ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bell Center - January 8, 2003
Ryan Remiorz - AP Photo/Canadian Press
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Album Cover Design Return to archive
01-03-03 11:17 AM
L&A Hi ! I've just received the Clapton Live on Tour-CD (from a radio game ).
Music and sound are ok, DVD is good, but the album cover is, at my humble opinion, really ... ugly. It's naff (corny ?) but not enough to be trendy.
Looking at the credits, I see that album cover concept is signed by ... EC (guess he just bought a new Macintosh with Photoshop).

I think Album Cover Art is something really difficult (I work in the visual communication industry). Sticky Fingers has certainly one of the best album covers since the beginning of time. The legendary Blue Note Records album covers are also incredibely nice.

What are your favorites (not only Stones, also other artists...) ?

Please post your top 5 here, it should be really instructive (for me ).
01-03-03 12:15 PM
FPM C10
quote:
L&A wrote:
What are your favorites (not only Stones, also other artists...) ?

Please post your top 5 here, it should be really instructive (for me ).

In No Particular Order:

1. The Clash: London Calling Copying font style and layout from the first Elvis album was a bold move, one which could have been embarrassing if this great cover art didn't encase one of the best albums ever. The cover photo of Paul Simenon preparing to destroy his jazz bass is archetypal. This cover art places the Clash firmly in the rock pantheon, in a place of honor between '56 Elvis and '67 Who.

2. Rolling Stones: Between The Buttons This photo just slays me. A more lurid public service announcement for the Dark Side could not have been imagined in 1967. "Remember, kids, take your drugs!"

3. Bob Dylan: Blonde On Blonde Dylan, stretched across the gatefold of his double-album masterpiece, is obviously accusing us all of SOMETHING. What? Not being as hip as him? Well, no one was!

4. The Beatles: The Butcher Cover The fab mop-tops as baby butchers. A brilliant piece of artistic suicide made more precocious by its withdrawl, its market value rendered even more Warholian by the fact that many of the most valuable collector's editions lie hidden under hastily-pasted-on replacement covers of the Beatles in packing trunks.

5. All of the Ohio Player album covers.

I edited this one just to add covers!

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
01-03-03 12:17 PM
sasca The Rolling Stones
With the Beatles
Roxy Music (including inside)
Low
Raw Power

(another day, another 5.)
01-03-03 12:41 PM
Soul Survivor Stones - Beggars Banquet

Beatles - White Album

KISS - Dressed To Kill

Beatles - Revolver

Stones - Undercover
01-03-03 01:01 PM
sasca Every Kraftwerk album.
01-03-03 02:06 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Say what you want about The Beatles, but they did have some great album covers.

My favorite is still The White Album. It's just... there. Congratulations. Here is one of the greatest works of popular music in the 20th century. We don't need to put any smarmy cover on it. It's just there.

The top 5 Stones albums also have their best covers - Beggar's Banquet, Let It Bleed (the cake! My favorite, probably), Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main Street (the packaging for this album is priceless. I'm still looking for the Exile postcards), and Some Girls.

Live At Leeds makes the same statement The White Album does. Who's Next is also great - it was kind of "Wow. This is bleak society after Altamont. And we're pissing on it."

Yeah, and then there's Abbey Road, and Revolver, and Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band. Nothing more to be said.

There are bunches more that I like... Roger Waters's The Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking, McCartney (disguises the terrible music contained within), a bunch of others that I've got too much work to talk about.

Curse you, papers to write over winter break!

