ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1965 Michael Ochs
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP James Brown Return to archive Page: 1 2
25th December 2006 03:36 AM
MikeyC613

ATLANTA -
James Brown, the dynamic, pompadoured "Godfather of Soul," whose rasping vocals and revolutionary rhythms made him a founder of rap, funk and disco as well, died early Monday, his agent said. He was 73.
ADVERTISEMENT

Brown was hospitalized with pneumonia at Emory Crawford Long Hospital on Sunday and died around 1:45 a.m. Monday, said his agent, Frank Copsidas of Intrigue Music. Longtime friend Charles Bobbit was by his side, he said.

Copsidas said Brown's family was being notified of his death and that the cause was still uncertain. "We really don't know at this point what he died of," he said.

Along with
Elvis Presley,
Bob Dylan and a handful of others, Brown was one of the major musical influences of the past 50 years. At least one generation idolized him, and sometimes openly copied him. His rapid-footed dancing inspired
Mick Jagger and
Michael Jackson among others. Songs such as
David Bowie's "Fame," Prince's "Kiss," George Clinton's "Atomic Dog" and Sly and the Family Stone's "Sing a Simple Song" were clearly based on Brown's rhythms and vocal style.

If Brown's claim to the invention of soul can be challenged by fans of Ray Charles and Sam Cooke, then his rights to the genres of rap, disco and funk are beyond question. He was to rhythm and dance music what Dylan was to lyrics: the unchallenged popular innovator.

"James presented obviously the best grooves," rapper Chuck D of Public Enemy once told The Associated Press. "To this day, there has been no one near as funky. No one's coming even close."

His hit singles include such classics as "Out of Sight," "(Get Up I Feel Like Being a) Sex Machine," "I Got You (I Feel Good)" and "Say It Out Loud — I'm Black and I'm Proud," a landmark 1968 statement of racial pride.

"I clearly remember we were calling ourselves colored, and after the song, we were calling ourselves black," Brown said in a 2003 Associated Press interview. "The song showed even people to that day that lyrics and music and a song can change society."

He won a Grammy award for lifetime achievement in 1992, as well as
Grammys in 1965 for "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag" (best R&B recording) and for "Living In America" in 1987 (best R&B vocal performance, male.) He was one of the initial artists inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986, along with Presley,
Chuck Berry and other founding fathers.

He triumphed despite an often unhappy personal life. Brown, who lived in Beech Island near the Georgia line, spent more than two years in a South Carolina prison for aggravated assault and failing to stop for a police officer. After his release on in 1991, Brown said he wanted to "try to straighten out" rock music.

From the 1950s, when Brown had his first R&B hit, "Please, Please, Please" in 1956, through the mid-1970s, Brown went on a frenzy of cross-country tours, concerts and new songs. He earned the nickname "The Hardest Working Man in Show Business."

With his tight pants, shimmering feet, eye makeup and outrageous hair, Brown set the stage for younger stars such as Michael Jackson and Prince.

In 1986, he was inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. And rap stars of recent years overwhelmingly have borrowed his lyrics with a digital technique called sampling.

Brown's work has been replayed by the Fat Boys, Ice-T, Public Enemy and a host of other rappers. "The music out there is only as good as my last record," Brown joked in a 1989 interview with Rolling Stone magazine.

"Disco is James Brown, hip-hop is James Brown, rap is James Brown; you know what I'm saying? You hear all the rappers, 90 percent of their music is me," he told the AP in 2003.

Born in poverty in Barnwell, S.C., in 1933, he was abandoned as a 4-year-old to the care of relatives and friends and grew up on the streets of Augusta, Ga., in an "ill-repute area," as he once called it. There he learned to wheel and deal.

"I wanted to be somebody," Brown said.

By the eighth grade in 1949, Brown had served 3 1/2 years in Alto Reform School near Toccoa, Ga., for breaking into cars.

