ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

"I can't write if something has no mystery for me. The Stones didn't"
"The Stones are first rate. I personally prefer them on record"
Truman Capote 1924 - 1984
© 1973 Annie Leibovitz from "Sunday with Mister C."
An audio-documentary by Andy Warhol, starring Truman Capote and featuring Mick Jagger

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rediscovering Dirty Work Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
12-23-03 04:16 PM
scratched We might aswell get it over with...
12-23-03 04:18 PM
glencar Really, Max Lugar should comment here. DW is one of their weakest efforts but it's still got 4 amazing tunes on it: DW, Harlem Shuffle, One Hit & Had It Witchoo.
12-23-03 04:47 PM
Child of the Moon Dirty Work... one of the ass-kickin'-est albums of the 1980's. Pure, unbridled rage from the opening beat of One Hit 'til the very end of Had It With You, and then a beautiful ballad in Sleep Tonight.

I'll make it a point to say that One Hit (To the Body) is one of the best things they did that decade, if not THE best. And the rest of the album is pretty badass, as well.
12-23-03 04:48 PM
Nasty Habits Everyone should rediscover the majesty of Had It With You by playing the 45 RPM version, which is the b-side to Harlem Shuffle. The drums destroy, the guitars are foul, the line "I love you dirty fucker" is one of the greatest opening lines to ANY rock and roll song, and the end part where everything falls apart and builds back up is perfect. Had It with You scares hell out of every garage band on the planet right now and if the Stones could harness that sound once again they would make one of their greatest records ever. The end.
12-23-03 05:05 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i love this album for a few reasons:
- it was the "birth" of the x-pensive winos
- "too rude" and "sleep tonight" are beautiful tunes.
- it's a stones' album???!!
12-23-03 05:33 PM
luridchief I like DIRTY WORK much more than STEEL WHEELS. IMHO, the latter is the ultimate Stones' snoozer album. Your milege may vary.
12-23-03 06:06 PM
sammy davis jr. Nasty- Truer words were never spoken....Had It Wit' You is a mother....By the way, isn't that old Ronnie on the rudementary sax on that song?
12-23-03 06:16 PM
glencar Nasty, is the 45 RPM version different from the album version?
12-23-03 06:23 PM
Nasty Habits It's the same recording, but as a general rule, and as an actual fact, 45 RPM tends to have more impact than 33 1/3 RPM and (obviously) Compact Disc. The percussion and bass are generally more, uh, "impactive", and they tend to be mastered "hotter" in 45 than in 33 1/3, making them louder even on the same volume level, let alone when you spin it right and let it get crazy.
12-23-03 07:39 PM
T&A oh - COME ON! DW sucks bigtime and you all know it.
12-23-03 11:12 PM
BILL PERKS I DON'T KNOW IT.
12-24-03 01:28 AM
Child of the Moon
quote:
T&A wrote:
oh - COME ON! DW sucks bigtime and you all know it.

Different stokes, mate. Chill out and have a happy Christmas, or whichever holiday you choose to celebrate.
12-24-03 01:45 AM
Diedre It's not a good musical work. But as another installment in the Glimmer Twins soap opera, it's a doozy. Especially funny in that Mick is singing Keith's lyrics about what a bastard he, Mick, is. Reading the lyrics is better than listening to most of the songs on it, though "One Hit" is a good song overall.
12-24-03 07:45 AM
Some Guy OK I'm gonna rediscover it this weekend, after I discover it. I can't recall where it is.
12-24-03 11:14 AM
Maxlugar Anyone who doesn't like Dirty Work is a retard.

There, I finally said what God was thinking.

I made 50 copies of Dirty Work and ground them up into a fine powder...

Later tonight I shall make a batch of Egg Nogg with 50% rum and gently stir that magic powder into the mix...

Tonight, I slip my entire family a Micky.

Tonight, my entire family will be under the influence of more than mere alcohol...

Tonight, Dirty Work will be in their blood.

Tonight, they will rock uncontrollably.

Tonight, even Grandma is a Dirty Fukker.

A Merrier Christmas will never be had.

12-24-03 12:31 PM
T&A We have dozens of fine Stones albums to listen to...this just ain't one of them in my apparently retarded opinion. I dig the title track, Harlem Shuffle and Sleep Tonight. The rest are dogs. Let's put it this way - if this were the Stones' debut album - it wouldn't have sold a lick and the Stones wouldn't be in the business anymore.
12-24-03 01:25 PM
Child of the Moon Maxy, you make me wanna rock like it's Christmas Eve!

It is Christmas Eve?

Oh.

Well, then... let's rock!
12-24-03 02:13 PM
Nasty Habits What I love about Dirty Work is that it makes the people who hate Dirty Work so mad at the people who like Dirty Work!

I LOVE DIRTY WORK!

