ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bell Center - January 8, 2003
Ryan Remiorz - AP Photo/Canadian Press
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Other Music Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-02-03 07:48 PM
sasca I want to expand my horizons. Suggest a few CDs which I ought to have.
I suggest: 'Moon Safari' - Air
'The Madcap Laughs' - Syd Barrett
'In Vogue' - Francoise Hardy
'Musique de la Gr�ce Antique' - various;
Atrium Musicae de Madrid.
'The Masterpieces of Ancient Pagan Music (Byzantine Secular Classical Music)' - various;
Christodoulos Halaris
01-02-03 08:16 PM
Nasty Habits Mississippi John Hurt - 1928 Sessions
The Best of the Memphis Jug Band
Skip Spence - Oar
Big Star - Sister Lovers
Charles Mingus - At Antibes
Holy Modal Rounders - I Make a Wish for a Potato
Stud Cole - Burn Baby Burn
Charles Wright and the 110th St. Watts Rhythm Band - Express Yourself: The Best of Charles Wright
Louis Jordan - No Moe!
White Country Blues, 1926-1938: A Lighter Shade Of Blue
01-02-03 09:38 PM
gypsymofo60 Been doin' just this very thing over Yule tide, 'You Don't Know The Trouble I've Seen'- Leadbelly......Some generic Muddy Waters anthology of early songs, taped it forgot the title.....'Disreali Gears'- Cream.....Stanley Clarke- "Bassic Collction"....'Nothing Is Safe'- Alice In Chains.
01-03-03 04:09 PM
Honky Tonker John Coltrane "A Love Supreme"
Beatles "Rubber Soul"
Beautiful South "Quench"
Cheap Trick "In Color"
01-03-03 04:23 PM
Soul Survivor KISS - KISS

Now I know theres a lot of KISS bashers here, but listen to KISS's debut album. Good rock. Nowhere as good as the stones, but nowhere as bad as people make them out to be
01-03-03 04:42 PM
purrcafe So Alone - Johnny Thunders
Anything by Fela Kuti
Bomber - Motorhead
The Complete Recordings - Robert Johnson
01-03-03 04:51 PM
Scottfree Lou Reed---Set the twighlight Reeling
01-03-03 04:54 PM
sasca Thanks, everyone. Welcome, purrcafe.
01-03-03 05:09 PM
lotsajizz NY Dolls, Too Much Too Soon (the second album)
Velvet Underground (the third album)
The Muddy Waters Chess Collection (a double disk set)
Jerry Lee Lewis Greatest Hits (double)
The Buzzcocks, Singles Going Steady
01-03-03 05:30 PM
F505 Most of Miles Davis records!
01-03-03 05:33 PM
Moonisup all the George thorogood cd's
best of- Shirley Bassey
Bo diddley
many blues cd's
01-03-03 05:40 PM
Nasty Habits The Left Reverend Eugene McDaniels - Headless Heroes of the Apocalypse

Sir Douglas Quintet - Return of Doug Salda�a/1+1+1 = 4
[Edited by Nasty Habits]
01-03-03 05:43 PM
stewed & Keefed Tom Waits
Captain Beefheart
Edgar Broughton Band
01-03-03 05:49 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:

Edgar Broughton Band

I love these guys!

Wasa Wasa!

01-03-03 05:54 PM
stewed & Keefed Wow I'm not the only one.You must be from England. Sing brother sing
[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
01-03-03 05:58 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy The Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat
George Harrison - Brainwashed
The Faces - Long Player, A Nod's As Good As A Wink... To A Blind Horse, First Step
The Jeff Beck Group - Truth
The Clash - London Calling
Robert Johnson - The Complete Recordings. I got a nice box set off of Amazon with essays by Eric Clapton and Keith and a comprehensive history. Very nice.
The Who - Live At Leeds (Deluxe Edition), The Who Sings My Generation (Deluxe Edition), Quadrophenia
Paul McCartney - Driving Rain

Lots of other good suggestions 'round here too. Any generic Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf stuff'll round you out nicely.

-tSYX --- London calling...
01-03-03 05:59 PM
Nasty Habits Actually, Wasa Wasa is the only album I've heard. It's amazing - some kind of unholy union of Captain Beefheart and Black Sabbath. Definitely one of my favorite guitar drenched Britpsych noisy ass obscuro namedrops.

