ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"I can't write if something has no mystery for me. The Stones didn't"
"The Stones are first rate. I personally prefer them on record"
Truman Capote 1924 - 1984
© 1973 Annie Leibovitz from "Sunday with Mister C."
An audio-documentary by Andy Warhol, starring Truman Capote and featuring Mick Jagger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: European tour 1976 Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-31-03 12:00 PM
marko What u make of it?Been listening only 76 shows in past 8days
now,and i think it was actually very good tour,very guitar
driven shows.Even guys were sometimes REALLY out of it.
Also prestons keyboards adds more groove.Midnight rambler
was simply a killer tune from 1972-1976.Only thing what i
don´t like is the end of street fighting man.
01-02-04 08:24 PM
CousinCocaine
This 76 tour . .

I had a "connection" and thanx to him a little job on a part of that tour.
It's funny - I watched them play (and more. .) on quite a few dates - and I still think it was a great tour and they sounded really good!
Unfortunately it's not comin over on all those boots.
But live they were really rockin most of the time.
Ron had his big time center-front as Keith was way too stoned (but still playin good)!
CC
01-02-04 09:10 PM
Maxlugar Everything I've heard and seen of it rocks like a mo-fo.

Ronnie was a God then.

01-02-04 09:24 PM
mac_daddy I agree - the 76 tour rips...

I know there were some infamous low-points, but in much of the stuff I have heard, from Love You Live, to SM's Down in the Court boots, King of Drugs, Paris aux..., the music is KING!

Ronnie rips, the sound is funky and raw, without crossing over to disco or punk. The setlist is great, the shows are long, but a bit more condensed than the 75 US shows (kinda like the way the European Licks shows compared to the ones here in the States)...

I enjoy hearing the Black and Blue tracks live, and the Fingerprint File/Hot Stuff takes are more polished (when compared to 75)...

If I never hear Fool to Cry again, it might be too soon (although there is a great outtake of the tune on Mickboy's Rags 2 Excess), but other than that - the setlist smokes!

I just wish there were more HIGH QUALITY sources of this tour, because most of them are average (at best), and it is a cryin' shame...
01-02-04 09:44 PM
exilestones@netscape There is some great material from 76. What Street Fighting Man is so good there?
01-02-04 11:34 PM
Phog I've always had a soft spot for '76 and '75. The guitars were pretty gritty back in those days, and you can't not like that. My only gripe: Billy Preston's two songs. It's not that the songs aren't any good, but I wouldn't want to hear them during a Stones show. There's a decent boot from Frankfurt, but it's incomplete. Maybe the whole show is out there somewhere.
01-03-04 02:39 AM
marko Hmm more info for u guys about 76 tour.
Fingerprint file was only played in 75 tour,and shows were
actually a LOT shorter than US 1975,only Knebworth was over
2hours,others were,about 90-100mins,or even shorter.
Both Frankfurt shows are available as an complete show.
But in vERY average audience quality,like most of the 76 tour.
Fool to cry was brilliant on 76 tour,the wah wah solo was just simply perfect,thank you ronnnie.
Only couple sbd´s exists,and 2 are only complete shows.
29.4.76 Frankfurt,about 45mins
22.5 london,about 90mins in sbd quality
6.6. paris,only complete and EX quality
7.6 paris,MONO sbd
9.6 Lyon,killer show,,,,,,encore is from audience

then i have on video,soon on dvd,couple documents about the
tour,i have 2 versions of Knebworth,both Pro shots,but few
songs are changed,so i assume,complete one must be somewhere?
01-03-04 06:01 AM
Jumping Jack 76 was great, but the setlits were better in 75 and the performances were not so out of control as often. The wheels were getting loose and wobbly in 75, and started coming off in 76. They found the redline and went past it several times in 76 and the result wasn't pretty.
01-03-04 09:40 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
I know there were some infamous low-points, but in much of the stuff I have heard, from Love You Live, to SM's Down in the Court boots, King of Drugs, Paris aux..., the music is KING!

Isn't KofD Empress Valley's Hartford, 10-Nov-81?
01-03-04 09:45 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

Isn't KofD Empress Valley's Hartford, 10-Nov-81?

once again - you are correct...

but it seems like I have a ton of differently labelled Earl's Court shows (none of which sound that great)...

the Paris ones are my favorites, but they dont sound that good, either...
01-03-04 10:28 AM
marko Hmm,about the earls court shows,i know that theres 2! SBD
recordings from london-76,and,both are incomplete ones.
5.22 and 5.25.76,the later is only Good SBD,and about 40mins.None of the 76 recordings,even the best ones,doesn´t
match the quality of 75 tour.
01-03-04 10:36 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
marko wrote:
Hmm,about the earls court shows,i know that theres 2! SBD
recordings from london-76,and,both are incomplete ones.
5.22 and 5.25.76,the later is only Good SBD,and about 40mins.None of the 76 recordings,even the best ones,doesn´t
match the quality of 75 tour.

yeah, and as I said, it is really too bad, because some of those shows are great...

