ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1965 Michael Ochs
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: the ipod: anyone NOT have one? worth it? Return to archive Page: 1 2
28th December 2006 06:22 PM
texile EVERYBODY seems to have an ipod...
not me, but i am wondering if i should give in to the hype and invest.
the problem i have with the the whole concept of the ipod is the people pushing it on me...you know the type, the casual "rock" fan who has to own 10,000 songs....
they don't know shit about music but they now have a billion songs on thier ipod.

i know most in the stones family are serious music fans and that's why im asking you guys..
is it worth it?
i thought about having an ipod for all my stones....so it would be a stones ipod -
what do you guys think?
28th December 2006 06:32 PM
CraigP I'm a serious music fan and I still don't own one.

I know the exact way you feel. I still use a diskman. I feel alienated.
28th December 2006 06:44 PM
glencar I bought one several months ago & have yet to start using it.
28th December 2006 06:45 PM
Dan I don't own one. Would kinda like to get one but it's not really a priority. Up until earlier this year I was still using a cassette walkman! And I will get another the next time I see one for a dollar at a yard sale.
28th December 2006 06:54 PM
macman Im a serious music fan and thought the same about the ipod craze! I thought what a waste of time and who the hell listens to mp3s/lossy crap anyway! Well long story short I got ahold of my 21 year old daughter's a few months back (she has a great taste in music, cant figure where she got that from) and was blown away by its portability and sound quality.
Recently I purchased an 80 gig model and have loaded ALL Stones official LPs, plus best Studio Outtakes CDs as well as ALL Dylan official plus best Studio Outtakes and about 150 or so of my most favorite CDs (Faces, Small Faces, Ronnie Lane (God Bless Him), Wolf, Jimmy Reed, Drive-By Truckers, Frank Black, Leon Russell, Jesse Ed Davis, literally hundreds of cds) My regular rotation of tunes now travels with me everywhere I go. I think I have about 220 cds on it all together as Apple has there own brand of FLAC type file called 'Apple Lossless" which allows you to save tracks without degrading the quality.......Ive got about 15 gigs free and have just started playing around with the video stuff. Just loaded the 8182 D-Stone DVD to it which was seeded here recently...Thanks again to the Seeders that jumped on for that this past weekend

Go for it I say
28th December 2006 07:03 PM
texile thanks macman,
i think i was looking for confirmation from a real music fan.....
i like the idea of being able to carry an entire stones catalogue everywhere i go.
but which one?
28th December 2006 07:04 PM
glencar "Ive got about 15 gigs free and have just started playing around with the video stuff. Just loaded the 8182 D-Stone DVD to it which was seeded here recently...Thanks again to the Seeders that jumped on for that this past weekend"

To what does this refer?
28th December 2006 07:07 PM
glencar "Ive got about 15 gigs free and have just started playing around with the video stuff. Just loaded the 8182 D-Stone DVD to it which was seeded here recently...Thanks again to the Seeders that jumped on for that this past weekend"

To what does this refer?
28th December 2006 07:11 PM
BONOISLOVE
28th December 2006 07:18 PM
fireontheplatter keith richards doesn't own on so why should you.

everybody say ow
28th December 2006 07:29 PM
Phog I've been thinking about getting one lately. Still not sure, but I might nab one soon.
28th December 2006 09:42 PM
vox12string The only time I would use one is travelling in the van, but then I've got tons of cds & there's always the radio, I tend to listen to classical music when on the road. When I'm walking around I like to listen to what's around me & given that I live in the country that's usually the birds.

Haven't got one & have no need for one
28th December 2006 09:51 PM
Lazy Bones the best use I get out of mine is at the cottage.

its a convenient way to accumulate several hundred songs for a short period of time were space is minimal - ie. you don't need to pack a mini stereo and a box of cds - and the sound quality is not observed for the experience.
28th December 2006 10:43 PM
Nellcote True Story.
Got my son one for his birthday a few years ago.
One night, Captain Morgan & I were discussing world affairs.
He leaves, the ipod breaks, mysteriously.
Service plan saves the day.
My son upgrades to the video model.
We have now reached the fourth time which it is in for new hard drive replacement in a year.
We get a gift card worth it's value in 14 days.
Never again.
28th December 2006 11:03 PM
Joey
quote:

Phog wrote:
I've been thinking about getting one lately. Still not sure, but I might nab one soon.