While there, he met Bobby Byrd, whose family took Brown into their home. Byrd also took Brown into his group, the Gospel Starlighters. Soon they changed their name to the Famous Flames and their style to hard R&B.

In January 1956, King Records of Cincinnati signed the group, and four months later "Please, Please, Please" was in the R&B Top Ten.

While most of Brown's life was glitz and glitter, he was plagued with charges of abusing drugs and alcohol and of hitting his third wife, Adrienne.

In September 1988, Brown, high on PCP and carrying a shotgun, entered an insurance seminar next to his Augusta office. Police said he asked seminar participants if they were using his private restroom.

Police chased Brown for a half-hour from Augusta into South Carolina and back to Georgia. The chase ended when police shot out the tires of his truck.

Brown received a six-year prison sentence. He spent 15 months in a South Carolina prison and 10 months in a work release program before being paroled in February 1991. In 2003, the South Carolina parole board granted him a pardon for his crimes in that state.

Soon after his release, Brown was on stage again with an audience that included millions of cable television viewers nationwide who watched the three-hour, pay-per-view concert at Wiltern Theatre in Los Angeles.

Adrienne Brown died in 1996 in Los Angeles at age 47. She took PCP and several prescription drugs while she had a bad heart and was weak from cosmetic surgery two days earlier, the coroner said.

More recently, he married his fourth wife, Tomi Raye Hynie, one of his backup singers. The couple had a son, James Jr.

Two years later, Brown spent a week in a private Columbia hospital, recovering from what his agent said was dependency on painkillers. Brown's attorney, Albert "Buddy" Dallas, said singer was exhausted from six years of road shows.

25th December 2006 03:37 AM
MikeyC613 Nothing else I can think of. This is a huge loss.
25th December 2006 04:10 AM
Honky Tonk Man Ah, shit. This isn't what I wanted to read on Christmas mornung. RIP Mr Brown.
25th December 2006 05:02 AM
Jeep
25th December 2006 05:05 AM
Voodoo Scrounge RIP James

Loved his role in Rocky!
25th December 2006 05:18 AM
WattsAtScotts R.I.P. James
25th December 2006 05:34 AM
Taptrick
I feel bad for friends and family that get the bad news at Christmas. I hope they are able to find comfort in the realization that so few accomplish so much in a life.

25th December 2006 05:55 AM
Jeep
25th December 2006 05:57 AM
Gazza Not the 'breaking news' I wanted to see as I was opening my presents.

Quite a shock. RIP Godfather
25th December 2006 06:21 AM
Jacques Sad news
RIP Godfather
25th December 2006 06:59 AM
shakedhandswithkeith RIP!

I saw him in the late 80ties live, he was a great singer and entertainer!
25th December 2006 07:14 AM
lotsajizz that man friggin' rocked

RIP
25th December 2006 07:15 AM
Angiegirl Wow, that was quite a bitter morning coffee reading this. Another one added to the history list of Legends...
25th December 2006 07:38 AM
luxury1 I almost cant believe it. Shit.

He is passing the Hardest Working Man in Show Business laurels to Mick...
25th December 2006 08:34 AM
Bitch RIP James! Sad news for sure, I'm so glad I saw him a few months ago at HOB in AC, he rocked the house! At 73, he was still touring, right up to the end of his life, the man had staying-power, and a rock and roll soul! I hope you dont mind if I post my review of the show on this thread. It seems appropriate.

James Brown in Atlantic City, May 28th 2006.

Introduced as THE GODFATHER OF SOUL at AC's House of Blues. The 10 piece band rocked wearing red tuxedo jackets, 4 female back up vocalists in matching black shimmy dresses, a younger male lead singer, and a stunning redhead lead vocalist who sounded great and looked gorgeous in her black sequined gown, 2 young dancers in skimpy outfits, and James Brown himself, all decked out in a black sparkly suit.

