capote 1924 - 1984
© 1973 Annie Leibovitz from "Sunday with Mister C."
An audio-documentary by Andy Warhol, starring Truman Capote and featuring Mick Jagger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keith Moon named greatest rock 'n roll rogue Return to archive
01-02-04 10:40 AM
Lazy Bones Wednesday, December 31, 2003

Keith Moon named greatest rock 'n roll rogue

LONDON (AP) -- He wasn't called Moon the Loon for nothing.

The late Who drummer Keith Moon, famed for trashing drum kits, cars and hotel rooms, topped a list of the "100 most insane moments in rock" released this week by British music magazine Q.

Moon, who died from an overdose of prescription drugs in 1978, was singled out for a life of excess that included countless drug-fuelled brawls, a food fight with police in Flint, Mich., and an impromptu fireworks display on a U.S. television show.

The quirky list, chosen by magazine staff, ranges from famously volatile stars such as Marilyn Manson, Courtney Love and Eminem to Bob Dylan, who was included due to an alleged fondness for British motorway service stations; country legend George Jones, who once drove a lawnmower down a freeway; and Elton John, who spent almost $692,000 Cdn on flowers in less than two years.

The Top 10:

1. Keith Moon

2. Prince -- proselytizes door-to-door for Jehovah's Witnesses

3. Marilyn Manson -- covers fan in meat

4. Michael Jackson -- puts curse on Steven Spielberg

5. Elvis Presley -- flies 1415 kilometres for peanut butter and bacon sandwiches

6. Mayhem -- Norwegian band's bassist kills guitarist

7. Courtney Love -- lies down semi-naked in London street

8. Marion (Suge) Knight -- career of oft-jailed rap impresario

9. Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown -- troubled marriage

10. Freddie Mercury -- Queen frontman's backstage antics
01-02-04 10:51 AM
glencar I think we had this thread the other day.
01-02-04 10:51 AM
glencar And shouldn't Mariah Carey be on the list? She went nuts big time.
01-02-04 10:56 AM
LadyJane A list of R n R rogues that doesn't include the name Keith Richards is a total piece of garbage!!

IMHO, of course!!

LJ.
01-02-04 10:59 AM
glencar I think this is more a list of nuts, LJ. Prince has never been known as a party animal. Apparently being a JW makes one a nut. Go figure.
01-02-04 11:03 AM
LadyJane See...I shouldn't post when I'm in a hurry. Although, the "Keith whacking the guy in the head with his guitar" incident"..should rate.

LJ.
01-02-04 11:03 AM
glencar Why the hurry?
01-02-04 11:05 AM
LadyJane Well..if you must know...I have a an appointment at the Hair Salon...bye..bye...time to be pampered.

LJ.
01-02-04 11:10 AM
glencar LOL Have fun.
01-02-04 11:11 AM
SHINE A LIGHT while LJ is getting pampered ( i go for my hair thing on wed. so it's easy to relate) i'll tell a funny thing i read in the sandford book "satisfaction" about keith moon!!!!

keith moon RAN OVER HIS DRIVER AND KILLED HIM....peter rudge had to identify the body. after that, rudge was ready for the stones!!!!!
01-02-04 11:57 PM
corgi37 And Keith Moon buying his local pub so he can get free drinks and make up his own rules. Keith Moon having live goldfish in one of his floor toms. Keith Moon using one of his floor toms as a bar. keith Moon throwing a bottle of brandy at the wall of his weird house, the bottle didnt break, but became wedged half in/half out the wall. Keith framed it. Keith Moon inventing the name Led Zeppelin. Keith Moon taught Ringo's kid to play drums. Its all good.
01-03-04 12:09 AM
sirmoonie Keith Moon was BY FAR the greatest rock and roll drummer that ever lived.
01-03-04 10:01 AM
mac_daddy when I was a kid (5th or 6th grade) I remember reading a fantastic book about Keith Moon. I believe it was called "Full Moon." It was light blue, and it had alot of nice pics, as well as some good info...

I wish I could put my finger on kit now, but that was many moons ago (heheh)...

the other rock book that I remember enjoying at that time was Sugarman's "No One Here Gets Out Alive" - another rightous read...
01-03-04 10:11 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
when I was a kid (5th or 6th grade) I remember reading a fantastic book about Keith Moon. I believe it was called "Full Moon." It was light blue, and it had alot of nice pics, as well as some good info...

"Full Moon: The Amazing Rock and Roll Life of the Late Keith Moon" - released 1st September, 1981, both hardcover and paperback editions are now out of print.
01-03-04 10:27 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

"Full Moon: The Amazing Rock and Roll Life of the Late Keith Moon" - released 1st September, 1981, both hardcover and paperback editions are now out of print.

that would be the one, and the time period...

well I will certainly look for my copy now - it is the paperback (nice size and page thickness/quality, as I remember).
01-03-04 05:49 PM
Joey

Keith Moon is Joey's idol .

Why ?!?!?!

Because Keith taught the entire world that it doesn't cost ANYTHING to love .

Joeykins !
01-03-04 08:35 PM
gypsy Keith Moon is the only one who deserves to be on that list.
01-03-04 08:41 PM
glencar I hesitate to ask but what's that about Freddy Mercury's backstage antics?
01-03-04 08:45 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
glencar wrote:
I hesitate to ask but what's that about Freddy Mercury's backstage antics?

you don't know..?

Studio 54-esque would be one way to describe it. look at the band's name for heaven's sake. they really were a concept band from head to toe, and everywhere in-between. Elton wishes he came out as fabulously...
01-03-04 08:52 PM
glencar The rest of the band was straight, I thought. I had no idea FM was gay but then in 1981 I read a hysterical letter to Creem by a young female fan who said all her friends made fun of her for likng FM.
01-04-04 05:45 PM
Joey " Keith Moon is the only one who deserves to be on that list. "

Come to Joey .

Jackycake !