ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Second Leg!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones in Geelong Return to archive
January 4th, 2006 01:20 AM
Daethgod whatdyareckon ?
I know the Cats are playing home at Skilled Stadium in April..

but me and a few dudes at work were talking about it a few weeks ago, and in the local paper today the 'Street Talk' topic was ' would you go see the Rolling Stones in Geelong ..'

man if the Stones played here it would go off !!!

January 4th, 2006 01:31 AM
Daethgod just called Dainty and got the usual 'we cant say anything ..blah blah ..'

but she did say today the phone has been running hot re Stones,even some geezer from the City of Greater Geelong had phoned in ...

if the boys do hit Geelong, i have a spare room set up in Ocean Grove for Mick or Keef if they wanna save a few pennies...

January 4th, 2006 04:32 AM
RSRTG If it happens, I'm there baby......I'm 'teetering' on the edge of booking my date with Wembley.
January 4th, 2006 07:49 AM
Gazza For what its worth, some guy posted on IORR a few days ago that according to his (usually reliable) sources, the Stones wont be playing Oz at all - as its due to be a couple of weeks after U2, they reckon that the sky high prices the Stones demand are too much to expect the market to bear.

Personally, I think they'll play a couple of dates down there myself but I guess you guys know more.
January 4th, 2006 04:23 PM
Daethgod yer story in todays paper says they will come
was on radio news all morning too
still searching for a venue tho ..
heres todays story (nothing new tho ):

Melbourne may get Stones' satisfaction
Nui Te Koha
05jan06

THE Rolling Stones look certain to tour Australia in April.

The Stones have confirmed a series of gigs in Japan in March, setting the stage for shows Down Under.

The band's authoritative European fan site iorr.org says the Stones will visit New Zealand before an Australian tour.

So far, the only Australian date floated by iorr.org is at Sydney's Aussie Stadium in April.

The scale of venues announced in Japan and New Zealand suggests the Stones want to do stadium-only gigs.

But the MCG and Docklands Stadium are booked for football fixtures when the Stones arrive.

Promoter Paul Dainty is scouting for a suitable Melbourne venue and is expected to confirm a tour soon.

There is, however, an arena version of the Stones show -- A Bigger Bang -- on the world tour. The Stones will play to 16,000-seat venues in Los Angeles and Las Vegas before they go to Japan.

Traditionally, the iorr.org website is accurate and gets its information from Stones insiders.

The Stones will perform in Tokyo on March 22 and 24. Japanese media have also reported unconfirmed dates for Sapporo, Sendai, Saitama and Nagoya.

Plans to include Australia in the Stones' world tour plans were announced last year by their record label, Virgin.

Stones world tour promoter Michael Cohl offered a limited-date run in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane.

The Stones' last visit to Australia was for their 40 Licks tour in 2003.

They scaled down their big stadium rock for more intimate shows at Rod Laver Arena.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17731805%255E2902,00.html
January 4th, 2006 04:25 PM
Daethgod heres todays Geelong paper !

http://www.geelonginfo.com.au/readarticle.asp?articleid=18311

The Stones rolling to Geelong?

Come on, Mick, give Geelong a go.

Thursday, January 5
REBECCA TUCKER

THE Rolling Stones are on tour - New York, Paris, London . . . how about Geelong?

Thanks to the AFL, Melbourne's two venues big enough for the British rockers, the MCG and Telstra Dome, are booked up in April - the only free month on the Stones' touring calendar.

Geelong has the solution to bring the rock band to Victoria.

Skilled Stadium is free from AFL commitments on April 22 and 29, paving the way for the Stones.

And Geelong Mayor Peter McMullin and Cats chief executive Brian Cook are keen to roll out Skilled Stadium's red carpet for one of the world's most popular rock bands.

``We'd do whatever we could to facilitate such an event,'' Cr McMullin said.

``Obviously, if other venues aren't available, we have got an excellent venue here.''

He said the Geelong Major Events team would discuss pursuing the option with the Stones' Australian promoter, Paul Dainty.

A Dainty spokeswoman this week would not comment except to say nothing had been confirmed for the Australian tour.

Cr McMullin said he believed anything was possible so long as the city had a go.

``Look at the Chiba Lotte Marines - if we hadn't talked to them, they wouldn't be coming here,'' he said about the Japanese baseball team about to visit Geelong for training.

