ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Bell Center - January 8, 2003
Ryan Remiorz - AP Photo/Canadian Press
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Alright, Taylorites, here's your chance... Return to archive Page: 1 2
01-02-03 04:52 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy If I was going to buy one solo album by Mick Taylor, which one would it be, and why?

If no answer is satisfactory I might just wind up cruisin' the auctions and looking for 1234, the last Ronnie solo album I don't have. Although reviews of it are rather nasty, they're by reviewers who didn't like Not For Beginners either, and I found quite a few good numbers on that one to enjoy ("Heart, Soul, & Body" coulda made it to Exile as a Keith number, the cover of "Rock'n'Roll Star" is pretty good, good slide, his voice is a little off, though - and then "Whaddya Think", which is his best ballad since "Ooh La La").

So that's your challenge. One good album by our large-and-in-charge mate Micky T.

Who I still believe ate Jimmy Miller during the Goat's Head Soup sessions, as by that time neither Jimmy nor Taylor were at their best, and Mick Taylor had to go from 100 to 400 pounds *somehow*.

-tSYX --- I wish I knew what I know now, when I was younger...
01-02-03 04:57 PM
Moonisup 1 solo album

that woulde It's only rock 'n' roll

mick taylor + special guests MJ, KR, RW, CW, DB, BW and many many more
01-02-03 05:10 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Hahahaha... sorry, Moon, already got that one. And it is one of my favorite Stones albums. Nothing as good as the big five, but still pretty good.

But I don't like "Time Waits For No One". Too much mystic crap, especially in the verses, and it drags on for too long. The chorus is pretty nice, though.

And that's the only song everyone jumps up and down and points at as being Taylor's. He did help on "Till The Next Goodbye", which is the better of the two real 'ballads' on the album.

-tSYX --- Say live and let die... (*bwahhhh bwahhhhhhh*)
01-02-03 05:17 PM
Joey Easy ..............

" Goats Head Soup " !!!!!!
01-02-03 05:41 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:

"Whaddya Think", which is his best ballad since "Ooh La La").

-tSYX --- I wish I knew what I know now, when I was younger...

??????????? Isn't "Oooh La La" Ronnie Lane's song?

Rough Mix. That's an album you need, zyzz. Rough Mix. Innat roight, Joey?

Mick Taylor is one of those guys who you say, "Well, he's a welcome addition to someone else's record." Have never cared for his solo albums myself. The 1977 Mick Taylor album has some lovely playing on it, but songwise it is almost non existant. I'd say buy it on vinyl for five bucks if you had a record player, but spending more than that on it is a dicey proposition. Then again, I'd say the same thing about 1234, so there you go. For more Taylor I personally would go with Dylan's Infidels album (or better yet, Outfidels, the outtake double LP/CD from same) or John Mayall's Blues from Laurel Canyon, which has some rather ripping Taylor.

BTW, my toothless Santa brought me the Special Edition of Brainwashed on Sunday, and I'll be darned if that isn't an OK little record. Jeffy Lynney's production is obnoxious as always, but I haven't been so charmed by Harrison's compositions in a long time -- much nicer than the smarmy Cloud 9 record. Genuinely touching.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
01-02-03 05:56 PM
Joey " Rough Mix. That's an album you need, zyzz. Rough Mix. Innat roight, Joey "

Damn Straight My Brother....................

" Rough Mix " is a masterpiece .....Ronnie L. and Petey Together .............YES !!!!!!!!

J.
01-02-03 06:28 PM
sasca
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

BTW, my toothless Santa brought me the Special Edition of Brainwashed on Sunday, and I'll be darned if that isn't an OK little record. Jeffy Lynney's production is obnoxious as always, but I haven't been so charmed by Harrison's compositions in a long time -- much nicer than the smarmy Cloud 9 record. Genuinely touching.

[Edited by Nasty Habits]

I bought it for my mother for Christmas - the more I listen to it, the more I like it. The lyrics are sometimes a bit weak but the melodies are lovely (and I like the production.)
I�m glad he never lost his faith - it isn�t mine but I can admire it and be moved that it shines through his last songs as pure as it was 35 years ago.
[Edited by sasca]
[Edited by sasca]
01-02-03 06:29 PM
T&A Savage:

There's really only two solo MT albums to pick from - and they're both fine and dandy, IMO. Not a bum track on either studio solo. His finest solo - ever - I believe, however, can be found on his live collaboration with Carla Olson from 1990 - Sway, with Mac on keyboards....if that solo don't give you goosebumps - then you're just plain dead.

