ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

With Liv Tyler @ The VH1 Fasion Awards after party
© 2000 Kevin Mazur from Rolling Stone Magazine
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: CD Storage? Return to archive
December 30th, 2005 07:16 AM
Zeeta Howdyadoit?

I have a huge deep set of shelves which is just crap at holding CDs. I have shit loads now - as well as vinyls and tapes and it's becoming ridiculous.
I dont particualy want a cd rack as they're ugly. Don't want them in wallets as I like the artwork, and yes I have an iPod type thing and yes they are all on my PC but I'm not just gonna throw them all out just because they're on my PC now am I!?

So, what do I do with them? and what do you do?

And Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 30th, 2005 07:35 AM
Jair That's what I did, if can help you, or maybe give you some idea.

I've asked to a carpenter do it to me, as I needed, so I put all my CDs, cassettes, PC, the stereo and the soundboxes. There are glass on the doors, so I keep the CDs away from the dust.

bellow there are also doors, and there I kept old vinyls, books, alot of related music and PC stuff.

It's ok to me, I only dislike the color of the wood...

Happy New Year for U2!!!

[Edited by Jair]
December 30th, 2005 07:42 AM
egon for me a cd rack needs to be:

a) closed
b) nice to look at

the best thing i've found is this;
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=7&langId=-20&catalogId=10103&productId=60979

[Edited by egon]
[Edited by egon]
December 30th, 2005 07:46 AM
Zeeta Yeah I like that Egon! 290 cds - I'm not sure how many I have...

I'll have to count!

Jair that's cool as well but too expensive man - Bespoke Joinery...good lord!
[Edited by Zeeta]
December 30th, 2005 07:51 AM
Factory Girl Yes, Jair the case is beautiful. Is it built-in, or can you take it with you if you move?
December 30th, 2005 07:53 AM
egon But remeber zeeta;
It does NOT come with the light!
December 30th, 2005 08:00 AM
BILL PERKS I JUST BOUGHT A BRIEFCASE FROM BEST BUY WHICH NOW CONTAINS ALL OF MY STONES CD'S/ DVD'S ..I GOT RID OF ALL JEWEL CASES AND KEPT LINERS AND DISCS
December 30th, 2005 08:14 AM
Jair
quote:
Factory Girl wrote:
Yes, Jair the case is beautiful. Is it built-in, or can you take it with you if you move?

Thanks! I'll say to my friend carpenter you liked, I'm sure he will be happy.

And no, no built-in, I can take it anywhere, doing alot of strenght

No intention to move, anyway.

Hey Zeeta, not really expensive, because the guy is my friend and he works mostly as a pastime...So, lucky me!

[Edited by Jair]
December 30th, 2005 11:37 AM
pdog I have about 3500 CD's, not to mention an insane amount of bootlegs on CD-r's... I've not found a solution, it's a work in progress and I've pretty much given up on ever having order...
December 30th, 2005 01:53 PM
highwire I like to flip through my cds with front facing forward and change up their order from time to time. There is nothing on market that accomodates this as most cd storage media display the spine, not the front and come with slots that prevent changing up the order without handling every cd.

One solution I am considering is having carpenter build me cd size drawer unit with dividers so I can flip away and change up the order.

Ikea does have somethign along these lines. Little mini boxes with two cd size drawers that hold about 20 cds each and they even list cd storage as part of unit funtionality.
Each unit retails for $25.00 Cdn and hold 40 cds. I might buy a bunch of these boxes and stack them. 8 boxes=320 cds= $200.
Another idea is just to improvise dividers in a suitable chest of drawers or have a capenter build it.
December 30th, 2005 05:28 PM
PolkSalad
quote:
pdog wrote:
not to mention an insane amount of bootlegs on CD-r's... I've not found a solution...

ugh, I hear ya, working on it as well. really hate walking into dat yuppie container store to browse...
December 30th, 2005 07:33 PM
Bloozehound I've got a pretty big music collection, I bought a big bookshelf that I use solely to store my music collection on, similar to Jairs but just shelves, no fancy glass doors, and its packed from top to bottom with cds, works great, but I've outgrown it, cds are beginning to pile up on the floor, so I'm getting ready to buy another one
December 30th, 2005 08:37 PM
glencar I just put 'em where they fit. It's not really something I worry about.
December 30th, 2005 09:11 PM
Soldatti It's very difficult, I have about 400 Cd's in my room and 300 or so around the house, and I'm not counting vinyls, tapes and DVD's. I need a good place to put all these things together.

[Edited by Soldatti]
December 31st, 2005 01:49 AM
keefjunkie
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
It's very difficult, I have about 400 Cd's in my room and 300 or so around the house, and I'm not counting vinyls, tapes and DVD's. I need a good place to put all these things together.

[Edited by Soldatti]

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
December 31st, 2005 07:23 AM
Phog I've got mine stored in boxes for the most part. Looks like shit, but works well enough.
December 31st, 2005 08:37 AM
axl79 I removed the black platic cases, that's the crap that takes space, and keep it on flat cd folders, separatly, one for each cd together with the sleeves.

Anyone knows if the iPOD does play flac or shn files ?

