ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bell Center - January 8, 2003
Ryan Remiorz - AP Photo/Canadian Press
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Other Music Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-03-03 10:29 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
no worries gmf ' tho i can see how you might have thought so -there is an amusing side to it

agree - spiderbait are good...regurgitator too

a lot of dave graney's stuff is good - EVERYBODY should hear "Rock and Roll is Where I Hide"

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]I've only heard one Dave Graney album, I'm ashamed to admit, can't even remember what it was called, but the song 'You're Just Too Hip, Baby' was the single, I think.

01-03-03 10:36 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:
Yeah. LOL

The managers and workers of these stores are all about 17 so if you buy something older than about 5 years, they think its fuckin ancient

Yes alas! Gone are the days when my drummer would surrepticiously slide the latest ultra hip platter into my greedy mits as I visited the record store he was employed at. Call it a record shop today and they look at you as if you just dropped out of the Pleistocene on the back of a sauropod.......Who the fuck is Mick Jagger? Indeed!
01-03-03 10:40 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl By "other music" I understand "Other music", so no Rock, no blues no stones-related music, no pop, no rocks and roll, no reggae, no funk, no punk, no progressive, no classical, no grunch, no techno, no new-wave, no latin, no indie, no commercial, no shit.

1.- Advanced fussion of Psychedelic-progressive-insane music: Carlos Alvarado's "The Music of Erich Zann", or any Chac Mool, or Jorge Reyes album. Jorge is easy to find in Europe, others are really hard to find anywhere but I can help. Also similar and easy to find is Gong (Camembert Electrique or any Live album), in fact they have recorded two albums with Mick Taylor: Expresso and Expresso II, nothing related with Stones music.
2.- Fourth millenium classical music: Frank Zappa "The Yellow Shark"
3.- Techno extravaganza: Hajime Tachibana - HM
4.- Psychedelic-Schizophrenic-blues: Groundhogs - Obituary Blues. I hated this album 30 years ago, like a bad trip... now is one of my favs LOL.
5.- Acid Music "Timothy Leary goes to heaven" by Odeil Odrareg

01-03-03 11:23 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

and these - a little more obscure -

"magic box" - the loved ones - anarchic and outrageous (in a way working from the same blue-print as the birthday party) but in a muted '60's fashion - before everybody let it all hang out in '70's

"sex,dope,rock and roll - teenage heaven" - daddy cool

"pub with no beer" - slim dusty

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]

I love that Daddy Cool album, too -- very strange combination of Stonesian sleaze and Frank Zappa sarcasm. The Teenage Blues and the song that goes boogie boogie boogie boogie boogie -- excellent.

The Loved Ones is a major hole in my listening experience and I don't know what you're on about atall when you mention Slim Dusty.

Don't know if you got my latest e-mail, but I am quite interested in live recordings by the Beasts of Bourbon. Heard the five song sampler from '97 and it's brutal -- "You think the sun shines from under your skirt!" What can you commend unto me?

01-04-03 12:10 AM
stonedinaustralia nasty - no i haven't had mail from you in ages - when did you send it?? - i was having probs. there for a while

can you reiterate your request re the Beasts - if it's their live album your after i'll look into it for you - it'd be good to hear from you in any event - 'tho i'm musing/brooding on a lengthy response to your last two pm's

as for the loved ones that hole should be filled - again i'll see what i can do - i'd be interested in your opinion -in mine they are more than a match for a lot of '60's bands from the US or UK or anywhere else for that matter -
01-04-03 12:12 AM
stonedinaustralia as for slim dusty - he's the grand old man of australian country music

"..oh there's nothing more lonesome, morbid or drear -
than to sit at the bar of a pub with no beer"
01-04-03 12:37 AM
Fiji Joe A lot of old blues lately...and I mean old...I mentioned in another thread, but, you can search for Fort Valley State Blues Festival at the library of Congress and listen to over a 100 old blues and gospel tunes...Really in the Robert Johnson and Leadbelly vain...they are really good and interesting...and if you get that far, I can tell you how to download the files
01-04-03 01:17 PM
sasca Woo, thanks everyone. I must investigate the Library of Congress - it's pleasing that someone cares enough to remember. Unlike the BBC who threw out priceless films of Syd's Pink Floyd and Tomorrow to make room for a new coffee machine.
01-04-03 03:54 PM
Chest Rockwell Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols - Sex Pistols