01-03-03 06:04 PM
stewed & Keefed If you wan't a copy of Sing Brother Sing let me Know and I will burn you a copy.
01-03-03 07:04 PM
stewed & Keefed Just read that you own a record store,So you could get the cd anyway?
01-03-03 08:04 PM
Gazza All of Johnny Cash's "American Recordings" series ( 4 cd's ) including the brand new one "Tha Man Comes Around"

By The Way - Red Hot Chili Peppers
Lodger - Bowie (an overlooked gem)
Land - Patti Smith
almost anything by Tom Waits
Love & Danger - Joe Ely
almost anything by Warren Zevon
Dusty in Memphis - Dusty Springfield
Al Green
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis
01-03-03 08:35 PM
stonedinaustralia sasca you seem like some-one with fairly broad taste and knonwledge as it is - 'Musique de la Gr�ce Antique' - various; wow!!

some of the following may be familiar to you - maybe not - but you should at least hear if not necesarily take to your heart soem of the following antipodeian sounds

nick cave from the birthday party onwards - one of australia's greatest artists in any field at any time

"radios appear" - radio birdman and "i'm stranded" - the saints

and these - a little more obscure -

"magic box" - the loved ones - anarchic and outrageous (in a way working from the same blue-print as the birthday party) but in a muted '60's fashion - before everybody let it all hang out in '70's

"sex,dope,rock and roll - teenage heaven" - daddy cool

"pub with no beer" - slim dusty

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
01-03-03 09:12 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:
KISS - KISS

Now I know theres a lot of KISS bashers here, but listen to KISS's debut album. Good rock. Nowhere as good as the stones, but nowhere as bad as people make them out to be

I hear ya Soulie! The debut was the best album, and I don't care who slags me over it, it's a damn good,(I said good, not great), album. Nothin' To Lose kicks arse!
01-03-03 09:17 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
sasca you seem like some-one with fairly broad taste and knonwledge as it is - 'Musique de la Gr�ce Antique' - various; wow!!

some of the following may be familiar to you - maybe not - but you should at least hear if not necesarily take to your heart soem of the following antipodeian sounds

nick cave from the birthday party onwards - one of australia's greatest artists in any field at any time

"radios appear" - radio birdman and "i'm stranded" - the saints

and these - a little more obscure -

"magic box" - the loved ones - anarchic and outrageous (in a way working from the same blue-print as the birthday party) but in a muted '60's fashion - before everybody let it all hang out in '70's

"sex,dope,rock and roll - teenage heaven" - daddy cool

"pub with no beer" - slim dusty

ARE YOU TAKING THE PISS STONEY?......Slim Dusty?????? OOOOHHHHH.....IlovetahaveabeerwivDuncan- IlovetahaveabeerwivDunc....you seem to have imbibed a little more than you should've over New Year.....How about Fastbuck, or Kevin Borich?
01-03-03 09:27 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
ARE YOU TAKING THE PISS STONEY?......Slim Dusty?????? OOOOHHHHH.....IlovetahaveabeerwivDuncan-

no i'm not taking the piss gmf nor am i talking about that dreadful "duncan" song

"pub with no beer" is a classic song not only in terms of country music (australian or any other) - as a song it is masterpiece of existentialist angst (albeit probably unintentionally) - i'd love to hear tom waits do it - perhaps slowed down just a little -slim makes it all a bit "folksy" but at root it's a strong piece of work
01-03-03 09:30 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
I hear ya Soulie! The debut was the best album, and I don't care who slags me over it, it's a damn good,(I said good, not great), album. Nothin' To Lose kicks arse!

And how bout "Duece", and "Black Diamond"? Good stuff
01-03-03 09:43 PM
gypsymofo60 Shit!...Sorry SIA, I thought you were being fascitious, my mistake. I haven't actually listened to that particular song properly, I must admit, I'll check it out. Another great Aussie anthology IMHO is 'Hands Of Time'-The Best Of The Masters Apprentices, and Spiderbait are good stuff too. Soulie, Deuce, Black Diamond,& Cold Gin all good songs, but when I bought that CD you shoulda seen the look I got from the sales assistant, like I was buying Engelbert Humperdink or something.
01-03-03 10:05 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Soulie, Deuce, Black Diamond,& Cold Gin all good songs, but when I bought that CD you shoulda seen the look I got from the sales assistant, like I was buying Engelbert Humperdink or something.

I got that look when I bought "Sticky Fingers"
01-03-03 10:09 PM
stonedinaustralia no worries gmf ' tho i can see how you might have thought so -there is an amusing side to it

agree - spiderbait are good...regurgitator too

a lot of dave graney's stuff is good - EVERYBODY should hear "Rock and Roll is Where I Hide"

01-03-03 10:12 PM
gypsymofo60
quote:
Soul Survivor wrote:

I got that look when I bought "Sticky Fingers"

..Yeah! I gotta line for that look now; "Well I'm very fucking sorry it aint Puff(fucking)Daddy, but do I look like a 15 year old gangbanger?"......Ring it up!
01-03-03 10:21 PM
Soul Survivor Yeah. LOL

The managers and workers of these stores are all about 17 so if you buy something older than about 5 years, they think its fuckin ancient
Page: 1 2