Find some fucker, find some jerk, find some dumbass. . . .
12-24-03 03:29 PM
glencar Does anyone else like the inside cover of DW?
12-25-03 12:29 PM
jaymze i used to like this album a lot in the past but now when i hear it my opinion is that its not a great stones record. i still like some of the tracks like "one hit" and "harlem" as well as the title track and the keith slowie. some of the middle stuff aint great though......fight, back to zero etc. the packaging aint too hot in my opinion, its funny that keith is almost kneeing mick in the crotch on the front cover though -says a lot about the time!!!!!!!!!
12-27-03 07:00 AM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
What I love about Dirty Work is that it makes the people who hate Dirty Work so mad at the people who like Dirty Work!

So true! And I confess I like DW too. First, it's fascinating in a soap opera kind of way, the love-hate relationship played to the hilt. (See the One Hit video... Julian Temple is a very perceptive guy.) Then we have a handful of intensely crazy songs: One Hit, Had It With You, Fight, DW itself. And a pair of cool Keef-sung tunes, a treat. And course the zany '80s style cover and liner booklet... Dirty workout, indeed!
12-27-03 11:40 AM
glencar Remember the cover came in that red shrink wrap stuff?
12-27-03 11:44 AM
glencar Robert Christgau's review:

Dirty Work [Rolling Stones, 1986]
Dreaming of solo glory, Mick doesn't have much time for his band these days--just plugged into his Stones mode and spewed whatever he had to spew, adding lyrics and a few key musical ideas to tracks Ron and Keith completed before the star sullied his consciousness with them. And I say let him express himself elsewhere. For once his lyrics are impulsive and confused, two-faced by habit rather than design, the straightest reports he can offer from the top he's so lonely at, about oppressing and being oppressed rather than geopolitical contradiction. In the three that lead side two, always playing dirty is getting to him, as is his misuse of the jerks and greaseballs and fuckers and dumb-asses who clean up after him, yet for all his privilege he's another nuclear subject who's got no say over whether he rots or pops even though he'd much prefer the former. Especially together with the hard advice of "Hold Back," these are songs of conscience well-known sons of bitches can get away with. Coproducer Steve Lillywhite combines high-detail arena-rock with back-to-basics commitment and limits the melismatic affectations that have turned so much of Mick's late work in on itself. Let him have his own life and career, I don't care. What I want is the Stones as an idea that belongs to history, that's mine as much as theirs. This is it. A

12-27-03 11:47 AM
Monkey Woman Alas, I don't remember. I wasn't into Stones music at the time. I was referring to the CD cover, with the Stones sprawling on a couch, photographed by Annie Leibowitz. (Another very perceptive person!) When you look at it, Keith is taking the center of the couch (and the picture), having apparently just evicted Mick from it! Bill and Ron are simple witnesses, a little to the back, and Charlie is turning aside, out of it. A good allegory of the relationship in the band at the time!
12-27-03 11:52 AM
Monkey Woman "Melismatic" affectations? Now that's vocabulary! Don't let morocco see that! He/she (1) will be green with envy for not thinking of that one before!

(1) Probably she. Just a deduction.
12-27-03 11:55 AM
Nasty Habits Yeah, glencar --

I remember the red shrinkwrap. My copy still has it! It's one of the reasons that I've never perceived the cover of Dirty Work to be SO AWFUL -- you can't see those appalling colors of the clothes they're wearing through the red shrink.

What I want to know is if anyone has the graphic of the sticker that was on the front cover originally showing the mean old bitch on an aerobics instructor and her positively brilliant tag line . . .

12-27-03 12:09 PM
parmeda
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
What I want to know is if anyone has the graphic of the sticker that was on the front cover originally showing the mean old bitch on an aerobics instructor and her positively brilliant tag line . . .

"If it's not sore it won't hurt"

...I think?
12-27-03 06:58 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i do recall the red wrapping BUT i've just learned that jimmy page is playing on DW.......am just finishing the sandford book "satisfaction", read about jimmy in there.
12-27-03 11:58 PM
Soul Survivor Oh come on everybody. I'm sick of the Dirty Work bashing. Truth is, the stones have never released a bad studio album. Sure, some are better than others. But none of them are bad. On a scale from 1 to 5 I give Dirty Work a 3. I subtract 2 points because it lacks Mick's participation (and weather you want to admit it or not, Mick adds flavor to an already tasty product), and it sounds too dated. Alot of stones albums stand the test of time, but this one...upon listening to it...you can tell....mid 80's. But all in all it's not all that bad. Accept it for what it is, not what you want it to be
12-28-03 12:42 AM
Phog Dirty Work is a good record, but "Winning Ugly" and "Back to Zero" make me wanna puke. Besides those two songs, I'm ok with it.
Page: 1 2 3