Run Devil Run - Paul McCartney

Veni Vidi Vicious - The Hives

Maladroit - Weezer

Let There Be Rock - AC\DC

01-04-03 05:25 PM
purrcafe I almost forgot:
Pet Sounds!
01-04-03 06:00 PM
Sir Stonesalot The Chess Blues Box
Global A Go-go---Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros
Surfer Rosa---The Pixies
Black Sea---XTC
The Stooges---The Stooges
Raindogs---Tom Waits
If I Should Fall From Grace With God---The Pogues
When I Was Cruel---Elvis Costello
Forever---Cracker
Roots---Blue Mountain(Try to get the German version with the four electric songs on the end)
The Chess Box---Muddy Waters
01-04-03 06:35 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
nasty - no i haven't had mail from you in ages - when did you send it?? - i was having probs. there for a while

I think it was last Monday or Tuesday. I sent it to your work address.

Anyway --

Pharaoh Sanders - Tauhid
Freddie Hubbard - Sing Me a Song of Songmy
Ted Curson - Tears for Dolphy
Dan Melchior's Broke Review - Bitterness Spite Rage and Scorn
Reigning Sound - Time Bomb High School
01-04-03 07:05 PM
stonedinaustralia thanx - i've been on holidays the last two weeks - at least i've got one thing to look forawrd to when i go back to the office tomorrow

thanks again - i'll be in touch soon
01-04-03 10:07 PM
Sir Stonesalot Egyptology----World Party
Goodbye Jumbo----World Party
Sly & The Family Stone Greatest Hits
Black Letter Days---Frank Black

I highly recommend anything by a band you might have heard of....The Rolling Stones.
01-05-03 12:35 AM
JumpinJackFlash How about
The Band
Creedence Clearwater Revival,
Duane Edmonds
Led Belly
Sonny boy williamson
Otis redding
Sam Cooke
Lazy Lester
Just some stuff I ponder all the time.
01-05-03 05:50 AM
JaGgEr The Who
Led Zeppelin
The White Stripes
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Jon spencer blues explosion
Ryan Adams
Lou Reed
Black crowes
The hives
The clash
The Ramones
01-05-03 06:08 AM
F505 Wynton Marsalis -Black codes from the underground
Joshua Redman - Moodswing
R.E.M. - New adventures in Hi-Fi
Patti Smith - Gone again
Luther Allison - Live in Paris
McCoy Tiner - The real McCoy
Johnny Cash - American III: solitary man

01-05-03 11:45 AM
L&A Other music ? Try French (or Belgians):

- Noir D�sir
- Arno
- Jacques Dutronc (l'int�grale)
- Serge Gainsbourg (l'homme � la t�te de chou)
- Alain Bashung
- Charl�lie Couture
... and many others
01-05-03 12:27 PM
Nasty Habits Any band that involves Thee Wild Billy Childish.

01-05-03 12:31 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Hey, it's nice to see all those proposal for "other music" can anybody upload or link some audio samples?
01-05-03 01:48 PM
justforyou Peter Tosh: Live & Dangerous - Boston 1976

------------------------------------------
Gimme back me gold, me ruby and me diamond
01-06-03 04:13 AM
Dr. Frankenstone ~Johnny Winter
~Lee Perry
~Bob Dylan
~Black Sabbath
~Hermans Hermits
~The Clash
~Culture
~Supergrass
~Don Ho
~Little Walter
~Charlatans UK
~The Dillards
~Al Greene
~U-Roy
~Glen Campbell
01-06-03 07:00 AM
bez85 1. Rory Gallagher
2. Shane MacGowan
3. The Pretty Things
4. Lindisfarne
5. Stone The Crows
6. Roy Harper
7. Kevin Coyne ( he's fucking brilliant)
8. Frank Black and the Catholics
9. Chester Burnette ( The Wolf )
10. Ronnie Lane
Page: 1 2