ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

With Liv Tyler @ The VH1 Fasion Awards after party
© 2000 Kevin Mazur from Rolling Stone Magazine
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 2005 was a great Stones year: Biggest tour of 2005 and a #1 album on the global chart Return to archive
January 2nd, 2006 11:58 PM
Poison Dart 2005 was a great year for the Stones.

-They hit #1 on the global (the single most important chart in the world. It registers how an album is selling in all countries around the globe) album chart and stayed there for 3 weeks. Thus far ABB was sold around 2.3 million copies worldwide.

-They had the highest grossing North American tour of all time despite playing only 42 dates as opposed to U2 who played 78 dates and still could not equal the Stones at the box office.

U2 played to 1.4 million people in those 72 shows. Average audience of 19,444 per show. While the Stones played to 1.2 million people in 42 shows. An average crowdd of 28,571. It seems the Stones are still the kings of the road and are the only band in the world that is still capable of selling out 70,000 seat football stadiums.

-Are getting set to play to a audience of close to one billion people at the Superbowl.

-Are expected to play to 1.2 million people at a free show in Rio. Which I believe will be the biggest or one of the biggest concert audiences ever.

-Did I mention they released their best album in 25 years and received almost universal praise (Rolling Stone called ABB the second best album of 2005) from the critics?

Not bad for a bunch of guys who are old enough to be the grandfathers of such pop tarts as Hillary Duff and Jessica Simpson. The fact that these guys had a #1 album on the global chart and are still packing crowds in at football stadiums when their original bass player is 70 years old is fucking amazing. Nobody, not The Beatles, not Elvis not Sinatra have played at this level for so long. These guys are a freak of nature.

LONG LIVE THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND EVER!!!!!

PS: Lets hope 2015 is just as good
[Edited by Poison Dart]
[Edited by Poison Dart]
[Edited by Poison Dart]
January 3rd, 2006 01:42 AM
GimmeExile Excellent post! Happy New Year...Keep the good, positive vibes coming.
January 3rd, 2006 10:23 AM
gimmekeef Well put!...your post is not a bust!!!!
January 3rd, 2006 10:45 AM
Doxa "Did I mention they released their best album in 25 years"

Best since... Emotional Rescue? Now you must be kidding

Anyway, great post!

- Doxa
January 3rd, 2006 04:43 PM
gotdablouse Not bad indeed, although I think B2B is a better album, if only for the fact that there was a "real" guitar player on that one, i.e. Waddy Wachtel, to craft interesting guitar lines. That's the big letdown with ABB, the guitars are weak.
January 3rd, 2006 11:51 PM
Poison Dart IMHO I thought A Bigger Bang was much better than Bridges to Babylon
January 4th, 2006 03:14 AM
highwire
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
2005 was a great year for the Stones.

-Are expected to play to 1.2 million people at a free show in Rio.

their original bass player is 70 years old is fucking amazing. Nobody, not The Beatles, not Elvis not Sinatra have played at this level for so long. These guys are a freak of nature.
LONG LIVE THE GREATEST ROCK AND ROLL BAND EVER!!!!!

1.2 million people. Thats nuts. I was at Downsview Park, Toronto Rocks 2003 show.Close to 500 thousand fans. Biggest show Stones have played. However thats too many people. That show was an endurance contest. Hanging out all day in a never ending crush of people, to catch the Stones set which came on after dark. The stories I could tell about that day.
Fenced off grass beer pens about a mile from the stage that looked like something out of Planet of the Apes. 2 hour lineups to get in the pen and then line up again to actually buy the beer.
Returning to your blanket or seating area, flop area, after a bathroom break that took 2 hours to complete and then not being able to find where you were sitting because the whole area had changed.
I came with 6 people planned on meeting 4 more( at only 20 bucks a ticket, I think everybody took the day off to go)Never saw the 4 we were to meet and by the time the neverending day was over I'd lost the other 6 and watched Rush AC/DC and Stones by myself.
I'm not complaing but the whole day was almost comical. Well worth it though. Stones did a full show.Close to hour and a half plus the on stage jamming with Malcolm and Angus. Miss You with Justin was embarrasing, although Justin was pelted with empty water bottles during his solo performance earlier. He'll know better than to crash a rock n roll party in the future.

Long live the Stones! They are the template for every rock n roll band thats followed and ever will follow.They can't be improved on. They are the perfect rock n roll band. They are the mold, the originals. Everything else pales.
I won't even get into the musician ship but no one sings rock n roll like Jagger. Star Star, IORR, the list of gems is endless.

Isn't Bill Wyman 69. 70 later this year.
[Edited by highwire]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)