Pete Townshend states that ipods are very bad for your ears .......... Accordingly , I shall NOT buy one .
29th December 2006 12:01 AM
Steamboat Bill, Jr. I don't have one. Then again, I don't even have a cell phone. In fact, our house doesn't even have a computer, I have to go to the library or friends' houses for the internet.
29th December 2006 02:12 AM
White House Lawn "True Story.
Got my son one for his birthday a few years ago.
One night, Captain Morgan & I were discussing world affairs.
He leaves, the ipod breaks, mysteriously.
Service plan saves the day.
My son upgrades to the video model.
We have now reached the fourth time which it is in for new hard drive replacement in a year.
We get a gift card worth it's value in 14 days.
Never again."

Sorry to hear that. I've had four different models of the main (large) iPod and I've never had one problem with ANY of them.

I have three sets of dockable speakers at various locations in the house, also iTunes on the computer and an iTunes FM transmitter in the car. I can't imagine EVER going back to CDs.

Who cares about annoying fucks bragging about how many songs THEY have on their iPod--it's YOUR music that matters and you can carry all of it with you at all times!

They're beautifully designed devices.
[Edited by White House Lawn]
29th December 2006 02:27 AM
Egbert I have a Creative Zen, which gives you the option of ripping your tunes in a quality range from the standard MP3 128 kbps up to 320 kbps. I rip mine at 192 kbps, which of course is not "lossless", but when commuting on the noisy subway (the only time I use the player) I hear very little difference in sound quality between the MP3 player and my old portable CD player. In a quiet environment the difference may be more discernable, but for the commute it's fine.

Bottom line is, if I got around by car equipped with a CD player/radio I wouldn't have enough use for an MP3 player to justify the purchase.

[Edited by Egbert]
29th December 2006 02:36 AM
CraigP 192 kbps not lossless. 320 is only cd quality.

If your car has a tape player you can hook Ipod that.
[Edited by CraigP]
29th December 2006 02:42 AM
Egbert Yeah, 192 kbps is nowhere near lossless, but better than 128. I'm pretty sure that for the MP3 format, CD quality (such as a WAV file) would be over 1000 kbps.
29th December 2006 03:27 AM
egon i have the 60g.
it's great, but too expensive
i bought it in singapore for 300 euro.
100 euro cheaper than a store in europe, but still;
in the end it's just a fucking walkman.
so you might wanna check out some other brands too.

THERE; my last opinion of 2006.
Now it's time to start drinking!
29th December 2006 06:25 AM
sj If getting an IPOD mini, consider the "MEIZU 4GB" units sold on ebay. Real cheap on ebay.com.au.

They play FLAC (lossless compression) and DIVX stuff too on the 320x240 screen. Not a chance the Apple unit can do that.
29th December 2006 08:05 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
Joey wrote:

Pete Townshend states that ipods are very bad for your ears .......... Accordingly , I shall NOT buy one .

he also stated that the internet gets you into all kinds of trouble...
29th December 2006 08:06 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
egon wrote:
THERE; my last opinion of 2006.
Now it's time to start drinking!

it's still Christmas holidays...why did you stop?
29th December 2006 08:51 AM
kovach Got a Creative Labs MP3 player, 40 GB. Got 10,000+ songs on it. Took me a month to load it and burned out a hard drive, but it's nice to know you can take your entire music collection with you in the palm of your hand.

I decided against the iPod since I don't think they play WMA files. WMA sounds better to me at less than 128 kbps (I did 96 kbps to increase how much I could get on mine; it's about 75% full). The competitors are also a bit cheaper.

