ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"I can't write if something has no mystery for me. The Stones didn't"
"The Stones are first rate. I personally prefer them on record"
Truman Capote 1924 - 1984
© 1973 Annie Leibovitz from "Sunday with Mister C."
An audio-documentary by Andy Warhol, starring Truman Capote and featuring Mick Jagger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rediscovering Dirty Work Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
12-28-03 02:30 AM
beer well, what are widely considered to be the stones worst albums? satanic majesties, emotional rescue, steel wheels and dirty work. not that i necessarily agree with that, but it seems to be that way. out of those four albums, i can find some redeeming qualities in each. except dirty work. dirty work is a turd of an album.
12-28-03 10:09 AM
Zack Robert Cristgau gave it an A? That's fucked up. I think those that say they like DW do so just to get a rise out of us retards.

Worst album in the catalog by a country mile. It's all anger, spite, and bile. Is that what we love about the Stones? Not me, brothers and sisters.
12-28-03 10:37 AM
exilestones@netscape Dirty Work is great. Give it a chance. I didn't like it at first but think it's a great album now.
12-28-03 07:29 PM
gotdablouse I remember that when it came out (yes red plastic man!) it was heralded as the return of the Stones to rock'n'roll and there was quite a teaser with the 100 Club concert for Ian Stewart in February (or March of 1986).

It did kick some mean ass, but for some reason it ran out of speed pretty quick, especially after Nick Kent spilled the beand about it's er...troubled creation, telling us all about the "Biff Hitler" trio made up of Ron, Keith and...Steve Jordan possibly.

I wonder how much of it is an "after the fact legend" though caused by Mick's refusal to tour after the release, because one of my cousins happened to spend quite a bit of time around them each night when they had dinner at the "Val d'Isere" restaurant across from the the Warwick Hotel just off the Champs-Elysees and I remember him saying that they generally had dinner the five of them together and he didn't notice any particular "hatred" between Mick and Keith...

The music isn't very good in light of their better production. A lot of Keith's tunes from these sessions like Deep Love, Crushed Pearl, etc... are really more basic than one could expect from a musician like him...

Nearly 20 years down the road it also reeks of crappy 80s production, very much like Mick's Primitive Cool that had much better songs though (except maybe Let's Work!)
[Edited by gotdablouse]
12-28-03 10:59 PM
BILL PERKS I DON'T LIKE IT TO GET A RISE OUT OF ANYONE.I LOVE IT BECAUSE IT REPRESENTS THE BAND AS IT WAS AT THE TIME. IF YOU WERENT AROUND AT THE TIME I CAN UNDERSTAND NOT APPRECIATING IT.IT WAS KEITH'S BEST EFFORT TO PUT A RECORD OUT WHEN MICK HAD TURNED HIS BACK ON THEM.SONGS WERE CREATED OUT OF THE BAND JAMMING ENDLESSLY,A METHOD THEY HAVE NOT DONE SINCE.MICK CREATES HIS SONGS NOW ON DEMOS AND THE BAND EMBELLISHES.DIRTY WORK ROCKS,WITH THE SNARL THAT ENCOMPASSED THE SOUND OF THE BAND 78-85.
12-29-03 10:59 AM
T&A Bill Perks:

But, the band sucked in the mid-eighties - so I don't like what the band sounded like at the time! yeah, I was there, too...and nearly 20 years later the album sounds worse than ever, IMO...
12-29-03 11:03 AM
glencar Definitely lower tier but still, it's the Stones.
12-29-03 12:26 PM
T&A sure, it's all relative. but, I just can't for the life of me understand folks who praise the album as being some sort of 80's EOMS or something. That's blasphemy....
12-29-03 04:23 PM
Joey

Dirty Work is a complete piece of shit that has sold less copies than Wing's abysmal '79 Death Rattle : " Back to the Egg " .

I have said it time and time again , at least the WHO realized that they were NOT getting along and STOPPED in 1982 before making a " Dirty Work " .

" Pete is now writing again Ronnie "

Jacky Townshend !
12-29-03 09:34 PM
LuckyWithTheLadies A newbie poster's two cents on the critizism that DW has an 80's sound. And go ahead get your flame throwers ready. I'm in my flame resistent suit.

I think everyone here would agree unanimously that Let it Bleed is one of the Stone's greatest releases. IT HAS A 60'S SOUND. Sticky Fingers has an early 70s sound. Some Girls has a late 70s sound. And no one here needs to be reminded that the seventies also get a bad rap for sounding like the seventies. What gives? Do you really expect or even want an album released in 1986 to sound like it was recorded in the 60's or any other decade? Thank God the technology has changed for the better, and the band is taking advantage of it. I am sure we've all put on Let It Bleed, or any of the older stuff, and wished that it had been recorded with today's technology. I hope that when the lads take pity on us and record some new stuff, it will unapologeticly sound like the early years of the 21st century.
12-29-03 10:13 PM
LadyJane
quote:
LuckyWithTheLadies wrote:
A newbie poster's two cents on the critizism that DW has an 80's sound. And go ahead get your flame throwers ready. I'm in my flame resistent suit.