-tSYX --- I can't turn ya loose now...
01-03-03 02:13 PM
sasca The Madcap Laughs
Barrett
Diamond Dogs
Ritual de la Habitual (original)
The Velvet Underground and Nico
01-03-03 05:29 PM
F505 Tutu -Miles davis
Sticky Fingers -RS
Some girls- RS
Rolling Stones 1 en 2
Gasolin' -Gasolin'
Muswell Hillbillies- Kinks
White Album - Beatles

and a lot more

01-03-03 10:03 PM
gypsymofo60 It's Only Rock n'Roll, Guy Peelart did some great work on The Stones,.....Sabbath Bloody Sabbath-1973....Led Zeppelin,The debut-1969.........Milestones-compilation,rubbish choice of songs typical Decca/London cash in, but great cover. Who's Next-1971, anyone for a slash? Use Your Illusion-1991. Love you Live-1977....Settin Sons The Jam-1979. I hate Pink Floyd, but 'Wish You Were Here'was a great cover. Prodigy's 'Fat Of The Land'.... Beggars Banquet if- They'd used the original gatefold as the front cover, oh! And Dylan's 'The Basement Tapes.
01-03-03 11:36 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The best covers were created in the 70s

1.- I love all Roger Dean and Patrick Woodroffe covers. (Yes, Uriah Heep, Greenslade, Badger, Rare Earth, Osibisa, Snafu, etc). Some are well known. Probably the best by Roger Dean is the one for Badger's "One Live Badger" and this is also a great album.

The best by Patrick is probably Greenslade "Time and Tide" but he lost his creativity as tried to use the image and logo already created by Roger Dean.

Patrick:

Roger:

Later he made a joint effort with Dave Greenslade, music by Dave and a booklet with art by Patrick, but both were really bad LOL.

2.- What about Oh La La by the Faces, a great desing and art, very original. If you judge only for the main cover it is poor you need to see the album to appreciate it.

3.- Of course Frank Zappa's We're only in it for the money, I love it but it is also considered by critics as one of the best covers ever and it was created in 1967!

More Zappa covers 1 2 3 4

4.- King Crimson "In the court of the Crimson King" is not just a masterpiece, the cover was pretty original at the time it was created in 1969

5.- Dreams 1 and Imagine My Surprise they are not just a couple of great albums but I love the covers! The cover of Dreams 1 just gave me an idea, that's why I'm not going to post it

You are gonna kill me but my favourite rolling stones album cover is GHS, I loved since the first time I saw it, it looks so stone!

[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
01-04-03 01:17 AM
gypsymofo60 Uriah Heep! How could I have forgotten them?.....'Very 'eavy, Very 'Umble-1970, great cover. Return To Fantasy-1975 weren't bad either.
01-04-03 02:41 AM
Bluzian Ya know, it took me a few years to realize that on the cover
of Goat's Head Soup, it was Mick!?!? Same with Tattoo You!!!
but how is one to "know"!?

Top Five Album Covers:

1. Sticky Fingers
2. AMORICA (black crowes)
3. Abbey Road
4. Physical Graffiti (zep)
5. Disreali Gears (Cream)

Cheers
Ian
01-04-03 07:21 AM
Dr. Frankenstone 1) Led Zeppelin, Physical Graffiti
2) Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here
3) X, Los Angeles
4) Bob Marley, Catch A Fire
5) Black Sabbath, self titled
01-04-03 09:36 AM
Fabio Hot Stuff Nobody knows "IT'S ALIVE"?
That double live album of the RAMONES, it's only pure original rock'n'roll cover art.
That photo was fantastic...if you look at it with intensity, you can see the ghost of our KEEF and hear the Chuck Berry r'n'r licks...
01-04-03 04:13 PM
sasca The Manic Street Preachers - 'Generation Terrorists.'
01-04-03 04:14 PM
Moonisup well just 1

the rolling stones - the rolling stones

no text, just 5 guys with acne
01-04-03 10:31 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Other great cover by the Rolling Stones (released official in the UK only) is Gimme Shelter. Side 2 was recorded live at the Royal Albert Hall and has a version of the Otis Redding tune "I've Been Loving You Too Long"

01-04-03 10:51 PM
Sir Stonesalot The Pixies--"Surfer Rosa"
Tits are ALWAYS a good idea for on an album cover.

Molly Hatchet--"Flirtin' With Disaster"
The album is crap, but that insane barbarian/viking dude with the battle axe is great.

Robbie Fulks--"Country Love Songs"
What is not to love about this one. Appalachia guy with axe, in mid swing, with terrified looking wife about to have her head lopped off. It's so sick and twisted, especially given the album title.

