ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bell Center - January 8, 2003
Ryan Remiorz - AP Photo/Canadian Press
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: No Dublin show in 2003 Return to archive
01-03-03 03:51 PM
Gazza A few people have expressed interest both here on the board and by private e-mail to me regarding a trip to Ireland for the rumoured Stones show there on the European Tour. The Irish edition of the "Daily Mirror" reported a couple of months ago that the band were being lined up to play Slane Castle (near Dublin) in August.

It's 100% **NOT** going to happen. The bill for Slane '03 will be announced in the next few days (Coldplay are supposedly headlining, although thats unconfirmed). However, what IS definite is that the show will take place on Saturday 23rd August 2003. The Stones won't be able to play on that date as they will be playing Twickenham in London on the same day. (source : Daily Mirror, today)

Obviously it's a possibility they could play another location somewhere in Ireland, but as Slane was the projected venue, that would seem extremely unlikely.

As a footnote, I was in HMV in Belfast a few weeks ago buying Bill Wyman's book and, on noticing my "tongue" logo on my Stones tour jacket, a hopelessly optimistic young shop assistant told me she'd heard from a good source the Stones were about to confirm that they were playing the Limelight in Belfast in a few weeks (the place holds about 700). Polite guy that I am, I did my best to stifle my laughter, but at least she meant well. I think there's about as much chance of that show taking place as Brian re-joining...
01-03-03 03:53 PM
jb I am very sorry Gazza..I know how disappointed all of you must be...Atleast you will make the London shows. Peace and happy New Year. Your friend..Mr. Lawyer.
01-03-03 04:08 PM
Gazza Thanks josh and happy new year to you too

Not that bothered,really - didnt seriously think it would take place...and I dont care much for 'festival' shows anyway.. Slane invariably consists of six hours of dodging vomiting,brawling drunks - and thats just the women.

I'm happy to have tickets for two of the three London shows (Twickenham and Astoria). I can get Wembley if I sign up for a hotel & ticket package, but would prefer to get my own tickets somehow and make my own accommodation arrangements. I think we'll get a couple more UK shows though anyway.

Yours, Bill the Butcher...
01-03-03 04:10 PM
jb I think Rik(Moonisup) neede some travel info for London..he is coming from Holland.
01-03-03 04:17 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat too bad... I would have loved to see them at Slane!
01-03-03 04:34 PM
Gazza >I think Rik(Moonisup) neede some travel info for London..he is coming from Holland

Yeah, I know..he mailed me a day or two ago about it and I gave him some info

anyone thinking of signing up for London hotel/ticket packages could try any of the following links:

ETS (official Stones endorsed site)- link on Martha's site here : http://www.therolling-stones.com/

Event Travel : http://www.eventtravel.co.uk/customer/home.php

Badlands:
http://www.badlands.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_ROLLING_STONES_CONCERT_HOLIDAY_PACKAGES_2003_3052.html

[Edited by Gazza]
01-03-03 04:50 PM
lotsajizz Damn shame...I come almost every year (usually September, but I would have moved it up if I had to) and Bushmills from the source (a great side-trip, pay homage) would've done the trick!! Ah, well..always Holland and its wares....
01-03-03 04:50 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat Signed up today for the Wembley show!!!
Rik and I will rock and lick London!
01-03-03 05:06 PM
Moonisup I never got your mail Gazza
01-03-03 08:51 PM
glencar No show in Eire? Sad news indeed. I'll be over there in April right before Easter if my plans work out. I guess I'll have to see about seeing the Stones in Holland instead...
01-05-03 11:31 AM
Factory Girl Gazza, I have a Slane Castle question of a different nature.

Do you know where I could find the setlist for Dylan's Slane Castle show in 1984? Thanks and Happy New Year.
01-05-03 02:14 PM
Gazza Hi there FG - I was at that show (my 2nd Dylan show,as I'd seen him in Newcastle 3 days earlier)

Final show of the 1984 tour which featured Santana as supporting act on all 27 shows.. Irish band In Tua Nua opened the show and Ub40 also were on the bill. At around 165 minutes it was one of the longest shows Dylan ever played:

Bob's setlist was as follows:

Highway 61 Revisited
Jokerman
All Along The Watchtower
Just Like A Woman
Maggie's Farm
I And I
License To Kill
Imagination (played by the band, without Bob)
A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall(acoustic)
Tangled Up In Blue (acoustic)
To Ramona (acoustic)
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding) (acoustic)
Shelter From The Storm
Masters Of War
Ballad Of A Thin Man
Enough Is Enough
Every Grain Of Sand
Like A Rolling Stone

Encore #1:
Mr. Tambourine Man (acoustic)
With God On Our Side (acoustic)
Girl From The North Country (acoustic)
Simple Twist Of Fate
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue
Tupelo Honey
Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat
Tombstone Blues
The Times They Are A-Changin'

Encore #2:
Blowin' In The Wind

Carlos Santana played guitar from "Simple twist of fate" onwards
Van Morrison played gtr and vocal on "Baby blue" and "Tupelo honey"
Bono sang backing vocals with Leslie Dowdall and Steve Wickham of In Tua Nua on "leopard skin pill box hat".
He then reappeared to duet on the final song and made a twat of himself by revealing himself to be the only songwriter in the world who doesnt know the lyrics of "Blowin' in the wind"..so he IMPROVISED HIS OWN..suffice to say the result was hideous. I still shudder at the thought of it.

have the full show as an audience recording in case you're interested in it, plus about an hour or so of it as a soundboard
01-05-03 03:38 PM
Factory Girl Wow, Thanks Gazza! I'll PM you.