ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1965 Michael Ochs
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: the ipod: anyone NOT have one? worth it? Return to archive Page: 1 2
29th December 2006 02:27 PM
PartyDoll MEG Gotta agree with SS.... My old iPod(the so-called crappy 1st version) battery finally stopped holding it's charge and so it now sits in my iPod alarm clock to wake me up every morning and I've a new 30GB one. Road trips, travelling, and exercising would be impossible for me without my iPod.

Yes, it is too expensive....but so so easy to listen to anything in your collection with a few clicks on the pad...(Just imagine having all your best Rolling Stones, Bob, and Bruce in one place and not having to search the numerous CD spindles or numerous CD holders to find them)

I do think Gates and the competition are finally starting to come up with something to compete with the iPod, but the prices of these new products are just as bad. Me, I'll stick with what I am comfortable. Besides... iTunes Music Library is the easiest I've ever worked with on a computer.

Can't speak to the video or podcast aspects, because I've filled most of my iPod with what is important to me....music.

But, hey...do whatever makes you most comfortable
29th December 2006 03:08 PM
56DeSoto I've just gotten into using my Palm TX as a music machine. It holds removable SD cards so I can load them up with as much music as I like. I love everything else the Palm can do (it's got Wi-Fi for internet access, games, handwriting, portable Office documents, etc.) and it costs less than the 80 GB iPod. I got an FM transmitter for my car so I can listen to my tunes on the road now. It's fun! I've been eying the Creative Zen Nano 1GB, too, as a tiny portable MP3 machine that would also work with my FM transmitter. The more music, the merrier...
29th December 2006 04:14 PM
_Boomy_ I love my 30 GB iPod.

The shuffle option is tremendous. It's like having a jukebox in your pocket.
30th December 2006 07:06 AM
White House Lawn "I'll also say this...the earbuds that Apple includes with the thing...they suck hard. Spend a few extra bucks on some really good, in ear, headphones. "

I recently bought one of the updated 80GB models and the buds that are included are a lot nicer than in the past--I still have an extra pair of in-ear ones, though.

Shuffling is the greatest, especially if you have eclectic tastes in music--I love it when I get say, a vintage Bing Crosby tune followed by The Ramones!

If anyone here is into podcasts, check out mine when you have the time:

http://web.mac.com/waynealanharold/iWeb/Site/Podcast/Podcast.html

You don't even HAVE to have an iPod to listen in--it's also playable right in your web browser!
[Edited by White House Lawn]
30th December 2006 03:24 PM
Nasty Habits I am convinced that my Ipod is a genius. The segs it comes up with on shuffle are sometimes jaw dropping.

As a hard core vinyl junkie who resisted the CD revolution so hard I made a career out of it, I must admit I love my Ipod and my Itunes. I finally believe the whole digital convenience argument. I was never convinced that an entire album, played in sequence was better than album sides, but 10+ days of uninterrupted, unrepeated music is a concept I can fully get behind.

Of course ripping vinyl remains a bear - you gotta turn it digital, then convert it to MP3, then run it through Audacity or Protools to remove the dead space at the beginning and end of the tracks, then process the digital photo, and then you can listen to it . . .

But loading tunes into the damn thing is a fun and active way of interacting with your music collection if you chose to go that route. Overall, a marvellous bit of technology.

30th December 2006 03:51 PM
Honky Tonk Man I got a Phillips MP3 player for christmas (The Apple versions are a little too delicate for somone as clumsy as me!) and in all honesty, after my initial excitrement, I haven't really bothered with it. I think I've all put 20 tracks on. All by the Stones!
30th December 2006 03:55 PM
chevysales got 3 80gb nano for my kids and me.

rip all music at 320mp3 which is cd quality not that crappy apple 128aaf. but you won't fit the number of songs apple claims as they base songs on 128 which is horrid to my ears.

best software out there for organizing music.

newest generation batteries will last longer than previous ones but that is still the downside although by then new generation is out and ebay the old one.

go for it...

30th December 2006 04:20 PM
Nasty Habits Agreed on 320 vs 120, although I can get by on 192 for car/knocking around the house. Would never rip a CD off something that wasn't at least 220 though. Still would rather listen to a record when I'm really listening. Modern Times vinyl vs. Modern Times CD was all the proof I needed this year that wax still contains the most facts.

30th December 2006 04:26 PM
pdog
quote:
_Boomy_ wrote:
It's like having a jukebox in your pocket.

You should copyright that phrase!
30th December 2006 04:45 PM
cabledogg2 Sir Stonesalot wrote : As for durability...I have had mine for 3 years now. I use it hard. It's been dropped, sat on, bumped and jostled in all sorts of ways. I have not had a single problem with it. My battery still holds a charge well.

While i don't own one i had the pleasure of stepping on my daughters last week and shattering the screen. This ended up costing me a couple hundred bucks to retify!!
[Edited by cabledogg2]
30th December 2006 06:07 PM
Bitch This is good info, I have a $200 gift card at BestBuy. What does anyone suggest, the video Ipod? Which is the best one to buy?
30th December 2006 11:40 PM
Sir Stonesalot Bitch, I really like iTunes. It is wonderful music management software, very easy to use. iTunes goes with iPod. My buddy got a 30G video iPod...and now I'm gonna have to have one of those, except I'll probably go with the 80G. I would think most normal people can make due with a 30G though.

You may have to put some extra $ with that gift card though. They ain't cheap.
31st December 2006 12:04 AM
BabiKeef Not interested in a ipod
31st December 2006 07:34 AM
glencar I have the 30 Gig one. I have yet to start it up yet but I'm fixing to do so by the next weekend.
31st December 2006 08:05 AM
chevysales
quote:
Bitch wrote:
This is good info, I have a $200 gift card at BestBuy. What does anyone suggest, the video Ipod? Which is the best one to buy?

nano!!!!! 4 or 8gbs depending on if 300 songs is enough or 600 songs. i come from the school of thought it takes 5 minutes to change up the contents so i don't mind doing that.

i like the in the ear headphones... great little toy for the beach... never liked headphones but the ear peice doesn't fit the same for all so your mileage may vary.

small guy who likes small things... while the video is cool if your comp isn't a recent model converting/making videos can be time consuming. i use quicktime pro most of the time for that.

but i am not big on videos via phones or any small screens so that rules out there larger one.

nano!!!

best buy had gift cards last week for $20 on ipods. so you bought your ipod for $199 or more... got an immediate gift card which you used to make separate purchase for wall charger which is a neccessity.

your not always near a computer to charge that sucker... so apple gets another $29 having you buy a wall charger.

you'll like it amazing piece of hardware and thier software once setup properly organize's better than anything i have ever used.

our library in town has many books on audio which you can't get for 2 weeks time on your ipod... but my wife and kids do the audio books a lot.

both at college with these ipods is another story as itunes allows your playlists to be shared on the network so the diversity of the music choice one has is just mind boggling.

apple also has a great support site for itunes and ipods... sure beats 1-800-calldad

ipod/itunes 101
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod101/

btw happy new year to all.

[Edited by chevysales]
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)