ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1965 Michael Ochs
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: baseball history? Return to archive Page: 1 2
26th December 2006 02:09 PM
Starbuck any baseball fans want to recommend a good book on baseball history?
26th December 2006 03:40 PM
rasputin56 If you're looking for just snapshots in time of baseball history, one of the best out there is Halberstam's "Summer of '49"
26th December 2006 06:20 PM
Lil Brian Here's one that I got for Christmas and can't wait to dig in to. Now all I need is the time!

"The Echoing Green" by Joshua Prager

-The Untold Story of Bobby Thompson, Ralph Branca and the Shot Heard Round the World

Synopsis
The 1951 regular season was as good as over. The Brooklyn Dodgers led the New York Giants by three runs with just three outs to go in their third and final playoff game. And not once in major league baseball’s 278 preceding playoff and World Series games had a team overcome a three-run deficit in the ninth inning. But New York rallied, and at 3:58 p.m. on October 3, 1951, Bobby Thomson hit a home run off Ralph Branca. The Giants won the pennant.

The Echoing Green follows the reverberations of that one moment–the Shot Heard Round the World–from the West Wing of the White House to the Sing Sing death house to the Polo Grounds clubhouse, where a home run forever turned hitter and pitcher into hero and goat.

It was also in that centerfield block of concrete that, after the home run, a Giant coach tucked away a Wollensak telescope. The spyglass would remain undiscovered until 2001, when, in the jubilee of that home run, Joshua Prager laid bare on the front page of the Wall Street Journal a Giant secret: from July 20, 1951, through the very day of that legendary game, the orange and black stole the finger signals of opposing catchers.

The Echoing Green places that revelation at the heart of a larger story, re-creating in extravagant detail the 1951 pennant race and illuminating as never before the impact of both a moment and a long-guarded secret on the lives of Bobby Thomson and Ralph Branca.

A wonderfully evocative portrait of the great American pastime, The Echoing Green is baseball history, social history and biography–irresistible reading from any angle.
26th December 2006 08:32 PM
lotsajizz The Baseball Encyclopaedia

Strat-O-Matic-Fanatics
27th December 2006 11:06 AM
Coming Down Again http://www.amazon.com/Hank-Greenberg-Story-My-Life/dp/1892049236/sr=1-2/qid=1167235355/ref=sr_1_2/002-2610918-1585657?ie=UTF8&s=books

Try this one.
If you´ve appreciated Jackie Robinson´s struggle you´ll dig this story of a Jewish man making it into the bigs, using every bit of skill he could muster, and chasing down the Babe for what was the greatest record in sports.
One of my favourite books...
[Edited by Coming Down Again]
27th December 2006 11:21 AM
JuanTCB "Ball Four" by Jim Bouton and "The Wrong Stuff" by Bill Lee are also great reads. Definitely on the lighter side of things, but hilarious and insightful.

Also, "Ted Williams" by Leigh Montville is outstanding - Ted was a total character, as well as the greatest hitter who ever lived. The persona that John Wayne played in all his movies? That was Ted.

Also, if you have access to Ken Burns' "Baseball" miniseries from about 10 years ago, that is a definite must. It's long, but it's really well done and will give you a good overview of both the history of baseball and how it has related to/mirrored American history & society.

If you want to read about individual teams/rivalries, start with the Yankees & Red Sox and the Dodgers & Giants.

Good luck!
27th December 2006 11:54 AM
Starbuck
quote:
Ted was a total character, as well as the greatest hitter who ever lived.

i don't understand why people think this. while certainly amongst the best of the best, no one, but no one, comes close to ty cobb.

27th December 2006 11:59 AM
Throwaway http://www.amazon.ca/Bill-James-Historical-Baseball-Abstract/dp/0743227220/sr=1-14/qid=1167238725/ref=sr_1_14/702-8395985-7017643?ie=UTF8&s=books

It's by Bill James, so it's gotta be pretty good.

Yes Ty is untouchable, in terms of BA, but for all around slugging its hard to argue with the Babe.
27th December 2006 12:01 PM
lotsajizz Cobb had not the power Williams had....not even close...Williams did it an era of better pitchers as well....

you could make an argument that Cobb was a better all-around player however......bright investor too, he sank his salary into the early Coca-Cola Company and became rich.....

mean motherfuckin' racist though

not Ted
27th December 2006 12:09 PM
Nellcote This is THE only baseball history that matters....

My Casey Kasem dedication to all baseball fans everywhere.

There is always hope....and sometimes it comes true...

As Ronnie Van Zant said at the start of Sweet Home Alabama, Turn it up....

http://www.blohards.com/ws.html
27th December 2006 12:54 PM
Taptrick
That's old news now - Boston has already started the count for the next 80 years.

27th December 2006 01:47 PM
Starbuck
quote:
This is THE only baseball history that matters....

spoken like a true east coast sports fan. the entire sport does not revolve around boston and new york, despite what you all think!

sad to say, but for the sport as a whole that was not an exciting series. as a matter of fact, i slept through most of it.

the most exciting world series in the last 25 years have been:

91: twins v braves
01: spanks v diamondbacks
86: mets v bosox

i thought 97 (marlins v indians) was pretty good too. exciting last game. 02 was an exciting result (seven gamer) but i don't remember the games themselves being all that exciting. i was only two, but i think 75 (reds v sox) is probably up there too in terms of excitement.

sadly, most of the series of recent memory have been snoozers. we're due for a good one this year (twins over cubs in 7).
27th December 2006 02:32 PM
nanatod
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
sadly, most of the series of recent memory have been snoozers. we're due for a good one this year (twins over cubs in 7).

The Cubs??!?!?!?! The Cubs!?!?!?!

