ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"I can't write if something has no mystery for me. The Stones didn't"
"The Stones are first rate. I personally prefer them on record"
Truman Capote 1924 - 1984
© 1973 Annie Leibovitz from "Sunday with Mister C."
An audio-documentary by Andy Warhol, starring Truman Capote and featuring Mick Jagger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Did Bowie eclipse the Stones? Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-30-03 04:25 PM
morocco Many feel that the Stones began to wane in 1972, after their last great masterpiece, Exile On Main Street.

Coincidentally, this was the year that David Bowie released The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, the album that brought Bowie to the head of the rock kingdom, where he remains to this day.

Do you think that Mick Jagger and Co. were dismayed by Bowie's tremendous beauty, writing, and singing?

Bowie evidentally could write riffs as well as Keith, sing better than Jagger, and looked better than both of them.

From many reports, Jagger was desperately afraid that Bowie was stealing Bianca away from him.

Do you think that once Bowie appeared, the Stones were henceforth standing in his shadow?
12-30-03 04:27 PM
SHINE A LIGHT no!!
12-30-03 04:34 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
no!!

Agreed.
12-30-03 04:36 PM
SHINE A LIGHT happy new year, kr210!!!!?????
12-30-03 04:38 PM
KeithRichards210
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
happy new year, kr210!!!!?????

Back atcha, SAL!
12-30-03 04:46 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
morocco wrote:
Do you think that Mick Jagger and Co. were dismayed by Bowie's tremendous beauty, writing, and singing?

Bowie evidentally could write riffs as well as Keith, sing better than Jagger, and looked better than both of them.

From many reports, Jagger was desperately afraid that Bowie was stealing Bianca away from him.

Do you think that once Bowie appeared, the Stones were henceforth standing in his shadow?

You NEED to start drinking. Or stop. One of the two, just don't keep thinking like you do now. Cuz that blast of inane auto-rhetorical questions is jess all fucked up like a muh!
[Edited by sirmoonie]
12-30-03 04:50 PM
KeithRichards210 I don't know how there could be any relevance here at all myself. Bowie and the Stones played an entirely different style of music. And as far as Bowie writing riffs as well as Keef? Don't make me laugh. Ooooops, too late!
12-30-03 04:57 PM
morocco
quote:
KeithRichards210 wrote:
I don't know how there could be any relevance here at all myself. Bowie and the Stones played an entirely different style of music. And as far as Bowie writing riffs as well as Keef? Don't make me laugh. Ooooops, too late!

I feel that in the early seventies, Bowie and the Stones both played straight up rock and roll with rhythm and blues influences.

Bowie wrote some great guitar riffs such as Ziggy Stardust, Rebel Rebel, Panic In Detroit, Jean Genie, Diamond Dogs, Queen Bitch, and Width of a Circle.

12-30-03 04:59 PM
sirmoonie [shudder]

I just recalled that photo of Mick and Bowie cuddling up on the couch. Thanks a friggin' lot Morrocie!

[shudder]

Not that there is anything howe with that.

12-30-03 05:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot Don't get me wrong...I like Bowie. In fact, he's one of my faves. Well, most of his work anyway. I'm not crazy about the "Glass Spider" Never Let Me Down/Black Tie White Noise era. I wasn't enthralled with Hours/Heathen either. IMO, David Bowie has released some extreme high end albums. Ziggy is indeed a great album.

But it is not Exiles On Main St. In fact, it's not even Some Girls. Ziggy is right around Tatoo You quality. The Stones have put out 8-10 albums better than Ziggy. The Beatles entire recorded output is better than anything Bowie has ever done.

As an individual artist, Bowie ranks pretty high. After Dylan, Cash, and Neil somewhere. But as a musical force, there is only one other band that can claim anything equal to, or better than the Stones....and that is the Beatles.

I don't really know what you are on about here Mr Morocco. Bowie and the Stones have been on the best of terms for decades. They both understand that each is a different type of animal. There is no competition, no reason to even compare them. It's apples and oranges.

A better example for you to have used would have been a compare/contrast of Bowie and Dylan. Both are individual artists who continue to reinvent themselves, and explore new areas in music. But even so, Bowie would still come up short. Dylan has the mother of all trump cards..."Desolation Row". Bowie has never come close to writing a song that good, or making an album as good as "Highway 61 Revisited", or "Blonde On Blonde", or even "Blood On The Tracks".