The Ramones--"The Ramones"
There's just something so RIGHT about that album cover.

The Rolling Stones--"Jumping Jack Flash"
45 picture sleeve. One of my all time fave pics of the band.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]
01-04-03 11:59 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
The Pixies--"Surfer Rosa"
Tits are ALWAYS a good idea for on an album cover.

Molly Hatchet--"Flirtin' With Disaster"
The album is crap, but that insane barbarian/viking dude with the battle axe is great.

Robbie Fulks--"Country Love Songs"
What is not to love about this one. Appalachia guy with axe, in mid swing, with terrified looking wife about to have her head lopped off. It's so sick and twisted, especially given the album title.

The Ramones--"The Ramones"
There's just something so RIGHT about that album cover.

The Rolling Stones--"Jumping Jack Flash"
45 picture sleeve. One of my all time fave pics of the band.

[Edited by Sir Stonesalot]

Molly Hatchet!...What ever happened to them?...Ever seen the cover to 'Beatin' The Odds'? And believe it or not I've never seen the 45 cover to JJF. Is it similar to the cover to the comp album, No Stone Unturned?
01-05-03 12:20 AM
gypsymofo60 Some more, sorry can't help myself it's a great subject......'Argus'- Wishbone Ash.........'Heavy Weather'- Weather Report..'War'-U2....'Gimme Some Neck'- Ronnie....Peter Gabriel's third album- No title again-1980. Anything from Heart, Annie always brightens up an album cover.......Worst covers...RAM McCartney, always wondered what happened to that sheep afterwards baaaaahh!....Ted Nugent's 'Double Live Gonzo' shoulda read BONZO!...Zeppelin's second album cover, Sorry about this but The Stones have had their share IMO...Emotional Rescue, uggggghhhh!....Steel Wheels, BOLLOCKS!.... Dirty Work, ditto..KISS- Destroyer...Frampton Comes Alive...Eagles- 'Hotel California'....But the all time worst album cover goes to.....BUDGIE....what crap!!!!!!!!
01-05-03 12:53 AM
Sir Stonesalot G-Mofo!

I know you've seen this pic sleeve....

Brian holding a glass of brandy, and a devil pitchfork.
Bill wearing a yellow satin shirt, and some kind od wierd Salvador Dali lookin' devil mask.
Keith as a psychadelic/psychotic WW1 fighter pilot.
Mick as a pirate, complete with a knife between clenched teeth.
And Charlie, a black bandana worn over his face desparado style...and, oddly, a lightbulb in his mouth.

I actually met Molly Hatchet a few years back. I sold 'em an ounce of weed, and gave the singer a ride to the local beer distributor. See thay had this gigantic bus, and when they asked for directions to the nearest beer store...well, I told them it would be easier to just give 'em a ride.

They had a 4 foot tall bottle of Jack Daniels(tour sponsor) bolted into the wall of their bus. You just stuck your glass under the spigot, and pushed up.

They stopped for a quick bite to eat, and ended up parked in the local truck stop parking lot for almost 4 hours. It was pretty fun. They gave us passes for the next days show....but that is another story for another time.

I think the same artist did all of their album art. It reminds me of Boris Vallejo...but it's not him.
01-05-03 01:16 AM
gypsymofo60 Yeah! That's what I thought same cover as No Stone Unturned, great picture of the band, apparentley taken during the recording of JJF the black& white film clip. ...WOW! A four foot bottle of JD Super, GITONBOARD! All their album covers were great, but I've never heard of the artist you mentioned. Have you ever seen Peelart's book Rock Dreams?....PS I thought the competition rocked, and what was all that alpha male bollocks?...Maybe we should organise a humour drive for those who need it eh?
01-05-03 11:15 AM
L&A Well, what a great selection !

Another important fact in the Cover Art history is the arrival of the CD-size... You're right, Gerardo, when you say that best covers were created in the 70s, but reduced to 125 x 125 mm, most of them are loosing impact.

Considering the new reduced size, I think that Flashpoint was a good design, even if it was not enough personalised for the Stones...