ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bell Center - January 8, 2003
Ryan Remiorz - AP Photo/Canadian Press
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Music Tours Take in Record $2.1B in 2002 Return to archive
01-03-03 07:24 PM
Martha
Entertainment
Full Story 01/03/2003��18:12:09�EST

Music Tours Take in Record $2.1B in 2002
By NEKESA MUMBI MOODY
AP Music Writer

Classic acts such as Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones and Cher lured more people to concerts in 2002 and helped the industry make a record $2.1 billion in ticket sales, according to figures released Friday.

This was the fourth straight year concert receipts reached record levels in America. There were $1.75 billion in sales in 2001, according to trade publication Pollstar, which tracks the concert industry.

In 2001, ticket costs rose and sales declined, Pollstar said. Last year, increased ticket sales helped push concert receipts higher.

"We had some very big marquee names out on tour this year," said Pollstar's Gary Bongiovanni. "Paul McCartney has not worked in a long time, and the Rolling Stones only come out every couple of years."

McCartney had the top-grossing tour, raking in $103 million. Fans paid an average of $130 per ticket to see the former Beatle, who hadn't toured the United States in about a decade.

The Rolling Stones tour placed second, coming in at $88 million, with an average ticket price of $119. Pollstar said it was the first time the Stones hadn't hit the No. 1 spot with their U.S. tour.

Cher's tour - which the singer said would be her last - was in third place, at $74 million, followed by the Billy Joel & Elton John concerts, which grossed $65 million, and the Dave Matthews Band, at $60 million.

Other acts in the top 10 were Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Aerosmith, Creed, Neil Diamond and The Eagles.

Creed and the Dave Matthews Band were the only acts in the top 10 that aren't veteran acts - and that represents one of the industry's problems, Bongiovanni said.

"The acts that are at the top have got to be reaching the end of their touring life," he said. "Where the next generation of headlining acts is going to come from is anybody's guess."

___

On the Net:

Pollstar Web site: http://www.pollstaronline.com

Copyright 2003 Associated Press.
01-03-03 07:35 PM
Nellcote Thanks Martha!

JB....please comment on this breaking story.....
How could this happen?
[Edited by Nellcote]
01-03-03 08:13 PM
Scot Rocks Thanks Martha, so Macca's prices on average were higher than the Stones, I remember he made a snide comment about the Stones and their ticket prices before the tour, looks like he was spouting shit as usual...

Mark
01-03-03 10:57 PM
Martha
You are very welcome!

Keep in mind too, that the Stones have only been on the road since September while, MACCA went out early in 2002. :-) Mwwhhhhhhhaaaaa!

01-03-03 11:14 PM
parmeda Great info Martha...as usual!
It kinda puts things into order for me...LMAO.
I just "did the math" in my head on all of the $$$ I've spent this past year on the many shows and events I've had the pleasure to witness...

OH MY GOD!...is all that keeps coming to mind

Thanks Martha....Happy New Year!
01-04-03 05:32 AM
egon but they just talk money.
i read somewhere the the greenday/blink 182 tour had the most visitors in the USA
01-04-03 05:41 AM
fmk438j Remember the article(s) written about a year and a half ago about how no acts were considering touring in 02/03 becuase there was no market. They quoted all kinds of sources saying how no one wanted to attend concerts in this period and that the stones would have a real hard time touring in such a climate.

I swear, if journalists were shown up for all the false predictions they make we wouldn't believe a word.
01-04-03 10:19 AM
Boomhauer
quote:
egon wrote:
but they just talk money.
i read somewhere the the greenday/blink 182 tour had the most visitors in the USA

Yeah, egon...........................those were some pretty stupid vistors, weren't they?
01-05-03 01:29 PM
Martha
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Great info Martha...as usual!
It kinda puts things into order for me...LMAO.
I just "did the math" in my head on all of the $$$ I've spent this past year on the many shows and events I've had the pleasure to witness...

OH MY GOD!...is all that keeps coming to mind

Thanks Martha....Happy New Year!

Hi parmeda..Thank you and Happy New Year to you as well. I always enjoy your posts and am glad to have met you in 2002.

As far as the costs for all the shows in 2002..personally speaking..YIKES or EEEEEK!!! comes to mind. I inventoried the costs of our concert tickets and hotel and the stuff we bought at shows in 2002...HOLY MOLY!

Thud...............

Faint dead away...

revived several hours later by the cat licking my face....

fish breath....

Pull self up off the floor.

It IS pricey. Too pricey, in fact. I know the cost of tickets makes going to a show prohibitive for many music fans and I really don't like that aspect of the concert biz.

I don't think that's right......

I'll keep going as long as I am able to pay the price, though.