The enthusiasm for the Stones was prompted by calls from the Geelong Advertiser yesterday.

Cats chief Brian Cook said the concert could be a possibility on either April 22 or 29, when Geelong plays away games.

The Geelong Falcons are scheduled to play at home on April 29 but Mr Cook said that could be changed if the promoter was willing.

``It would be a hell of a coup to get the Stones, there's no doubt about that,'' he said.

``It would be fantastic for the community, great for tourism, local hotels and shops, providing people stayed overnight.''

Mr Cook said the stadium's capacity for a concert would be around 25,000, excluding part of the seating area where the stage would back and including seating on part of the grass.

January 4th, 2006 05:09 PM
Daethgod also a piece in todays Herald Sun Hit mag liftout where they basically run the same story :
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17731805%255E2902,00.html

but add at the bottom '... the band are playing smaller venues in teh US so why not smaller shows heer in Melbourne, watch this space for more info..'

hmmm
man i would love to see A Bigger Bang at Rod Laver again !

our newsroom is tryng to interview Dainty today, so hopefully we will get some more juice

January 4th, 2006 05:37 PM
Gazza Good to hear that things are looking good for Aussie shows

seems the guy on IORR was talking through his shitter, then
[Edited by Gazza]
January 4th, 2006 07:31 PM
gypsymofo60 The Rolling Stones in Geelong! HA! Best one I've heard ever. They aren't even coming to Australia, it's obvious. Geelong?....And after that they'll be doing a couple of benefits in Kalgoorlie.
January 4th, 2006 07:44 PM
Daethgod man they will come to Australia
latest i hear is that will play Dubbo, some RSL hall.. with ladies making scones and cakes

January 4th, 2006 09:12 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
man they will come to Australia
latest i hear is that will play Dubbo, some RSL hall.. with ladies making scones and cakes

LOL. Dubbo! How about Queenscliff pub in the beer garden, or unplugged at Mietta's?
January 4th, 2006 10:30 PM
Daethgod or the Sphinx!

January 4th, 2006 10:37 PM
jb It's fluid, but as of now, no Aussie shows(U2 wiped out market-Cohl knew U2 would sell there and saved Stones for more US dates)....sorry SIA and Corgi...maybe things will change.
January 4th, 2006 11:42 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Daethgod wrote:
or the Sphinx!

Hot off the press; Stones two nights only at The Pelican Bar in booming Frankston. Why not? Johnny Rotten did it.
January 4th, 2006 11:45 PM
jb
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Hot off the press; Stones two nights only at The Pelican Bar in booming Frankston. Why not? Johnny Rotten did it.

They can look for Olivia Newtons John missing lover?
January 4th, 2006 11:49 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
jb wrote:

They can look for Olivia Newtons John missing lover?

...He got so sick of her, "Istill call Australia home" bullshit rhetoric for Aussies back home he drowned 'isself.
January 4th, 2006 11:51 PM
jb
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
...He got so sick of her, "Istill call Australia home" bullshit rhetoric for Aussies back home he drowned 'isself.

Did he feel mellow? Did he ever try?
January 5th, 2006 12:08 AM
gypsymofo60 I'd drown myself after a night with Livvy. She's so sweet! Am I Australian? Am I English? Am I American?
January 5th, 2006 05:30 PM
Daethgod looks like the story still has legs.. small piece in todays Herald Sun and this in local Geelong paper

Rolling Stones gather support

Mick Jagger
Friday, January 6
Daniel Breen

CITY Hall has contacted the The Rolling Stones' management in a bid to lure the iconic band to Geelong.

The international supergroup is expected to tour Australia in April but with football commitments ruling the MCG or Melbourne's Telstra Dome, Geelong Mayor Peter McMullin said Skilled Stadium was more than capable of housing The Rolling Stones' Victorian fans.

He said council officers had contacted Rolling Stones Bigger Bang tour promoter Paul Dainty to offer the city's services.

``We have contacted the Stones' promoters, there has been no decision about whether they will tour Australia but we have indicated to them that Skilled Stadium is a significant venue, with its capacity and proximity to Melbourne,'' Mr McMullin said.

``As the managers of Skilled Stadium, we have made it very clear that we would be keen to discuss with them the question of whether they are coming to Australia. If they are, we'll make it clear that Geelong is a very good place for a concert.''

Geelong made a habit of hosting big acts during 2005, with international artists Joe Cocker and Kelly Clarkson delighting the region's music lovers during their brief stopovers.