Regarding 1234 - I tried to hunt down a cheap copy via EBAY, etc. for several months - couldn't find it for less than $40. Finally, some kind soul from Australia burned me a copy from an OOP Japanese CD. send me an email - [email protected] with your mailing info and I'll be happy to weed you a copy. It's his best solo album (heresy, I know), IMHFO. Don't give me that ol' 1, 2, 1, 2, 3, 4....
[Edited by T&A]
[Edited by T&A]
01-02-03 06:35 PM
sammy davis jr. Get 1234.....Consistently a better record than Taylor's best, which was his self-titled first one. 1234 is a really good record IMO. Great party songs. Sloppy as most Ronnie records are, but more of a Stonesy tight-sloppy, and the tunes are good. I used to put it on at parties and people would always say "who's this? It really rocks." I think it's his best album front to back...I just wish I could find a CD version of it since I haven't had a turntable since about fifteen years ago. Anyone got a copy?
01-02-03 06:57 PM
T&A Sammy - shoot me an email per the post above yours...
01-03-03 04:37 AM
woodywoodpecker Hey Tod,
that kind ol' soul from Australia was ME!!!!!
I hope you are enjoying it!

Hey Savage your a Woody nut like me drop me an e-mail I will do you a copy. Be warned though its nothin on Not for Beginners.

Woodpecker
01-03-03 06:10 AM
beer I got a Taylor solo album titled "Stranger In This Town" Live in '89.
The tracklist is:
1-Stranger in this town
2-I Wonder Why
3-Laundromat Blues
4-Redhouse Goin Down Slow
5-Jumpin Jack Flash
6-Little Red Rooster
7-Goin South
8-You Gotta Move

His guitar playing is absolutely amazing, his singing actually aint that bad.

Another thing. I don't want Mick Taylor to play with the Stones again because I have something against Ronnie. No Way!! I have nothing but respect for Ronnie. I want Taylor to play with the Stones again for the simple fact that it is a celebration of 40 years as the best R-n-R band in the world. And Taylor DESERVES to be a part of that, even if he did quit. So what. He was probably totally justified to to quit, and/or tell Jagger/Richards to fuck off.

I for one would love to hear his solo in "Love In Vain", or The amazing slide stuff in "All Down The Line" or the countless other contributions Taylor brought to this band.

The bottom line is: It's not a question of Taylor versus Wood. It's the fact that Taylor should play with them again to celebrate what they created.
Brian can't. Stu can't.
01-03-03 09:58 AM
F505 TSYX wrote:
But I don't like "Time Waits For No One". Too much mystic crap, especially in the verses, and it drags on for too long. The chorus is pretty nice, though.

Please!!!! You must be the only one on this board who don't like one of the greatest song in history of rock and roll!!! And by the way: the lines are not mistic but very clear: time can tear down a building or destroy a woman's face. It's a very melancholic song but certainly not mistic...
01-03-03 01:36 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
F505 wrote:
Please!!!! You must be the only one on this board who don't like one of the greatest song in history of rock and roll!!! And by the way: the lines are not mistic but very clear: time can tear down a building or destroy a woman's face. It's a very melancholic song but certainly not mistic...

Ahem...

"Yes, star crossed in pleasure the stream flows on by,
Yes, as we're sated in leisure, we watch it fly..."

And again...

"Men, they build towers to their passing yes, to their fame everlasting,
Here he comes chopping and reaping, hear him laugh at their cheating..."

And again...

"Drink in your summer, gather your corn ,
The dreams of the night time will vanish by dawn..."

Paging Mystic Dr. Taylor... Mystic Dr. Taylor, please come to the Bad Karma Trauma Ward... if that ain't mystic crap, then what is? It sounds like something outta Satanic Majesties.

Oh, T&A, I e-mailed you. Thanks, man! Woody, thanks for the offer, but I don't want to force you to send stuff halfway 'round the world & so forth - it'll be a second generation copy of yours.

-tSYX --- I can say she's all right...
01-03-03 01:50 PM
Nasty Habits Hi zyzz, how's tricks?

I agree that "Time Waits for No One" is the most overrated track on It's Only R&R. But I do love the line "Drink in your summer, gather your corn." I think it's weird, cryptic, mysterious and cool and I love the way Jagger sings it. Much worse is, "Time can tear down a building or destroy a woman's face".

01-03-03 02:11 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Hi zyzz, how's tricks?

I agree that "Time Waits for No One" is the most overrated track on It's Only R&R. But I do love the line "Drink in your summer, gather your corn." I think it's weird, cryptic, mysterious and cool and I love the way Jagger sings it. Much worse is, "Time can tear down a building or destroy a woman's face".

Not bad, Nasty. Too much work over vacation that I've put off until the last minute. Yourself?

Yeah, I just don't see what people like in "Time Waits". It meanders kinda aimlessly, it doesn't do anything. It's boring. It's so technical and overtly a Taylor showcase that it doesn't do anything interesting.

Back to plowing through endless reams of Nixon and Khrushchev...

-tSYX --- Nevah gonna never gonna turn ya loose, now...
01-03-03 02:23 PM
Nasty Habits Going completely nuts, expanding the business to a second floor, wherein the alleged "internet" portion of the whole thing can "take off". Which may ultimately result in me doing away with or selling off the retail portion of the store completely. Absolute craziness, but if I stay behind that counter for many more hours I think I might end up killing somebody.