I will go through my 76 sources today...

the mocambo shows get grouped in with this tour, and while they are really entities unto themselves, I am including them, too... where the hell are those tapes? everything I have heard from those shows performance-wise is top-notch, but some of the recordings sound like they came out of somebody's ass! Someday I would really love to hear those complete sets, in high quality.
01-03-04 11:32 AM
marko Indeed,where are those mocambo tapes,they must be somewhere?
right?
Since only 40mins is available,and its actually from both
shows,so 2 complete ones must be out there....
Hey Mac,about 75 tour,i´m getting some upgraded ones,like
La 7.10.75,about an hour,and 12th of july as well.complete
show.
01-03-04 11:39 AM
cwatts0462 It would be great if the complete knebworth video would surface as a 2dvd deluxe package
01-03-04 11:40 AM
marko If i remember correctly,i can copy Knebworth about 90mins.
But,still not complete.
01-03-04 11:43 AM
mac_daddy nice, marko!

I am just getting out from under the holidays, the european trees, and outstanding trades, etc...

then I will be ready to start doing some more things...

recent stones acquisitions include:
the ultimate europe 73
satisfaction guaranteed (az 81 - but not the Ridel Like the Wind show)
a new source of the philly spectrum show (licks)
rock n roll stew (complete sydney 73)
excellent low gen 69 complete, from the garden
more versions of the philly and texas 72 shows than I can shake a stick at (at some point I will cull the best together and compile them)
bright lights big city
all meat music
and a bunch of others I cannot remember now...

back on -topic...

I would love to try and get the best sounding stuff from europe 76 together - the paris and london stuff I have is spotty and incomplete, and like I said, the quality can be marginal...

someone HAS to be haording some source tapes... where are they? will they ever surface? are there even rumors about what exists..?
01-03-04 12:45 PM
beer
quote:
marko wrote:

Fool to cry was brilliant on 76 tour,the wah wah solo was just simply perfect,thank you ronnnie.

Keith played the wah wah solo on Fool To Cry.
01-03-04 01:13 PM
marko Oh yes he did,,,,,,but anyways,Ronnie did play,which sounded
like wah wah,,,,,,you must listen carefully!
I think you could call that wah wah weaving.
01-03-04 03:13 PM
Nasty Habits Paris Aux Abbatiors is a great show. That version of Fool to Cry is the BEST and one of the things that actually got me to believe that that song was pretty brilliant instead of a total piece of shit. Love the Paris Aux Abbatior video and a lot of the '76 tour stuff -- I think the guitars sound very good and I like the Black and Blue tracks a lot live. Cannot take Billy Preston's songs, or his keyboard sound, though. I find his synth REALLY annoying on both '75 and '76 and think that it royally gunks up, like, Gimmie Shelter and Brown Sugar. I like his backup vocals on Get Off My Cloud, but not on You Got to Move.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
01-03-04 04:35 PM
beer
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Paris Aux Abbatiors is a great show. That version of Fool to Cry is the BEST and one of the things that actually got me to believe that that song was pretty brilliant instead of a total piece of shit.

Totally agree. I never had any interest in that song until I saw the Paris '76 Aux Abbatoirs video. Good stuff.

I also remember reading somewhere that Keith passed out in the middle of Fool To Cry sometime during the '76 tour.
01-03-04 04:48 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
beer wrote:

I also remember reading somewhere that Keith passed out in the middle of Fool To Cry sometime during the '76 tour.

I remember reading that in the show's review @ the Love You Live site...

It is the solo on the alternate Fool to Cry that is one one of the Rags discs that sold me on the song, too...

the official album version I could do without...

I will have to dig up Paris aux Abbatoirs right now...

(what does aux abbatoirs mean..?)

01-03-04 05:17 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
(what does aux abbatoirs mean..?)

Les Abattoirs was the venue in Paris they played 4-7 June 1976.
01-03-04 06:16 PM
glencar Abbatoirs is a meat rendering facility, I think.
01-03-04 10:29 PM
beer
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

I will have to dig up Paris aux Abbatoirs right now...

i watched it earlier today just because of this thread. Keith looks doped out of his mind playin that wah solo with a smoke hanging out of his mouth!
Hand of Fate is really fuckin good too.
My video starts out with an interview with Mick, Ronnie and Charlie drinking beer and talkin about the new album, "Love You Live", it's hilarious.
01-03-04 10:36 PM
mac_daddy dont have any videos...

atm I can find...

down and out in paris
Les Abbatois (sp)
5/22/76 - no title
order in the court

and how does it feel? (what is that? I have it grouped with 76 but i could have put it there by mistake...)

i remember liking down and out the best, so I am going to put it on now...
01-04-04 12:46 AM
mac_daddy I remember why I liked down and Out - it is smokin'!!!!!!

01-04-04 02:36 AM
marko Haha,i started my morning with Paris 4th of june show.Kicks
ass,i think better than june 6th.Ronnie smokes!
01-04-04 03:53 AM
mac_daddy dont know the date of down and out...

was gonna give 6/6 a listen next.
01-04-04 04:30 AM
marko U mean down&out in the court,i think its from London,may
22nd.
01-04-04 04:38 AM
mac_daddy Down and Out in Paris
Page: 1 2