The man still moves and grooves (he was born in 1933 - I looked up his bio) so he is amazing! James can still shout and holler and rock with soul, the band was very tight and so cool. He stole the show from everyone on the crowded stage with him, a very dynamic presence.

It was crowded, and the people at the door didn't take our tickets as we shuffled in with the crowd. They put this bracelet on us which serves as a re-entry pass. My son and his friend were outside on the boardwalk, and I called them and they said they wanted to come see the show, and they got to see the show too. I was so happy these 15 year old boys could see a living legend and a professional well played show. They loved it and thought it was awesome, so it was really great night. The club was standing room only, people were bumping and grinding, dancing, drinking and partying! A fun concert - if anyone gets the chance to catch James, go for it!

Some highlights of the evening:

Cold Sweat
Hold On I'm Coming
I Like the Way You Move
NIGHT TIME IS THE RIGHT TIME - (STONES played this on ABB)
Get On Up
I Feel Good
Sex Machine

Show started around 9:20 and ended around 10:45. not too long, but for a 73 year old guy, James was impressive. He can still dance and prance and twirl around the stage, totally enjoying himself on the keyboard, was jamming with the band, and the dancers and singers. His whole act is top notch.

25th December 2006 09:57 AM
sirmoonie Goodness graciousness, that man fucking rocked - he did much more important things than this vid clip below, but it was what came to mind - he's out on love!

25th December 2006 10:33 AM
GotToRollMe Oh, no. I had to read this twice - I just couldn't believe it the first time. Very, very sad news. RIP, Godfather Of Soul...you were a one-of-a-kind, and we'll never see the likes of you again. You will be terribly missed.

25th December 2006 10:47 AM
sirmoonie
25th December 2006 11:11 AM
fireontheplatter this completly sucks. god rest his soul. he was the mac daddy of funk/soul music.. he played in denver a few years ago and i am sorry i missed it.

i raise my budweiser to james.......papa's got a brand new bag.......

25th December 2006 11:40 AM
LadyJane
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
He is passing the Hardest Working Man in Show Business laurels to Mick...

Well said, Luxy!

Saw him live once back in the 80's. He was an incredible performer.

Bummer to see this on Xmas morning.

RIP.

LJ.
25th December 2006 11:46 AM
Riffhard RIP to the hardest working man in show business. He died in the exact same hospital that I was born in! Weird. I always credit James Brown for lighting a fire under Mick's ass when it came to stage presence. The TAMI Show was when Mick had to really step it up after following James Brown. He did,and that it to Brown's everlasting credit. Mick should light a candle for the man today.

Riffy
25th December 2006 11:49 AM
PartyDoll MEG Not the greatest news to find out this morning. What a loss for the music world..DAMN!! RIP James.
25th December 2006 11:49 AM
Sir Stonesalot Damn.

Goodbye Mr. Brown.
25th December 2006 11:53 AM
Poplar
No words for how mack that man was. RIP James...

on another note - best xmas wishes to you all.
25th December 2006 12:06 PM
MrPleasant R.I.P.
25th December 2006 02:39 PM
Scot Rocks RIP the Godfather. He was an absolute legend.

sad way to start Christmas day hearing this
25th December 2006 03:37 PM
The Wick Jagger would never have been the performer he is if it were not for James Brown. Arthur Conley sang it best: He's the King of them all.
25th December 2006 03:38 PM
monkey_man RIP JB! Thanks for everything you gave us while you were alive. My wife and I had "It's a Man's Man's World" as the first dance at our wedding! People freaked until I told them that my wife chose it.
I feel fortunate to have seen him at the Lone Star in NY in '85. . .what a showman! I'm on an all JB diet today . . .put that bounce in my Xmas!
[Edited by monkey_man]
25th December 2006 04:14 PM
monkey_man
[Edited by monkey_man]
25th December 2006 04:31 PM
sirmoonie He had thats schtick where he would collapse in exhaustion from performing, and would be propped to his feet by aides. Anyone finds that vid, you get my sincerest thanks.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)