ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Jamming backstage at Frankfurt's Festhalle, Germany October 6, 1970
By Dick Waterman

From the 40x20 Exhibition currently on tour.
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[
Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Recording equipment (Euro Friendly Post) Return to archive
01-04-03 01:09 AM
Fiji Joe Just curious...what equipment is being used to record some of these audience recordings on the licks tour?...what kind of seat does someone need to get a decent recording?
01-04-03 05:12 AM
Jacques Very good question.
Is a minidisc recorder good for this ?
Can anybody give us tips to keep recorder trhough controls. I have an idea, but tips are welcome.
Thanks in advance.
01-04-03 01:23 PM
littleredrooster A Sony Minidisc recorder works well.
A stereo mic clipped to your hat to prevent artifacts.

In recording the shows it really matters where your seat is located. An ideal 'sound field' for these recordings seems to be seating in the center about 25 to 40 rows back from the main stage. This will place you in front of the 'repeater speakers' toward the back of the floor.
If you position is not centered, left or right channel dominance will be evident in the final product.
In some cases the recording will be oversaturated with mild distortion even if your recorder has an 'auto leveling' on the signal input. Live with it.
If you attempt to do this and have favorable concert partners around you ( you can bribe them by promising to send a copy to them ) if they can refrain from doing their 'Mitch Millering', then your efforts should be rewarded with a fine keepsake of your concert.
Don't expect GREAT.....accept GOOD!
You'll enjoy it !
Some of your concert pleasure will be compromised by the security issues and worries about whether or not your equipment is working properly. Leave it alone once started! Bring a penlight! Use 80 min discs, change after Keith's set to the second disc
It is a boot....NOT Muscle Shoals!

Roostah
01-04-03 05:21 PM
Sir Stonesalot THANK YOU LRR!!!

You are SO right. It's a boot. Not everything can sound like Voodoo Edo, or Steel Wheels Tokyo.

Try to remember that someone went to a lot of trouble to get that recording. They didn't HAVE to do it, and they didn't have to share it.

I also agree with Roostah in that your seat location is paramount. My Roseland boot got WAY overloaded because I was about 10 feet from the stack on Ron's side. I was also under an overhang. I'm sure I could have gone towards the back, and got in the middle...but I was NOT going to jeopardize my enjoyment of the show, for the sake of recording it. I am a fan first.

Honestly, the best acts to record are the ones that actually allow recording. If you bring the proper adapters, they'll even let you plug into the mixer. At the very least, you don't have to worry about getting caught. The Stones recordings that I made were by far the worst that I've done. I have some really nice recordings that I made of Robbie Fulks, Cracker, and Paul Westerberg. It was all due to location, location, location.
01-04-03 07:56 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
littleredrooster wrote:
It is a boot....NOT Muscle Shoals!

Wasn't the Muscle Shoals session(s) recorded on Sony Minidisc then?
01-04-03 10:05 PM
littleredrooster AH, Muscle Shoals!
Wild, Wild Horses!
01-04-03 11:44 PM
Angiegirl Is my local groupie in?
01-06-03 02:04 PM
Jacques Thanks for advices
01-07-03 12:54 AM
Madafaka Thanks for the info guys, but... What can I separate the tracks? What software?
01-07-03 02:22 AM
Dan I use Sonic Studios DSM mics with the PA6LC2 bass rolloff into a Sony PCM1 DAT recorder. Total cost $1340. First thing, dont make the STones your inauguaral recording. Find a club gig with a band that allows taping but try to stealth it anyway. I just got the new recorder in Oct but did not want to make the Stones the first time I use it.
(Been taping since 88 and about to give up due to deteriorating equipment and a lack of interest but scoring Wiltern tickets motivated me to start anew)
The day after the DAT showe up I did Wayne Kramer formerly of the MC5 played the Baked Potato, a jazz restaraunt down the street so I did that first to get acquinted with the equipment followed by an early/late set by Rasputina and Sigue Sigue Sputnik at the Key Club.
Even then, for the Stones at Staples (after running the metal detector gauntlet) I still wasnt used to this deck like my D8 which I can operate blindfolded. At the beginning you can hear the lady next to me ask if I was recording!
Luckily I was in the too cool to clap VIP section at a good level with the PA. Basically that was the exact section I picked off the seating chart that I decided I wanted to sit in. Still low but just above the $350s, and short beer lines so I can still tank up before hand.
Things like floor or LL in most cases was not an option for me. I dont care if its the second coming of Brian Jones, I dont spend $350 on a concert! Arenas and stadiums are different, and some are configured differently so what works in one wont work in another (Chicago 97 seats directly to the side facing the PA, such seats may not even exist in a baseball configuration). Stadiums tend to attract more yahoooooos so its pretty much hit and miss as far as sound etc is concerned.
For San Diego I scored "side view" for $90 but it was still loud enough and close to the PA, 3 rows above the stage on the aisle. Luckily the people to my right were well behaved and since it was right on the curve at the tunnel, there was no one to my left.
Luckily most Euro shows are GA which is my main theory why Euro audience recordings sound better than US ones is that the taper can just go to wherever he/she thinks it sounds best.

01-07-03 02:56 AM
blutsvente i use an sony md recorder. i put the recording level to the very low but the result is distortion. do you think it is useful to use the line in for my mics.
01-07-03 07:04 AM
Staffan
quote:
blutsvente wrote:
i use an sony md recorder. i put the recording level to the very low but the result is distortion. do you think it is useful to use the line in for my mics.

If you have a low recording level you shouldn't get distortion?!
There is a microphone line in on my MD, I always plug the mic in there, never in the other line in.

I have done a wonderful recording of a Mick Taylor club show and a terrible Neil young arena recording with my MD.
As SS and others said, the location is the most important thing. And put it somewhere safe!
I once tried to record a good Swedish band in a small club, stood right in front of the stage with the MD just below the stage, on the floor. Then a drunk spills his can of beer right on the MD!!!!!
It survived but it behaves as it was drunk sometimes, it's very slow and says Disc Error although there is no Disc error. Oh well...
01-07-03 10:20 AM
blutsvente i recorded ford field last year from 7th row center.
to check the equipment i first recorded no doubt and listened to the result. only distortion. so i put the recording level to the very low but again distortion.
before the 2003 shows start i need some more experience.
maybe it doesnt work with my condensator mics.
01-07-03 10:53 AM
juggsy I recorded Ford Field from mainfloor section F Row 22. I was just off the left corner of the B stage. I used a mini disc recorder with Audio Technica slimline cardioids run thru a bass roll-off filter. Recording turned out very nice. I've tried to spread this show far and wide but if there are some folks out there who are still looking for it, please don't pay anyone for a copy, I am up for trades and in particular looking for all the new January shows.
01-08-03 06:36 AM
BillyBoll If you use a MD to make your recording whats the best way of transferring it to your computer and then to CD?
01-08-03 08:25 AM
JumpinJackFlash Say, I seen a documentry with the stones in the Muscle Shoals studio. Is there a specific name to those recording's done there, and also what would the Let It Bleed outtakes bootleg be called.
01-08-03 12:16 PM
littleredrooster MD recorder, then dump it to your hard drive.
Use an audio card program like Soundblaster Audigy for PC
Mac has standard software to do this.
Then use the CD burner program, like Roxio CD Creator to make the CDR.
01-08-03 12:59 PM
BillyBoll Thanks for that. I'll give it a dry run on some gigs before the big ones to come.

Visits since January 9, 2003