ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Jamming backstage at Frankfurt's Festhalle, Germany October 6, 1970
By Dick Waterman

From the 40x20 Exhibition currently on tour.
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[
Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Have The Stones Laid Berry To Rest? Return to archive
01-06-03 07:09 AM
bez85 With Johnny Johnson in litigation with Mr. Berry concerning song writing credits ( egged on by Keith I think), I doubt we will ever get hear the Stones do another Chuck Berry song..it just ain't the same with no Chuck in the setlist...
01-06-03 07:22 AM
JaggaRichards The Johnnie Johnson/Chuck Berry case was settled-in favor of Chuck!
As he walked victoriously out of the courthouse, chuck said the whole lawsuit was 'instigated by Keith Richards and Bo Diddley'.
So I think its safe to say relations between Chuck and the Stones are strained.
BTW, the Stones have helped Chuck earn mucho $$$ by covering his songs.
Not to menetion HHR&R!
Chuck acts like/is a bozo!
01-06-03 01:29 PM
ExileInLA One thing to remember tho -
The case was settled in favor of Chuck not because the judge thought Johnnie was wrong in his claim. It just so happens that too much time had passed for Johnnie to make such claims that the judge had to rule in favor of Chuck.

And I don't care how strained the relations are between Keith and Chuck. Chuck is ALWAYS there when Keith is playing. The best example (and only one of dozens) is the IORR intro used over the past I don't know how many years. Chuck is ALWAYS with Keith.

Exile
01-06-03 01:37 PM
~AzQb

...uh...i dunno, Exile. I mean, Keith has always thought Chuck a real pain in the ass, though obviously he's put that little problem behind him in the past. But the question is, how many decades before you just give it up? I think after Chuck's 70th birthday gig{s} Keith was finished with what he felt was necessary to honour Chuckie's music.

Now maybe the person behind the tunes is given up on?

Only time will tell, i guess-- but there IS only so much bullshit one can take before others "give up on you", ya know?

~
01-06-03 03:07 PM
ExileInLA Pain in the ass or not, Chuck is still evident in Keith's playing. I mean, when Keith plays leads, it doesn't matter how long he has been doing it, it's always gonna be Chuck and Chuck's licks behind Keith. Keith has shaped his own style around Chuck and I think even Keith would admit that even today.

Exile
01-07-03 01:36 AM
~AzQb

Sure ExILeInLaLaLand

But...Leadlicks is one thing--supportin the cat is another. Since way before "Hail, Hail" {which you might want to view again?} Keith-- while his playing will ALwAyS be his playing-- you can't change your spots ya know-- has always thought Mr. Berry a major asshole, and for good reason.

I mean you got separation there, you know? Now, Mr. Johnson has heart-- and didn't stand up for himself in this--so K encouraged him.

Licks? Yeah. Likey? No.

~
01-07-03 02:24 AM
woodywoodpecker Its a hard one, I'm yet to see the Stones licks tour as Im in OZ Land, but Ronnie could be accused of using the berry teqnique himself- Tumbling Dice Live ect. There aint much rock n roll without K.R & C.B in my opinion. They both play it how it should be played so given that assumption I dont think Keef will stop playing C.B' riffs mixed with his own riffs. If it feels right, he'll play it!

Woodpecker
01-07-03 02:36 AM
Bluzian Well I think if Keith was so clever (in bolstering the Johnnie
Johnson case), why the fuck did Keith ever do Hail Hail in
acclaimation of Chuck Berry? Surely Keith must have realized
the potential aggravation between JJ and CB, no?

I think Keith can be a real shit disturbing antagonist. I
think Johnnie Johnson probably did help in mustering up some
really cool tunes like Sweet 16 and JBGoode, but, for him
(or was it really Keith?) to conjure up some trouble 50 years
later is a bit passe..