01-03-03 02:34 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Going completely nuts, expanding the business to a second floor, wherein the alleged "internet" portion of the whole thing can "take off". Which may ultimately result in me doing away with or selling off the retail portion of the store completely. Absolute craziness, but if I stay behind that counter for many more hours I think I might end up killing somebody.

Flood the store stereo system with "Back To Zero" and "Winning Ugly". Then no one will want to come in and you can lounge around. Just make sure you have sound-proof headphones on with something good on like Let It Bleed.

Mmmm.... Let It Bleed. I'm going to fetch my CD player and put that one on.

-tSYX --- War, children...
01-03-03 02:48 PM
Nasty Habits Like I don't play Dirty Work all the time in the store anyway.

01-03-03 02:50 PM
shakedhandswithkeith dirty work is really good, I hope they will once start their shows with One Hit to the body
01-03-03 03:12 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Like I don't play Dirty Work all the time in the store anyway.

Good thing you're moving into the Internet, then!

Naw, only kiddin'. But still, arggh! By the time the Stones were finally showing up in Boston the radio stations had run out of things to play and one of them played, in sequence, "Memo From Turner" (scraping the bottom), "Emotional Rescue" (hitting the bottom), and "Winning Ugly" (jackhammering through the bottom).

Horrifying. Luckily, that was on the 4th (I had to go to school the day after for some student government thing), so I walked in and collapsed at the table, and one of the guys looked at me and said "You saw the Stones last night. How were they?" I said "Great... oh, God, I'm so wasted..." and everyone burst out laughing. I looked it, too... bags under my eyes, raspy voice and bloodshot eyes from sitting between the chain smokers and the Boston University Chibaphonic Orchestra then yelling my lungs out during "Rocks Off".

Now that'd be good to do for your store... put on a little Exile, mix up a Keith Richards Special (drink down one bottle vodka until capable of adding one 8 oz. bottle of Sunkist, mix well) and yell "Gimme a cheeseburger!" to anyone who walked in. Then fall asleep at the counter in woolen undergarments with a gun by your side.

And yeah, starting up with "One Hit" might be cool. That's the only song on Dirty Work that I'd really say is a good song. "Had It With You" comes close, but "One Hit" really takes it. Ronnie saved "One Hit"... they couldn't figure out how to get it right, and he just sat down with his accoustic and started it up... then, outta nowhere... tremendous explosion of guitars!

-tSYX --- The hand of fate, is on me now, it pick me up and it knock me down...
01-03-03 03:20 PM
jb Anyone who does not love TWFNO is really not a fan IMHO. This is the embodiment of the MT years and displays the grace and beauty of the best guitarist the Stones ever had.
01-03-03 03:33 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
jb wrote:
Anyone who does not love TWFNO is really not a fan IMHO. This is the embodiment of the MT years and displays the grace and beauty of the best guitarist the Stones ever had.

You heard it here first, Rocks Offers!

Nasty Habits. Not a fan of the Rolling Stones.

01-03-03 03:34 PM
jb You got it Pal....
01-03-03 03:38 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
jb wrote:
Anyone who does not love TWFNO is really not a fan IMHO. This is the embodiment of the MT years and displays the grace and beauty of the best guitarist the Stones ever had.

The embodiment of the Mick Taylor years is defined by an album called Sticky Fingers and in concert recordings from 1969-1973. By the time It's Only Rock and Roll was released the Stones were ready for a new guitar player and Taylor had withdrawn from the band.

"I used to have to ask Mick and Keith: 'Tell that guy not to play there!'" - Jimmy Miller. Also not a fan of the Stones.

01-03-03 03:44 PM
sasca Can anyone recommend somewhere where Jimmy Miller talks at length about the Stones?
01-03-03 03:45 PM
jb I am not going to get into an argument over this..you are entitled to your opinion..but I trust most would agree that TWFNO is a classic..of course , I am sure TSXY will support your position.
01-03-03 03:51 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
jb wrote:
I am not going to get into an argument over this..you are entitled to your opinion..but I trust most would agree that TWFNO is a classic..of course , I am sure TSXY will support your position.

Gee, thanks for allowing me to have my opinion, Josh. As usual, I will buck the majority if my ears and mind tell me something different. As will the zizz. Who, by the way, said some rude things about a song I rate very highly, "Memo from Turner", and disagrees with my opinion of albums as diverse as "Black and Blue" and my beloved "Dirty Work". Although we disagree, the last thing I will accuse him of is not loving the Stones. Don't challenge my devotion to this band again.

01-03-03 03:53 PM
~AzQb

JoshinEsq.!

Personally...that tune of Taylor's IS gorgeous, no matter what the naysayers assert.

Im with ya on this one ; ) and i've waited forever to say that!

~
01-03-03 03:54 PM
jb No wonder you and TSXY are friends..same modus operandi...
Page: 1 2