You certainly get a lot more accessories to choose from though with the iPod!

29th December 2006 09:24 AM
Gazza
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
keith richards doesn't own on so why should you.

well he doesnt use the internet either and has stated something along the lines of "why should I give a fuck what some idiots behind a computer think about me" - yet it still doesnt stop us....

That said...I still havent felt the need for an ipod.

Yet.
[Edited by Gazza]
29th December 2006 09:49 AM
Jumping Jack No IPOD, no cell phone, no time, but a shitload of CDs and DVDs I never have time for.

The DVD of the greatest Who show in recent times just shipped yesterday! The Thanksgiving show was no turkey!!!
29th December 2006 10:01 AM
gimmekeef If you spend as much time in airports as I do...they are a great device.I bought an IRiver 20 gig and love it.Even records voice and music with built in mic.I hate the fact ITunes and WMA/Mp3 are all not compatible and thats bs between Apple and Gates...Its lossy formats but still sounds better than the ballin kid who always gets a seat on the plane near me!
29th December 2006 11:59 AM
egon
quote:
Lazy Bones wrote:

it's still Christmas holidays...why did you stop?

I' m a man; i can not do 2 things at the same time!
29th December 2006 01:52 PM
Sir Stonesalot Let me start off by saying that I absolutely HATED the idea of getting an iPod. My parents got me a 40G music iPod about 3 Xmas's ago. I let the thing sit in a box for 3 months...didn't wanna have anything to do with it.

Then one day I got bored and got the thing out. I started to put stuff on it.

When I realized that I had something the size of a cigarette pack that could hold 15,000 of my fave songs...and that I could save the wear and tear on my Cds and CDRs...it dawned on me that this was a sort of freedom. No matter where I was, or what mood I was in, if there was a particular song or album that I wanted to hear...I could fuckin' hear it. I no longer had to stand in front of my wall of music and try to figure out what I was gonna want to hear on the way home from a show...or even 10 minutes from then. I have it with me. I hit shuffle, and the thing becomes my personal jukebox...and it only plays songs that I like...and it'll play for a month without repeating a song! For long car rides...I'm my own radio DJ. No commercials, no stupid between song banter...just song after song after song. And if I get a hankerin' to hear something specific...a couple of clicks and there it is, wafting from my speakers. I can create playlists for any situation, any party, or just for the fun of it...in just minutes.

Now, I'll say this...it helps if you have a large music collection. I have not had do download a single thing from the iTunes store. I mean, I have over 12,000 CDs and CDRs...and I usually buy 5-10 new things a month, depending on how much extra cash I have on hand. I still enjoy shopping for music...and I still like having the artifact of a CD or a vinyl album. If I had to spend 99 cents a song to load mine up, I don't think it would be as worth it. But since I don't have to do that...it's easy and well worth having.

For someone like me, the iPod was a godsend. The freedom that it allows me is almost like a mini-miracle. I can't imagine NOT having one. Not having an iPod isn't an option for me...not anymore. When mine finally dies, I will get one of those 80G video iPods. I once was blind, but now I see...

As for durability...I have had mine for 3 years now. I use it hard. It's been dropped, sat on, bumped and jostled in all sorts of ways. I have not had a single problem with it. My battery still holds a charge well.

I'll also say this...the earbuds that Apple includes with the thing...they suck hard. Spend a few extra bucks on some really good, in ear, headphones. It upgrades the sound quality tremendously. A friend of mine just got a video iPod for Xmas. He was saying that he was disappointed with the sound quality. I plugged my Phillips in-ears and let him have a listen. When he left my house he was going directly to Radio Shack to get a pair. Your sound quality is limited to whatever you are listening through. I have my dock wired directly into my home stereo...I defy anyone to listen to my iPod through my stereo and tell me that they can tell the difference from a CD in the CD player. So if you use shitty headphones...it will sound shitty. It's common sense.

So anyhow, I highly recommend the iPod to anyone who has a large music collection. The freedom that it brings you is worth every penny.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)