I also think Chuck is a bozo, even though I will always love
his music (er, Johnnie Johnsons..hehe) I think things just
oughta be left alone here. What is Keith tryign to prove?
If Keith is so hellbent on re-writing history, and awarding
Mr. Johnson some back royalties, why doesnt Keith just dip
into his own $275 US million nestegg and spread the wealth
a little bit??? Surely to God, Johnnie Johnson must have had
a whole helluvalot of "input" to increase Keith's wealth,
wouldnt you agree??

Furthermore, why doesnt Keith just produce another movie,
call it "johnnie be bad" with Johnnie Johnson as the main
focul point and let bygones be bygones? Besides, J.J. is
just too senile now to even realize his contribution to
RocknRoll. (and so is Bo, Chuck, and Richard Pennimen). Theyre
all getting sickly in the head. :-(

Cheers
Ian

PS: I can see the Stones still entertaining some CB songs!!

01-07-03 03:17 AM
~AzQb

Well Ian!

Keith had to rewire EVErYtHinG--all the amps-- for those jams, and he was fuckin exHAuSted dealing with PrimaDonnaBerry!

Those jams, and the final birthday gig itself-- took more bullet biting than maybe we remember.

And Keith, being a sTiCkLeR for credit going where its rightly due-- of CoUrSe got Johnnie thinkin'. And why not? Cat was/is an ivory ticklin GenIuS, wrote the shit, and if the thought ever occurred to him before K's prodding-- betcha a mint julep he fuckin took a nap at the thought of tanglin with ole MissBerry {lol}.

This is entirely off the subject, but ole Chuck treats his groupies like shit-- literally. That is, after he makes them drink his piss.

~oh these wacked out muthas

01-07-03 03:58 AM
~AzQb

AndWaItAmInUtE IaN!

How do you knOw Keith hasn't "dipped" for Johnnie--and dipped DeEp???

...think if you, or AnY of us knew, really knew, how many people K has dipped DeEpLy for-- hell, we'd be a bit surprised, to say the least.

Personally i know of a project that had him tied up for nigh unto five months-- financially planned {with some advice, of courseRoTfLmAo} and entirely backed by HIs wallet-- on the DoWnLoW.

I'm with him on this--only the Joshin's{Lol,you asked for it}of this world feel the need to open their mouths about stuff like this.

Not necessary and pretty fuckin sad.

~
01-07-03 05:10 AM
F505 Berry is a major asshole but his tunes are brilliant
01-07-03 05:26 AM
beer WAtch Hail Hail RnR. Keef says outright that those are Jonny's keys cuz they are paino keys, or some such shit. sorry. i'm too drunk to get it right. but He says it. And he mentiomns that Chuck punched him in the face. bla blaa blaa

just watch Ladies and Gentlemands version of BYE BYE JOHNNY, it is fucking amazing. Keef and Taylor are unstoppable. I REPEAT UNSTOPPABLE. a tight rockin roll machine. "ALL DOWN THE LINE" , BYE BYE JOHNNY"..................

anybody who doesn't have the L-n-G or MARQUEE video, get 'em quick.,,, DEAD FLOWERS indeed.... Now there's a solo......
01-07-03 02:39 PM
sasca It's a pity Keith isn't as correct about Stones' credits.
01-07-03 11:05 PM
Bluzian Sasca.. THANK YOU!!!!

01-07-03 11:25 PM
Sir Stonesalot >And Keith, being a sTiCkLeR for credit going where its rightly due--<

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa????

OK, so where's Brian's credit for Ruby Tuesday?

Where's Mick Taylor's credit for Sway?

Where's Bill's credit for JJF?

Why didn't Keith stickle for his bandmates if he is so concerned?

01-08-03 09:19 AM
Stonesprofessor In SEMI-defense of Keef,it is probably too late for ANYBODY to anything about those particualr credits you mention- ABKCO controls all that shiat now...Ive always blamed Jagger and Oldham [for planting the seeds of greed in Micks head] for that sort of thing anyway....If you also notice, on MAIN OFFENDER Keef gives credit to almost the whole Wino band on half the tracks....I think that since Keef semi-cleaned his act up, hes become a bit more generous and aware of things like that....

Visits since January 9, 2003