December 31st, 2005 11:32 AM
Sir Stonesalot >8 boxes=320 cds= $200<

I have somewhere around 12,000 CDs and CDRs. The above is not an option.

In fact, I don't think there IS an option for me.

I have a 5 shelf bookcase full of just Stones CDs and CDRs. I just got another one for my Dylan and Neil Young stuff.

The only thing that I could figure was to display a few thousand that I actually listen to on a regular basis, and store the rest in those big plastic stackable totes containers. It's either that, or buy some of those big ass display bins that they use in CD stores...and that isn't very practical in a house.

I have been thinking on this for about 4 years now. I still haven't figured it out. I thought I had it licked when I was going to turn my under the steps closet into a CD vault...but the closet just wasn't big enough.

I don't know what the fuck to do. I might listen to some of the stuff that I have in the totes if it wasn't such a pain in the ass to get to it.

I dunno. I think it's just one of those crosses that music fans are made to bear.
December 31st, 2005 01:37 PM
Schooner333 Yeah, storing a few hundred was never a problem, but storing thousands is a different story all together.
December 31st, 2005 01:44 PM
highwire I think finding the wall space and then have someone build a cabinet. What Jair has above does the trick. The cds are all accessible and the cabinet. With the cabinets down below it looks like he could pile up overflow
December 31st, 2005 02:27 PM
Soldatti
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I'm planning to buy one in few months.
December 31st, 2005 03:48 PM
Sir Stonesalot You know, storing vinyl was easier. You could get those milk crates real cheap and just stack the crap out of them.

That does not work with CDs. You gotta buy expensive shelving or cabinets. Or you gotta store them in some sort of container that makes it a pain to access the CDs.

Jair has a nice cabinet. My problem is that I'd need about 6 or 7 of them...just for what I have now. And I'm averaging the need for an additional one of those cabinets EVERY YEAR.

It's just not doable.

The only realistic thing for me is to stop getting so much stuff...which is sad because I like getting big piles of new stuff to explore.

December 31st, 2005 04:26 PM
Jair
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
(...)

Jair has a nice cabinet. My problem is that I'd need about 6 or 7 of them...just for what I have now. And I'm averaging the need for an additional one of those cabinets EVERY YEAR.

Thanks, Sir. Glad you like it. You can do a bigger cabinet like mine using better the space. By that picture you can see about 1.500/1.600 CDs, but tere's a second row behind -so, it made about 3.000 +

It wouldnt be much practical, but you leave there those you rarely listen...In my case, Tom Waits, the 60's Dylan, most of Lou Reed, hgundreds of blues records, alot of crap made in seventies, etc...

January 1st, 2006 01:38 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
pdog wrote:
I have about 3500 CD's, not to mention an insane amount of bootlegs on CD-r's... I've not found a solution, it's a work in progress and I've pretty much given up on ever having order...

quuoted for truth (my situation exactly)...

oh, and then there is all the vinyl, which takes up even more space, and weighs more, too...
January 2nd, 2006 03:44 PM
Jair As I have some spare time, I wanna add that even bespoke joinery is not so expensive here made a cabinet as you wish. I guess it depends where you live. In my case, a small town for our standards (about 400 thousand people), in a third world country (or second, if you ask Glenny, a very nice & kind guy).

Ok, following: we have the rain forest, the biggest in the world, but lots of people and private companies are over there stealing the wood to do fancy furnitures. Last time I read something about the Amazon Forest, the Europeans were the biggest thieves (Yes, always number 1, as Schumacher), followed close by US and...Japan! And then, of course, dont forget we got our own thieves, whose positions I dont know right now. Maybe we're even winning of the "Old World".
The pole, anyway and officialy, belongs to the Europeans.

In short: here, you get noble kind of woods cheap, in terms. Ok, no THAT cheap, but not expensive at all.

Once, right now I dont remember who, suggested that the Rain Forest were sold by rich countries -- and then all the fucking left parties on this country made a big mess. "Ohh, and where is our sovereignty???", and "Ohh, and about our dignity", and all kind of "Ohhhhhhhhs" you can imagine.

So, now everybody is destroying the forest, nobody care decently due his huge size, and the current gov't, which is left, is stealing in a way nodoby did before in the Brazil history.

Lula, the president (even his name is ridicule) is the biggest shame this country ever had.

Then, with nobody support him, now he decided kiss George Bush ass.

See? The left Brazilian parties are given us a great history lesson.

January 3rd, 2006 01:34 AM
highwire If you check out these cabinets. They hold a lot of media and what I like about them is you can customize and add as collections grows.
They also allow for cds to be stored face forward so you can flip through. Dividers but not slots so you can change up cd order.

http://www.can-am.ca/cdvideo.htm
January 3rd, 2006 07:59 AM
egon
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

I'm planning to buy one in few months.

yes you should!
January 3rd, 2006 11:21 AM
Zeeta
quote:
egon wrote:

yes you should!

Yes I just bought one of them iPod Nano things...seems cool but we'll see!

Doesn't solve the cd storage problem tho...just cos they're on an iPod I'm not just gonna throw them away!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)