David Bowie has an incredible back catalogue, and he is certainly on my top 10 all-time list....but he's definately in the bottom half of that list.
12-30-03 05:09 PM
sirmoonie You tell him SS! Besides everyone knows the Stones wrote Angie about David Bowie's girlfriend (the one that Brian beat up in Morrocco coincidently)!

[PS, SS I was listening to the Dead People compilation for the first time last night (been busy!). Thanks a lot man, its fantastic. Fire it up again tonight, with some primo hootch. YES!]

"Chisel me some green, Ronnie!"
12-30-03 05:22 PM
morocco
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I don't really know what you are on about here Mr Morocco. Bowie and the Stones have been on the best of terms for decades. They both understand that each is a different type of animal. There is no competition, no reason to even compare them. It's apples and oranges.

I feel that although Bowie and the Stones were close friends, they were also competitive, and the comparisons are easy and obvious. Even Jagger said, "Don't wear a new pair of shoes in front of Bowie" referring to the time that Bowie stole the artist Guy Paeelhart for the cover of Diamond Dogs.
12-30-03 05:25 PM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah bro, that is a good one. Not a stinker on it.

How about the part where Sinatra sings "Witchcraft", immediately followed by Sid's deranged "My Way"! I still laugh at that when I hear it.

Glad you dig it.

Those compilations are great for the walkman, or in the car, or when you don't know what you are in the mood for. Like radio, except way better.

You need to check out the Robert Randolph & The Family Band. The album is called "Unclassified". Yo yo yo, you better check it fo you wreck it Bleed!

Word up Homie.
12-30-03 06:44 PM
SHINE A LIGHT regarding "angie".....it was written for keith's daughter dandelion angela richards.
the chick brian beat up was anita pallenberg.
12-30-03 06:55 PM
sirmoonie
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:

the chick brian beat up was anita pallenberg.

No friggin' wonder Keith killed Brian. I'da done smoked the fucker too.
12-30-03 08:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot Bowie is an individual artist. The Rolling Stones are a band. 2 different things.

You seem to want to compare image and non-music related items. I could care less about stuff like that. I am mostly interested in the music. For a very very brief period in the Stones and Bowie's career, they were producing the same style of riff driven, blues based rock and roll. In that very very brief period, IMO, The Stones made better albums, and wrote better songs. In that very very brief period, IMO, David Bowie was Stones Lite in Glam gear and platform boots. Mostly flash with a moderate amount of substance.

The Stones, for the most part, didn't really go overboard on the flash. Mick wore a bit of make up and some spandex jumpers...that was about it. The Stones at that time made some of the best guitar rock ever made at any time.

If you had put Bowie and the Stones on the same bill...well, let's just say that Ziggy and the Spiders would have come up well short. The Stones were a highly tuned rock and roll machine...and as good as Ziggy & The Spiders may have been, they were nowhere in the same ballpark. In fact, in that timeframe that you are speaking of, I can think of at least three other British acts that were making better guitar rock than Bowie was.

Like I said before, I like Bowie, and I like the Ziggy era Bowie. He was really good. But he wasn't in the same league as the Stones...or the Who...or even Led Zepplin. Where I think that Bowie was the best by far, was in the Art/Prog Rock genre. That was where Bowie really stood out from the crowd. Young Americans, Station To Station, the Eno albums, even Scary Monsters....that was some mindbending shit right there. The only other band that I can think of the was even on the same planet as Bowie would have been Roxy Music. But even they were far in the shadows.

Still, Bowie was never in the same league as the Rolling Stones. And they were always a better live act than Bowie. Any comparison that you try, Bowie will always come up on the short end of the stick.

Especially here at this board.

Nice try though.
12-30-03 10:14 PM
full moon Bowie is king of all kings.. Period.....Almost 60 and still putting out great albums.....
12-30-03 10:26 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
full moon wrote:
Bowie is king of all kings.. Period.....Almost 60 and still putting out great albums.....

I think Bob Dylan's got him beat there. Call it preference, but I'll take Love And Theft over Heathen any day.

Hell, I'll take Love And Theft over Blood On The Tracks.

-tSYX --- I'm forty miles from the mill...
12-30-03 11:03 PM
StrangeStrayCat >>Mars, the album that brought Bowie to the head of the rock kingdom, where he remains to this day.<<

That's an interesting statement. I'm a big Bowie fan but I think it's a stretch to say he's currently at the head of the rock kingdom!

>>Do you think that Mick Jagger and Co. were dismayed by Bowie's tremendous beauty, writing, and singing?<<

There's no indication of that.

>>Bowie evidentally could write riffs as well as Keith, sing better than Jagger, and looked better than both of them.<<

Bowie hires and works with great musicians, some of whom can write great riffs. He mainly sticks to writing lyrics. In fact, when he recorded the 3 albums with Eno in the 70's Eno talked about how he'd labor hours and hours on the music, then David would stroll in and put down some vocal tracks. Eno created so much music during that period he had plenty left over for his own albums

>>From many reports, Jagger was desperately afraid that Bowie was stealing Bianca away from him.<<

Where have you read these reports, I've never come across any.

>>Do you think that once Bowie appeared, the Stones were henceforth standing in his shadow?<<

That thought never occurred to me, but I'd have to say no.
12-30-03 11:40 PM
LadyJane Did Bowie eclipse the Stones??

Of course not!!

Instead of comparing...isn't it more appropriate to acknowledge that each Artist(s) has immense talent and has/have contributed immensely that to what we fondly refer to as Rock N Roll!!??

LJ.
12-30-03 11:43 PM
glencar LJ, why bother?
12-30-03 11:47 PM
parmeda
quote:
morocco wrote:
Many feel that the Stones began to wane in 1972, after their last great masterpiece, Exile On Main Street.

Coincidentally, this was the year that David Bowie released The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars, the album that brought Bowie to the head of the rock kingdom, where he remains to this day.

***************BLANK FRICKEN STARE***************

...maybe I need to re-read this thread again.
I might have missed something.
12-31-03 01:19 AM
sirmoonie Parmeda, please check PMs.
12-31-03 01:34 AM
kahoosier no doubt in my mind the Stones were always on another level than Bowie.

However , this is the first that I have read anywhere that david doesn't write the music, just the lyrics, and I do not believe that. I have heard too many demos of bowie's songs in early versions. I do believe that what we hear on the album is highly influenced in its final arrangement by the hired hands that work with david. Stones music is the end result ofthe Stones much more so than david's releases.

12-31-03 05:05 AM
luridchief The Stones are great. Bowie is great.

Now . . . could The Hulk beat Thor in an arm wrasslin' match?
12-31-03 05:11 AM
Diedre Bowie sang back-up on "It's Only Rock & Roll." He hung out with Mick and Ron Wood, and that song was recorded at Ron's house, before Ron even joined the band. Keith wasn't even on the initial track. So, there was collaboration, not competition. Also, Bowie covered "Let's Spend the Night Together" on "Pin Ups." He supposedly was inspired to take the stage name "Bowie" from Mick's last name, "Jagger" (they're both types of knives). Mick and David worked together on "Dancing in the Streets." The two had a mutual admiration society (the other rumors being neither here nor there to me; we're talking music here), but since the Stones came along first, I'd say David came second. I like a lot of Bowie's stuff, but he does totally different things than the Stones do. It's like comparing apples and oranges, anyways. They're rock, Bowie is more pop.

"Angie" is probably not about Angela Bowie, but it's probably not about Keith's daughter. She wasn't named that when she was born in 1972, when the song was written. Maybe the name she adopted later was influenced by the song, but it's always been a mystery what the song is about. The fact that the Stones have several different versions of what it's about (and it's changed over the years) leads one to believe it's either about nothing, or about something they don't want anyone to know about.
12-31-03 05:11 AM
FotiniD
quote:
luridchief wrote:
The Stones are great. Bowie is great.

Right on lurid! No point in comparing and contrasting. And Morocco, Keith IS prettier than Bowie

Sorry, I can't comment seriously on this thread.
(But the comment about Keith being prettier is a damn serious comment )
12-31-03 05:14 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Diedre wrote:
"Angie" is probably not about Angela Bowie, but it's probably not about Keith's daughter.

In Bockris' biography of Keith, there's a statement by someone I can't remember (my memory fails me and the book is back home, while I'm still at the office, sorry) that Angie is more or less all about Anita and a way of Keith saying how bad he needed her. Maybe. Who knows. Lines like "they can't say we never tried". One of the great mysteries of the Stones universe
12-31-03 05:23 AM
Navin
"People have a way of telling you what they think you want to hear-anytime I don't know something and I ask somebody, I usually know less about it after I ask than before. You got to know or you don't know..."
- Bob Dylan
12-31-03 05:55 AM
Jumping Jack Who wants attention more, JB or morocco? Are they related?
Page: 1 2