ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Jamming backstage at Frankfurt's Festhalle, Germany October 6, 1970
By Dick Waterman

From the 40x20 Exhibition currently on tour.
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[
Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New member Return to archive Page: 1 2
12-31-02 04:44 PM
Boomhauer Welcome to zee board, Lady Jane.

BTW, I love the song "Lady Jane".
01-01-03 02:26 PM
MP Cheers and happy new year to all....as for Macca---Paul is a very gifted great guy...don't belittle him on a Stones site...FYI the Stones admire him greatly.
01-01-03 02:38 PM
~AzQb

HeyLady&MP

You guys have weathered your first storms LOL admirably and i commend you! Don't ever feel bullied into silence by anyone around here, no matter WHAT the sophisticated intimidation techniques employed by anyone! This ain't the fucking Marines, you know?

Enjoy yourselves and HappIestOfNewYears!

~
01-01-03 05:06 PM
LadyJane
quote:
MP wrote:
Cheers and happy new year to all....as for Macca---Paul is a very gifted great guy...don't belittle him on a Stones site...FYI the Stones admire him greatly.

MP, you must be kidding!!! I may be a new member, but I've been reading this board for months and I don't think there are many Macca fans here!! Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but as far as the Stones admiring him greatly, I'd like to see some evidence!

LadyJ.
01-01-03 06:49 PM
MP My SWEET Lady Jane--------the Stones and Beatles, contrary to popular belief, have always been mates....can't quote sources offhand, but its in all the books about their humble beginnings in the 60's...MP alway expresses his opinion, just ask Stones friends from other boards...MP believes in respect for freedom of speech...FREEDOM...as does Macca LOL Jolly good eve to you!
01-02-03 06:36 AM
~AzQb

MP!

... wouldn't go as far as "mates" because not one seeks another out-- but i think when they DO run into eachother socially there is perhaps a sense between them of something akin to SoldiersInAFoxHoleSyndrome-- where only the other one really KNOWS what went down.

But beyond that..nobody's ringing anyone up for tea!

~
01-02-03 09:40 PM
MP Right ~AzQb-----mates was a strong term I suppose....What the bloody hell does your name stand for anyway?
01-02-03 11:29 PM
~AzQb

~AzIpmouthQueenB...

...in restrospect i think it egotistical and apalling, but at the time, before i held my breath and fucking posted for the first time, dammit, i needed a shotof confidence!

~RoTfl
01-02-03 11:47 PM
Sir Stonesalot Are you trying to piss me off on purpose Annie? What did I ever do to you?

I wasn't a Marine. I was in the Army...Military Police.

Get your facts straight before you make any feeble attempts at backhanded taunts.

And just to smash your little theory all to hell...we have 2 newbies...MP & LJ, and I haven't "hazed" either one of them.

EGAD! I must be off my game!

MP, hang on bro, cut some more lemons, I'm on the way! Just don't let me snorkle naked in the koi pond...no matter how good of an idea it seems at the time!!!
01-02-03 11:56 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
MP wrote:
Cheers and happy new year to all....as for Macca---Paul is a very gifted great guy...don't belittle him on a Stones site...FYI the Stones admire him greatly.

Finally! Another McCartney fan!

I don't like a lot of his 'pop' stuff, 'specially those sappy solo ballads he did. Trash, all of 'em. "Silly Love Songs" makes me gag. Terrible terrible song. But when he plays some rock (and *blues*... he did "Bring It To Jerome" at the sound checks for his tour... damn good, too...), he really catches fire.

But there are some of us Beatles fans around! We're very quiet because one guy in particular has some sort of irrational fear of The Beatles and yells at anyone who even mentions their name.

The Stones & Beatles were and still are buddies - they don't seek each other out, like you said, Az, but Keith and Mick both wrote rememberances of George for Rolling Stone when he died, and they all probably sent Christmas cards to each other at least, and went to each other's concerts a lot.

In fact, the Stones got signed with Decca because George Harrison told one of the big executives who'd passed on the Beatles one night that the Stones were a good bet for a rival to the Beatles...

-tSYX --- Mothah, don't you recognize your son?
01-03-03 12:01 AM
~AzQb

Joshy, Esq.

PLease, i BeG of you, don't start.

~
01-03-03 03:40 PM
sasca
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

Finally! Another McCartney fan!

I don't like a lot of his 'pop' stuff, 'specially those sappy solo ballads he did. Trash, all of 'em. "Silly Love Songs" makes me gag. Terrible terrible song. But when he plays some rock (and *blues*... he did "Bring It To Jerome" at the sound checks for his tour... damn good, too...), he really catches fire.

But there are some of us Beatles fans around! We're very quiet because one guy in particular has some sort of irrational fear of The Beatles and yells at anyone who even mentions their name.