I just wanted to say welcome aboard!!

We really aren't as cliquey (sp?) as some think!!!

And your post about DW is right on target, IMHO!!

LJ.

12-29-03 10:32 PM
full moon I like the album, but it is one of their weakest for sure.....
12-30-03 09:44 AM
Joey " but it is one of their weakest for sure..... "

12-30-03 09:53 AM
T&A Would I like to hear LIB recorded with today's technology? HELL NO! Dirty Work suffers on a number of levels, only one is the technology that it deploys.

My favorite period of the Stones is the mid-60's - Out of our Heads through BTB...I love the (lack of) technology that was used in those days. In fact, my favorite recordings by anyone are the Chess 50's recordings of Wolf, Muddy, Little Walter, Chuck Berry et al...those have the greatest sound imaginable. Nobody makes records sound as good anymore....
12-30-03 09:54 AM
Joey " HELL NO! Dirty Work suffers on a number of levels, only one is the technology that it deploys. "

12-30-03 09:59 AM
glencar Still, DW outranks any Who produit since Who's Next.
12-30-03 11:16 AM
Joey " Still, DW outranks any Who produit since Who's Next. "

You make Joey very sad .
12-30-03 01:22 PM
LuckyWithTheLadies But I think that the point I was trying to make is, it is unfair to critize a piece of music for sounding like the era it was written in, even if that era did not produce a lot of great music or even any great music. Beethoven's symphonies are non the worse for sounding like they were written in the 1800s or Bach's music for sounding like the 1700s. Let It Bleed was recorded before I was born so I am not a good judge of this, but to me the recording sounds like - and this is not a critizism - slickly produced 60s pop. In my opinion the only studio album that doesn't sound slickly produced and recorded is Exile on Main Street. And I think that even it, as close to perfect as it is, would sound better with a better mix and a higher quality recording. But I suppose that is like wanting to change the color mix of the Sistine Chapel. Not that I think that the Stones are on the same artisitic level as Michelangelo - or Beethoven or Bach for that matter. The comparison smacks of plasphemy.
12-30-03 01:26 PM
Joey " But I think that the point I was trying to make is, it is unfair to critize a piece of music for sounding like the era it was written in, even if that era did not produce a lot of great music or even any great music. Beethoven's symphonies are non the worse for sounding like they were written in the 1800s or Bach's music for sounding like the 1700s ........................"

You make Joey very confused ! Why ?!?! WHY ?!?!

Jacko !
12-30-03 02:11 PM
glencar Why teh confusion. What our Luckywiththeladies friend is saying is elementary, my dear Joey. Music that sounds dated isn't necessarily bad. Except for "It's Hard."
12-30-03 05:21 PM
Joey " Music that sounds dated isn't necessarily bad. Except for "It's Hard." "

You make Joey melencholy
12-30-03 07:43 PM
beer
quote:
LuckyWithTheLadies wrote:
Let It Bleed was recorded before I was born so I am not a good judge of this, but to me the recording sounds like - and this is not a critizism - slickly produced 60s pop.

I'm shocked and appalled. Have you ever listened to Midnight Rambler? Jimmy Miller is rolling in his grave.

Are you sure you don't mean "Let It Be"?
12-30-03 09:56 PM
JaggaRichards I still wonder what would have happened with the Stones if they ended up touring at the time to promote DW.
12-30-03 11:39 PM
glencar They'd have fuckin' killed each other.
12-31-03 06:32 AM
Navin They did not tour behind DW because Mick prefers to rot and did not want to pop
12-31-03 09:47 AM
Joey " I still wonder what would have happened with the Stones if they ended up touring at the time to promote DW. "

Mick Jagger saw what happened to THE WHO when they were NOT getting along in 1982 and was " embarrassed " by Pete and Co.'s abysmal ' 82 effort on stage . He vowed never to let it happen to the Stones .

Never !

Jacky !
12-31-03 09:48 AM
glencar And they say he doesn't care.
12-31-03 09:50 AM
Joey " And they say he doesn't care. "

Oooooooooo ! I LIKE THAT BLUE !!!!!!!!

Er , you ARE Talking about Pete aren't you ?!?!?!

Developing ..............................

Shiver .................................

Jacko !

12-31-03 09:53 AM
glencar Nah, I ain't talking about the presumed-innocent-but-he's-most-likely-a-ped Pete. I'm talking about the Master of Music Mr. Mick Philip Jagger.
12-31-03 10:05 AM
Joey " Nah, I ain't talking about the presumed-innocent-but-he's-most-likely-a-ped Pete. I'm talking about the Master of Music Mr. Mick Philip Jagger. "

Roger said , " And to think he doesn't care " about Pete Townshend in Tacoma in 1989 after Pete gouged his hand with his Whammy Bar whilst performing " Won't Get Fooled Again ! "

Word !

Jacky !

Page: 1 2 3