ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

© 1975 Allan Tannenbaum - Thanks Cucho!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie Wood avoids celebrity parties Return to archive
December 28th, 2004 07:44 PM
moy Ronnie Wood avoids celebrity parties
By Daniel Saney

After his wild past, Rolling Stone Ronnie Wood says that he has to steer clear of celebrity bashes as there is too great a temptation to indulge in his old vices.

Ronnie, an ex-drug addict and heavy drinker, is still cursed with a hankering for alcohol despite his efforts to remain clean.

Speaking about the UK Music Hall of Fame awards at Hackney Empire, he said: "There was a big champagne reception and a party afterwards, which I avoided. I just did my job, accepted the award, and came home.

"But in the old days, I would've been there from six o'clock in the evening to three o'clock in the morning. I can't do that anymore.

"For someone like me, it doesn't work like that. So I stay away from 'wet places', as we call them. It's quite a nightmare, really, but I'm doing the best I can."

[Edited by moy]
December 28th, 2004 07:50 PM
mac_daddy sounds like he is being honest with himself, and with everyone else...

and that is a very healthy way to be.
December 28th, 2004 07:55 PM
nankerphelge Hang in there Ronald

I was just listening to You Can't Always Git What You Want from Love You Live!

Screw the Taylorites -- Ronnie rocks!

December 28th, 2004 07:55 PM
moy yes he does nanky
December 28th, 2004 07:56 PM
glencar This sounds fine but has he really conquered his problem if he can't be around others who are drinkin'?
December 28th, 2004 07:56 PM
Poplar
Listened to Memphis '78 last night.

Indeed: Ronnie rocks.

December 28th, 2004 07:58 PM
telecaster
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Hang in there Ronald

I was just listening to You Can't Always Git What You Want from Love You Live!

Screw the Taylorites -- Ronnie rocks!

He can rock when he wants to

LYL version is great. I had some video years ago of that and it was great

I wish Ronnie would put some effort into the band he belongs to
December 28th, 2004 07:59 PM
nankerphelge It's anonymous!!!

Ronnie rocks!!

don't tell everyone that moy, Poplar, tele and I say so!
[Edited by nankerphelge]
December 28th, 2004 08:04 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
It's anonymous!!!

Ronnie rocks!!

don't you mean unanimous..?
December 28th, 2004 08:11 PM
nankerphelge Shhhhh

Ronnie ROCKS

December 28th, 2004 08:15 PM
telecaster
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Shhhhh

Ronnie ROCKS

It's coming!
December 28th, 2004 08:56 PM
Soldatti
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
Shhhhh

Ronnie ROCKS

Yes, but sometimes...
December 29th, 2004 03:13 PM
T&A You gotta feel for the man....I mean, could he be paired up with anyone worse for his well-being than Keef? What a nightmare that must be for him these days.
December 29th, 2004 03:31 PM
F505
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Listened to Memphis '78 last night.

Indeed: Ronnie rocks.

That was in 1978!
December 29th, 2004 04:07 PM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:

That was in 1978!

lol....and lyl 77
December 29th, 2004 04:53 PM
White House Lawn I think folks have a hard time separating Ronnie-the-nice-guy from Ronnie-the-troubled-and-not-so-great-guitar-player-in-recent-years). He seems like an awesome guy--I love his personality--but the live guitar playing hasn't been cutting it. Keith's either, for that matter. Maybe it's old age? Arthritis for the latter? Whatever the case, it's probably going to get worse before it gets better. For the live shows they really need to add Waddy as a third guitarist--maybe they can put a paper bag over his head! LOL

And if you REALLY want to hear Ronnie rock, check out the Faces boxed set. Greatest. Box Set. Ever!