As Coach Michael Keller Ditka used to say to Chicago Sun-Times sportswriter and future sports radio host Terry Boers, "Who You Crappin?"
27th December 2006 03:03 PM
Starbuck ok fine...

"twins over mets in 7."

happy?
27th December 2006 03:03 PM
sirmoonie Bouton's "Ball Four" was hilarious - I think J-loafer Bowie Kuhn said about it "you have done the game a grave disservice."

But Dock Ellis' "In the Country of Baseball" is what I'd recommend for people who understand the incredible talent and beauty in pitching a no-hitter while tripping on fucking acid. I think you may be one of those people, Starbash. Who understand the incredible talent, I mean. I think that you may be one of the people who see the incredible talent in pitching a no-hitter on fucking acid. That's the kind of people I think you may be.
27th December 2006 04:51 PM
Starbuck david wells pitched a perfect game after an all night drinking binge. certainly that is up there with dock ellis.

elias sports bureau reports that egon pitched a 29 hitter in little league after eating a bad burrito.

hey moonie...did you elf yourself yet?

http://www.elfyourself.com/?userid=8642da84f28a5c352f7bf84G06122622
28th December 2006 01:57 PM
Nellcote Calm down there Bucky!
I see your putting the Twins series right at the top keeps you in the "homer" category also, so we're even.
Towards the Sox, the ALCS in '04 was better, provided more drama, and will show over time to be the achilles heel the Yanks will have trouble shaking. The worst professional loss in a series in over 100 years. No better drama in a seven game series, led by former Twin cast off David Ortiz....
28th December 2006 02:04 PM
patioaintdry Joe DiMaggio : The Hero's Life by Richard Ben Cramer
28th December 2006 02:14 PM
Starbuck nelly, i won't deny that the 04 ALCS was amongst the best in history, but we're talking world series, not playoffs. in terms of the world series itself, regardless of the fact that i'm from MN, you can't deny that the 91 series is not one of the best in the 100 + year history of the event. it was drama of the highest magnitude. five of the seven games decided by one run, three extra inning games, and four (including games 6 & 7) decided in the final at bat. not to mention morris's game 7 ten inning shutout masterpiece.

go ahead - deny it! i dare you!

ESPN agrees with me!

http://espn.go.com/swf/mlb/anniversary/worldseries_100.html
28th December 2006 02:38 PM
rasputin56 Please, that Series should be ranked at least 50 spots lower just for that shithole the Twinkies play in and another 10 for that ridiculous chop thing.
[Edited by rasputin56]
28th December 2006 03:17 PM
Starbuck
quote:
Please, that Series should be ranked at least 50 spots lower just for that shithole the Twinkies play in and another 10 for that ridiculous chop thing.

raspie...(fleabit??)...normally your quick thinking, sharp as a tack liberal mind provides insight and clarity....however, this time, starbuck just has to say...

28th December 2006 03:23 PM
rasputin56 LOL, point taken. I guess I'm still just upset that Kirby didn't sign with the Sox in 92. Anyways, I may have been a bit harsh, something must be deducted for the baggy and fly balls rattling around the rafters, though.
28th December 2006 04:06 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
nelly, i won't deny that the 04 ALCS was amongst the best in history, but we're talking world series, not playoffs.

Bucky, I gotta agree with Nellcote here. In the last 6 years, the ALCS and the NLCS have been far more exciting than their World Series counterparts have been.
28th December 2006 05:03 PM
Starbuck
quote:
Bucky, I gotta agree with Nellcote here. In the last 6 years, the ALCS and the NLCS have been far more exciting than their World Series counterparts have been.

monkey!

you're missing the point. i was talking about the best world series ever, not the best LCS. of course the LCSes have been better the last few years - no one is disputing that. however, an exciting world series is as good as it gets...you can't deny that. and the three i mentioned were tops!
28th December 2006 05:07 PM
glencar Baseball Babylon is a compendium of tales of baseball excesses. I read it years ago & I was scandalized. Couldn't put it down. Otherwise, go with Halberstam.
28th December 2006 06:14 PM
lotsajizz I thought his "1949" managed to make a good subject dry and uninteresting; and I normally like Halberstam.
28th December 2006 06:25 PM
nanatod
quote:
Starbuck wrote:
you're missing the point. i was talking about the best world series ever, not the best LCS....however, an exciting world series is as good as it gets...you can't deny that.

The best world series ever, especially for those of us who loathe the Cubs' existence, their "corporate synergy" management, and their obnoxious drunken frat boy fans, was the White Sox winning the 2005 series.
28th December 2006 06:25 PM
monkey_man
quote:
Starbuck wrote:

monkey!

you're missing the point. i was talking about the best world series ever, not the best LCS. of course the LCSes have been better the last few years - no one is disputing that. however, an exciting world series is as good as it gets...you can't deny that. and the three i mentioned were tops!

Ahh the best series ever for me has to the 86 Mets vs. Sox. . .god that was beautiful. I was living a few blocks from Fenway at the time. . .celebrating the Mets home victory in an empty Kenmore Square . . . .such a delight!!!
28th December 2006 06:44 PM
glencar
quote:
monkey_man wrote:

Ahh the best series ever for me has to the 86 Mets vs. Sox. . .god that was beautiful. I was living a few blocks from Fenway at the time. . .celebrating the Mets home victory in an empty Kenmore Square . . . .such a delight!!!

I had just returned from Oklahoma City & things looked bad for the Metsies. My sister & I couldn't watch & went upstairs to watch a different channel. We heard huge cheers from downstairs & the rest of my sizable family was besides themselves with glee. The Metsies had done it! We all love yet disrespect Bill Buckner for what he done.
28th December 2006 07:20 PM
mojoman baseball bin berry berry good to me
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)