The Stones & Beatles were and still are buddies - they don't seek each other out, like you said, Az, but Keith and Mick both wrote rememberances of George for Rolling Stone when he died, and they all probably sent Christmas cards to each other at least, and went to each other's concerts a lot.

In fact, the Stones got signed with Decca because George Harrison told one of the big executives who'd passed on the Beatles one night that the Stones were a good bet for a rival to the Beatles...

-tSYX --- Mothah, don't you recognize your son?

I rather like 'Silly Love Songs'. A witty rejoinder to John's comment. As for being friends, I do think that various members were close at times. George and Brian certainly seem to have been - Brian used to go to George's house when he got The Fear. And Mick and John saw quite a bit of one another in the early 70's, didn't they?
01-03-03 10:26 PM
MP John used to stop by that bloody pig sty of a flat they all had in the 60's
01-03-03 10:30 PM
MP ....someone mentioned lemons.....never hold onto 'em meself....like to squeeze 'em till the juice runs down me leg....hmmmmmm suppose Page and Plant were members of "The Firm"?

Question for SirStonesAlot----Do you? Get stoned alot?

01-04-03 12:56 AM
Sir Stonesalot As often as time and money permits, MP. Certainly not as often as I'd like...which would be 24/7/365...

Why, you buyin' something besides tequila shots?

You know the best way to dring tequila? Right after a big ol' bong hit. Get your chick to salt up one nipple, and lemon her other nipple...lime works just as well for me. So it goes something like this....

BONG, burbleburbleburble, carb, WHOOSH!

Hold it....HOLD IT....

OOK, exHALE...Aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh.

Now, lick a salty nipple, lick a lemony nipple,

and TEQUILA! Perfection.

I suggest you do this sitting down.
01-04-03 01:49 AM
gypsymofo60 Savage, Add me to the list of Macca fans, like you I agree that alot of what he does reeks of sentimental ooze, but when he writes a good song, it is usually damn good. As for his worst song: Ballroom Dancing, worst album: McCartney 2, now that is crap!...But hell! If you can make good after being born in The'pooooolll, you can't be all bad eh?....How's that bass going?
01-04-03 10:40 AM
LadyJane Last night my Husband and I were watching TV and the commercial for Sir Paul's latest CD came on. Hubby asked me "Why do you hate him so much? Listen to the songs, they are classics." As the commercial continued he added "Except for Wings, they sucked!" Then came "Freedom" to which the comment was "That song is fucking awful!" I said nothing (A first in our household).

I summed it up like this: The Beatles are legends! There is no denying their talent and Paul was certainly an integral part of the Fab Four. When he plays a Beatles song today, it sounds good and makes you feel good.

I hated Wings in the '70's, but as I get um, older, I can appreciate a few of their songs. As for his current output of music, more sap! Really can't relate. It's Pop Music. If you like Pop Music, good for you.

Paul has always been the nice, pretty boy, silly NERD! He's white bread, milk toast. The adjective "cool" cannot be associated with him.

To me Keith Richards is the epitome of Cool! Just look at today's header pic. And when your favorite rocker is Keith , Sir Paul's demeanor is just nauseating! IMHO!

LadyJ.

01-04-03 11:44 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Paul has always been the nice, pretty boy, silly NERD! He's white bread, milk toast. The adjective "cool" cannot be associated with him.

To me Keith Richards is the epitome of Cool! Just look at today's header pic. And when your favorite rocker is Keith , Sir Paul's demeanor is just nauseating! IMHO!

LadyJ.

Hmm. I agree... Keith Richards is indeed the epitome of cool. But McCartney has a very different style of 'coolness', so to speak. I picked up a book in my local bookstore today with lots of photos of McCartney when he started touring again in the late 80s-early 90s, and I was reading the text of one of his press conferences - he's a joker, and a funny guy at that. He's baiting the reporters, making fun of them for silly questions, but never really putting anyone down. He's a lighthearted fun-loving kinda guy, and I respect him for that, especially coming out of the backround that he did.

As for "Silly Love Songs"... I can't stand it. Although I admit, Paul's jibes at John through the early 70s were much better than John's jibes at Paul. Paul McCartney wrote "3 Legs" on Ram, very subtly knocking John Lennon, and a few other sly stabs throughout the album, and of course John Lennon goes apeshit and records "How Do You Sleep At Night", absolutely nothing subtle about it. It's basically a "Aaaah, I hate you Paul McCartney" letter. If you see that documentary Imagine, George Harrison comes over (in the "I have larger hair than Jesus and look frighteningly similar to Eric Clapton" phase of his life) and listens to it and just says "Well... umm... Yeah... I know that one...", and he winds up playing on it - but you can see that he's kinda floored by how nasty it is.

Of course, George Harrison may have the record for best phone call ever - he calls up McCartney when he's considering leaving Apple to get his album published when he wants it to be and just yells "You'll stay on this fucking label! Hare Krishna!" and hangs up.

Yeah, Brian and George Harrison were good friends - George just shut up and let Brian freak out. George was there for the Redlands bust - the police moved in right after he left - they only wanted to bust the Stones. Total setup. George Harrison loved seeing the Stones, would always go to their concerts. Keith recalls seeing him as "Farmer George" during either Voodoo Lounge or Bridges To Babylon (can't remember) - just showing up fresh from his garden, covered in dirt and so forth, but very friendly.

-tSYX --- If you can't rock me, somebody will...
01-04-03 12:09 PM
Scottfree I thought that was nude member, but discovered that it actually was new. So welcome to the board Lady, and if you are going to get nude please alert me.
01-04-03 12:25 PM
LadyJane I always considered John my favorite Beatle. He reminds me a lot of Keith, especially his non-subtle slams at Paul's solo work. But the more I'm reading here, George sounds like he was a really great guy. Rest in Peace George and John.

Thanks tSYX, you've enlightened me!!

LadyJ.
01-04-03 08:02 PM
Prodigal Son Weeelllll, in my view, McCartney has a few rockers from his post-Beatles days that stand up well today ("Jet," "Band on the Run," "Junior's Farm," "Live and Let Die," "Hi Hi Hi," "Let Me Roll it," "Helen Wheels") as for some more mellow songs ("Bluebird," "Picasso's Last Words," "Let 'Em in") but most of his solo/Wings output is crap. Band on the Run is pretty good, so is Venus and Mars, Ram, Flowers in the Dirt and Flaming Pie (Driving Rain was okay) but the rest are mediocre with McCartney II, Pipes of Peace, Back to the Egg, Wild Life, Red Rose Speedway and London Town taking the cake. As for the John-Paul rivalry, you're right tSXY. McCartney's veiled attacks such as "3 Legs," "Let Me Roll it," etc. were good little nasty songs while Lennon, although he rocks over Paul and is definitely the better half in my opinion, came right out and dissed him with "How Do You Sleep?" and stuff like that. Man, John was really direct all the time! "Steel and Glass," a direct cop of HDYS, eloquently describes the target, Allen Klein ("There you stand with your L.A. tan/And your New York walk and your New York talk"). It's obvious both writers needed each other. Together, Paul's corny conservative banality was edited a bit by Lennon's witty, wry, ironic, acidic and sharp edge. But those pretentious tendencies to focus on him and only him and blast everyone else were kept in check by Paul most of the time. When they stopped writing together (around 1968) the contrasts are apparent on the White Album and Abbey Road. Then on their own, the negative traits were out of hand. Anyway, John's hate for Paul was rooted in the legal mess of the Beatles, plus Paul declaring his departure when it was mutually agreed they would announce it was over after Let it Be was released. Plus, Lennon had secretly revealed to Paul his plans to quit. As well, Lennon was jealous of how perfect Paul's marriage to Linda was. He had envy over it as him and Yoko never quite stuck together very well until the mid-70s when they became inseperable forever (hence Lennon making up with Paul and becoming happier than ever as he retired).
Alright class, remember, we will pick up where we left off in our books next class.
01-04-03 10:22 PM
MP enough of this Beatles/Stones shit already. Let's talk Aerosmith!
01-04-03 10:24 PM
MP ....but i must warn you........MP's got connections....and The Montreal Express is going to be pulling into town soon...
01-04-03 10:25 PM
MP Tequila, anyone?
01-04-03 10:31 PM
Sir Stonesalot Line 'em up bro.

Aerosmith gives me a limp-on.
01-04-03 10:57 PM
~AzQb

Narrowriff?

Not much to discuss after '75 or so, is there-- while i reckon limp-ons for men, an auditory migraine for the rest of us.

Yeah, to put it rather limply, they shot their load decades ago, and never quite managed a second round, even amidst violent stroking and pulling

Joe Perry is kind of like that ditzy puppy feeling the desperate need for Tyler's choke and leash, and it's always been a bit painful to watch

I've always felt sorry for masochists.

~

01-05-03 04:02 AM
Dr. Frankenstone I am now registered to this board. I am here to share and spread the good news of the Stones with everyone. I recognize a lot of names from other boards here, so thought I would like to squeeze on in if thats OK. I have seen 8 shows this tour with 5 more to go...and that's only in the USA. My travels will take me to Holland and England next summer with tickets to every scheduled show so far. This is a beautiful site, and alot of great people. Thank you for all of your great work!!!
01-05-03 10:29 PM
MP cheers
01-05-03 10:34 PM
Sir Stonesalot Nice handle, better avatar, monsterly one.

Welcome.

Next round is on you.
01-07-03 05:48 PM
sasca Incidentally, to Xyzzy and other Harrison fans - look for his album 'Somewhere in England.' It's a neglected classic.
Page: 1 2

Visits since January 9, 2003