Cr McMullin said Geelong was equally capable of hosting the ageing but hugely popular British rockers and the council would do everything it could to land one of the biggest events in the city's history.

``I think this is an opportunity that we shouldn't let pass and we'll do everything we can to get a favourable outcome,'' he said.

The band last visited Australia during their 2003 Forty Licks tour.

http://www.geelonginfo.com.au/readarticle.asp?articleid=18323
January 5th, 2006 05:46 PM
exile been away from my computer for a few weeks.

hmmm nothing yet on Aussie shows.

oh well. Im still sure they will come.

Happy new year everyone. If they do announce a presale can someone text me, as i will be again away from my computer.
January 5th, 2006 05:59 PM
Daethgod u r on the list exile !
January 6th, 2006 05:57 PM
Daethgod todays local paper ..
(radio host Peter Mobbs is me btw)

i think the reporter is a bit mixed up as the smaller US crowds are on the arena tour and we are likely to get the stadium..at least she didnt call them 'ageing'

Push for Stones tour

Saturday, January 7
Rebecca Adam

K-ROCK and Geelong's diehard rock `n' roll fans have jumped aboard the Geelong Advertiser's ``bandwagon'' in an attempt to bring the Rolling Stones to Skilled Stadium.

K-Rock's program director Daryl Reader said one of Geelong's biggest Rolling Stones fans, radio host Peter Mobbs, was already on the case.

``He's spent a lot of time on the phones hassling the Stones' Australian promoter Paul Dainty, and I think they're really getting sick of him,'' he said.

Mr Reader is looking for some suggestions from the general public on how the media organisations should go about bringing Geelong's case to the promoters, and asked anyone with ideas, comments or suggestions to e-mail them either into the newspaper or the radio station.

He said K-Rock had already been playing the Stones' new single on air and talking them up during promo time, but were looking for the right avenue to create the most attention.

``Over the next couple of days we will discuss the best way to attack this and look for the most effective way of creating the biggest Rolling Stones campaign the promoters have ever seen,'' Mr Reader said.

It seems the campaign already has the support of some of Geelong's biggest rock fans.

Belmont High school teacher John Robinson describes himself as a ``rock god'' and in 1995 went to see the Stones perform at the MCG and in 2003 at Rod Laver Arena.

The self confessed rock `n' roll fan loved the 1995 concert so much he went back the following night to see them again.

``The way Mike Jagger struts around the stage there's no one like him,'' Mr Robinson said.

``His performing skills are fantastic.''

When asked if he would go see the concert at Skilled Stadium, Mr Robinson's response was ``too right, I'd be there with bells on''.

``I couldn't imagine anyone who wouldn't want to go see them,'' he said.

Skilled Stadium could become the hottest venue for the rock legends to play at because the only two venues in Melbourne big enough to host the concert, Telstra Dome and the MCG are booked for AFL games during April, the only month the Rolling Stones have free on their touring schedule.

But Geelong's Skilled Stadium is free of AFL commitments on April 22 and 29, permitting the British rockers to make a quick trip Down Under between their North American and Europe ``A Bigger Bang'' Tour.

Skilled Stadium has more than enough room to accommodate the Stones, considering most of the North American venues they will play at are smaller than what Geelong has to offer.

Cats chief executive Brian Cook said Skilled Stadium's capacity for a concert would be around 25,000.

After some investigation, the Geelong Advertiser can reveal that 10 out of the 21 venues on the Rolling Stones' North American leg had smaller capacities than Skilled Stadium.

http://www.geelonginfo.com.au/readarticle.asp?articleid=18336

[Edited by Daethgod]
January 7th, 2006 01:42 AM
corgi37 YOU are Peter Mobbs. Unreal! I know a celeb! hahaha. Look, i hope it happens, but just cant see it. No doubt they'd need/prefer a more central venue. Olympic & Princes Parks being the most obvious. And, the major freaking hassle is getting there. Though, you know, it could have a sort of "Woodstock" feel about it. Masses of cars heading down the freeway. The train ride would be cool. And the Stones arriving by chopper.

To quote Neil Young "I'm a thousand miles away, from that helicopter day".

To truly seal the deal, the council should offer some free stuff. Like, free local security, free permits, no EPA hassles, free use of the stadium, meet the transport costs, and couple of free slabs of VB.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)