[Edited by White House Lawn]
December 29th, 2004 06:10 PM
T&A If you wanna hear what Ronnie used to sound like today - check out Mac's guitar player in the Bump Band - Jud Newcomb. The guy is awesome. Been listening alot to the 11-21-04 show from Raleigh - killer stuff - lotsa Faces songs like they used to sound!
December 29th, 2004 08:43 PM
winter listen to the faces box set, 'nuff said-

sorry, just realized someone said this before me, but it is true

2 best box sets of all time - Marley - Songs of Freedom, and Faces - 5 Guys walk inot a Bar
[Edited by winter]
December 29th, 2004 08:45 PM
glencar Ronnie at Wembley in 1999 was a horrid sight. He could barely stand up when being introduced.
December 29th, 2004 09:00 PM
Lavendar Well, I guess I won't be seeing Ronnie et all. Unanimous, anonymous. Let the confetti fly..................Let's all CHEER to Ronnie, maybe he will be able to catch the vibes and become stronger yet.
Nothing is impossible Popeye was the strongest Mother F
December 30th, 2004 07:56 AM
Zeeta Ronnie has the best job in rock and roll and should try a bit harder to play the guitar. I mean you just can't compare him in recent years he's not been well but hopefully he's on the right track now and can get with it, stop punching the air and star jumping when he should be concentrating on PLAYING his instrument it's his job man.
Sometimes it gets annoying.
If I was in Ronnie's shoes I'd practice ALL the time and lead Keith on stage battle with him and get his back up to improve the sound.
Like I say I really do hope he can get with it.
December 30th, 2004 08:27 AM
Gazza he seems to be able to stay off the booze, but at the minute it seems his biggest problem is his inability to kick smoking.

he was told earlier this year that the risk of emphysema was so big that if he didnt stop, he was fucked.

If he doesnt get that shit sorted out, he wont be around to finish the tour.
December 30th, 2004 09:43 PM
Soldatti The problem with Keith and Ronnie began in 1989 with the comeback tour, they played less and less during the following tours and the gang is playing more and more every new tour.
December 30th, 2004 10:08 PM
glencar He played his heart out opening night on the Licks tour. If he could only do it for a sustained period of time, we'd all be happy.
December 31st, 2004 12:52 AM
CraigP I was also at the openeing show for the Licks Tour in Boston. Before the show the radio stations were ranting about tonight being Ronnie's first show sober in either 20 or 25 years!!! And guess what, it was the best Stones concert I've been to, out of 3 so far...(It was my 2nd Stones show). They all played their rocks off. I had great seats/sound section right next to the stage. I love the fact that while in concert they will walk/run around as far as the stage will allow and play to everyone. A fond memoy of Keith greeting our section by stopping and looking at us all up and down. It felt like he made eye contact with all of us each time he looked our way.
That's my take on how powerful keith's soal is, I'll never forget it. It was almost like he was saying thank-you to us all individually.

At the end of the FOUR FLICKS documentary it shows Mick opening night at the Fleet Center run out from backstage for the 1st song Street Fighting Man. Then it shows the credits of the DVD but still plays the song for the most part...
When I first saw that on the DVD it was so sentimental for me... I'm not a sappy person, homosexual, or female but I got all teary from the rush that the flash-back gave me of that magic night...
I hope they tour again... If Ronnie stays sober, he will kick ass. I'd tell him to fuck the stage fright and play it off like he did Opening Night.

-Peace.
December 31st, 2004 03:53 AM
Pierre
quote:
nankerphelge wrote:
I was just listening to You Can't Always Git What You Want from Love You Live! Ronnie rocks!

YES, in 1976.
December 31st, 2004 04:44 AM
FOURCHETTE Tiens, j'ai l'impression d'avoir déjà lu ça ailleurs...
December 31st, 2004 05:25 AM
F505
quote:
FOURCHETTE wrote:
Tiens, j'ai l'impression d'avoir déjà lu ça ailleurs...

Oui vous avez raison: j'ai dit la meme chose
I listened to the Knebworth boot the other night. Ronnie was really good in those days. His guitar work is rock'n' roll on the highest level.

[Edited by F505]
December 31st, 2004 05:32 AM
FOURCHETTE Mais non F505, il ne s'agit pas toi.. Au fait, je sais que tu es Belge. Où habites-tu exactement ? Tu sais il y a beaucoup de Stoniens dans le Nord d la France...
Salut !
December 31st, 2004 05:37 AM
F505
quote:
FOURCHETTE wrote:
Mais non F505, il ne s'agit pas toi.. Au fait, je sais que tu es Belge. Où habites-tu exactement ? Tu sais il y a beaucoup de Stoniens dans le Nord d la France...
Salut !

Helas je ne suis pas Belge.... Je suis Hollandais et je parle tres mauvais français. So therefore I will continue in English (also not very good): I live in Utrecht famous because of the Stones concert in Vredenburg
rock on!
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood