ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Đ 1975 Allan Tannenbaum - Thanks Cucho!
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: MSG 11-28-69 (2nd) Bit Torrent Return to archive
December 26th, 2004 06:25 PM
TornAndFrayed I have just posted this SATANIC TOUR show over at The Traderīs Den. Feel free to pick it up!

Here is the link: http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1949

info:
The Rolling Stones
Madison Square Garden, New York City, November 28, 1969 (2nd show)

Source: audience recording

Gen: master > CDR(2) > wav (EAC) > shn (mkw)

Setlist:
1. Jumpinī Jack Flash
2. Carol
3. Sympathy For The Devil
4. Stray Cat Blues
5. Love In Vain
6. Prodigal Son
7. You Gotta Move
8. Under My Thumb
9. Midnight Rambler
10. Live With Me
11. Little Queenie
12. Satisfaction
13. Honky Tonk Women
14. Street Fighting Man

Length: 63:56 (393MB)

Notes:
"Midnight Rambler" and "Live With Me" (instrumantal track) on Get Yer Ya-Yaīs Out are from this concert, as well as "Satisfaction" and "Street Fighting Man" from the Gimme Shelter movie.
December 26th, 2004 06:31 PM
Gazza I'm not familiar with this site, so thanks for pointing me to it

Now that sharingthegroove has gone tits up, are there any other torrent sites you'd recommend for live shows, apart from easytree?

I was using suprnova.org for official albums but thats gone too as of last week!
[Edited by Gazza]
December 26th, 2004 08:01 PM
mac_daddy gazza -

you are doing the bt thing now..? good for you!

everydayjones
tradersden

also:

bt.etree.org - but that is for bands that allow taping and distro

and of course there is always the LlaMA. not bit torrent, but the servers are likely faster than what you get on most torrent swarms. again, only tape/trade firendly artists, but alot to choose from. lossless and lossy encoded material...
December 26th, 2004 08:24 PM
jpenn11 Thanks for the notice!

One of the NY '69 shows was "remastered" by Mickboy. Is this that one?
December 26th, 2004 09:51 PM
mac_daddy hey t+f - i forgot to say "thank you" in my original post...

quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
Thanks for the notice!

One of the NY '69 shows was "remastered" by Mickboy. Is this that one?

i do not know the answer to that. what is the title of that one..?

the source that torn and frayed is torrenting has NOT been remastered; it is sourced from the digital transfer of the analog master (casette?)...

master > CDR(2) > wav (EAC) > shn (mkw)

_____

just a few more lossless believers/converts, and we might be able to start expediting the tree distros this way...
December 26th, 2004 10:04 PM
Gazza
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
gazza -

you are doing the bt thing now..? good for you!

I sure am. You inadvertently pointed me to it with sharingthegroove, so I'm really getting into it. Got some nice Steve Earle, Springsteen and Dylan '04 shows recently.

I'm still finding my feet in it technically, with a bit of trial and error, especially with transferring stuff to CDR, and I havent uploaded any torrents yet - but it's great to be able to get shows so soon after they took place.

Thanks for the tips
December 26th, 2004 11:27 PM
Bloozehound cool thanks for the heads up

good to learn of some fresh sites, easytree has been kinda slow recently
December 27th, 2004 06:14 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I sure am. You inadvertently pointed me to it with sharingthegroove, so I'm really getting into it. Got some nice Steve Earle, Springsteen and Dylan '04 shows recently.

I'm still finding my feet in it technically, with a bit of trial and error, especially with transferring stuff to CDR, and I havent uploaded any torrents yet - but it's great to be able to get shows so soon after they took place.

Thanks for the tips

Hi Gary.

Hey, if you are looking for downloading some great bootlegs, check it out: http://www.rockbootlegs.com

And btw, on the left of this site pay attention to the free section, named "Weekly Free Download". The boot of the week is "Bruce Springsteen - Cleveland Country Heartbeat (11.15.99)". Hope you enjoy it!

Don't forget, there is available 1 free bootleg each week.
December 27th, 2004 07:18 AM
TornAndFrayed
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
Hey, if you are looking for downloading some great bootlegs, check it out: http://www.rockbootlegs.com

This is not directed to anyone in person but if I ever see any show I have offered turn up on that site (or any other bullshit pay/mp3 site) Iīll never distribute anything again.

You have been warned.
December 27th, 2004 10:29 AM
mac_daddy t+f -

as a taper and archivist, i have been 'round and 'round with this one. it is precisely because of sites like this, and the folks that litter the circulation pool with lossy rips, and cds sourced from mp3s, that those of us with access to unmolested sources must circulate them. you are fighting the good fight, and i hate to see my recordings end up on ebay as much as anybody, and the mp3 sites that abound on the net drive me nuts, too, because most people do NOT know the difference (though they tout that they do), and thus they contaminate the circulation pool. but again, in the face of this adversity, i feel it is incumbant upon those of us who know what's up to make sure that the good stuff circulates...

plus, the taper community of which i am a part is extrememly vigilant about ebay sales - if you ever see one of your sources up where it does not belong, let me know, and i can assure you that the site/auction/seller will be dealt with swiftly and appropriately...

December 27th, 2004 10:29 AM
J.J.Flash Sorry, but I didn't understand your point. What have I done wrong?
December 27th, 2004 10:38 AM
J.J.Flash Anyway, no harm intended...... I thought some people would find interesting to downloading some bootlegs, mostly non-Stones bootlegs, as the same way many people do through Kazaa sort of stuff.

As I said, I thought some people could enjoy downloading some bootlegs, while these people can't have a regular bootleg via trading, vine, whatever.....

And I should say thank you very much T&F for being kind hearted like many others here who let other fanatics to have bootlegs.

Oh, and by the way, that link I've posted above was mentioned here some time ago, not by myself.

Nuff said
December 27th, 2004 10:42 AM
J.J.Flash and FYI, I will never pay for mp3 bootlegs.
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
December 27th, 2004 11:20 AM
mac_daddy jjf -

i was afraid you might think my post was aimed at you. it wasnt, nor was it aimed at anyone here in particular. this board is not a trading board, and how members listen to tunes, or what format they use to transport those tunes is none of my business. but when we are discussing seeding and distro of sources, this topic comes up. t+f was expressing his ire at some who compress these lossless sources to lossy (mp3)compression, and then circulate them far and wide. he was also saying that he hates it when folks freely download a source and then turn around and try to auction it off on ebay...

as a taper, and archivist, i (along with t+f) deal exclusively with lossless audio, and feel very strongly about the matter. all i was saying above, albeit in a longwinded manner, is that i empathize with t+f's sentiments, and that i (along with a very active community of folks like me) have an eye out for ebay scum, and will do everything possible to make sure that sources like these are not successfully (and illegally) auctioned at ebay...

nothing derrogatory was directed at you, or any other member of this board...

and, again, many thanks for this one. Torn and Frayed. i am waiting for it to be late enough in the morning so that i can listen to this one at a proper decibel level
December 27th, 2004 01:41 PM
J.J.Flash No problem daddy! I've got your point clear as water!

Keep Rockin'
December 27th, 2004 06:05 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:

... I'm still finding my feet in it technically, with a bit of trial and error, especially with transferring stuff to CDR, and I havent uploaded any torrents yet...

Thanks for the tips

i forgot to mention, i wrote up a faq on this subject that i have up on my site. i wrote it with folks like you in mind (intelligent friends who have broadband and a 'puter, and are interested in getting the bit torrent/lossless audio thing together)...
December 27th, 2004 06:23 PM
Gazza
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

i wrote it with folks like you in mind (intelligent friends who have broadband and a 'puter_),

I dunno about intelligent, but thanks for that help. I bookmarked it

Thanks to JJF for your advice too.
[Edited by Gazza]
December 27th, 2004 09:12 PM
T&A If you ain't bit-torrenting, you just ain't a-happenin!
December 27th, 2004 11:39 PM
Soldatti Thanks for the link, it works fine.
December 28th, 2004 07:36 AM
TornAndFrayed
quote:
J.J.Flash wrote:
Sorry, but I didn't understand your point. What have I done wrong?

Please donīt think my post was aimed at you.

mac really hits the nail on the head with anything he said regarding the ebay/bootleg/mp3/selling/trading ethics issue. Thanks for saving me the time
Itīs good to see high-quality lowgen NON-BOOTLEG sources posted because they are the real deal.
I will continue to distribute the stuff I have.

Bootlegs are bad. VGP went down because they could no longer sell their overpriced garbage. Every single Licks tour show they released was taken from DAT/MD master clones which had been circulated for free through trading circles. Their MSG 07-25-72 3CD release came out two months after I circulated it for free. Nobody bought it because thousands of collectors already had downloaded the shows for free. Now the label is out of business. That feels good.
Free lossless distribution is the future.
December 28th, 2004 11:02 AM
mac_daddy glad we are all on the same page...

keep 'em coming, t+f!

_____

while we are on the subject of torrents, i figured i would post a link to this one - it is likely the finest recording i made all year, and i just hopped on again as a seed, but this won't be going for too much longer, so if you are interested, now would be the time to hop on...

if you do check it out, i would love to know what you think...

December 29th, 2004 09:00 AM
Gazza >Itīs good to see high-quality lowgen NON-BOOTLEG sources posted because they are the real deal.
I will continue to distribute the stuff I have.

seems we're almost full circle from when I started trading live shows on tapes in the early 80's.

For years, if you were offering shows or studio sessions it was considered important to serious collectors that the tapes were from original sources and not copied from bootleg LP's...and if you were sent an original tape that ended up as a bootleg release thanks to you, then you were a pariah.

When CDR's became the norm just after the internet really took off as a means for trading, it seemed that less people were concerned with getting their material from original, low gen sources anymore.

In all my years collecting Stones material, the number of actual factory-pressed bootleg LPs and CDs of the band that I own could be counted on two hands - most of them have in fact been gifts. However, I have about 1700 tapes and several hundred CDRs. Most of the tapes at least probably wouldn't be copied from bootlegs but from original source tapes. I've never felt the need to finance bootleggers. There are much more cost-effective and enjoyable ways of amassing a collection.
December 29th, 2004 09:40 AM
mac_daddy as far as keeping the bootleg biz down - i really think distro schemes like bit torrent are the key...

as so many of these industry types are fond of repeating: "how do you compete with free?"

by getting these things out to whomever wants them, you remove a good deal of the market for bootleggers, yet it in no way take away from the commercial viability of the band, who can release material sourced from far superior masters, and can encode in formats like SACD. comparing the two is like comparing apples and oranges. but killing the bootlegging industry is not such a bad thing...

the thing with bootlegs that gets me is that all of these yahoos, most of whom did not do the taping, step all over the sources, adding eq, fades, etc. - all of which is what we call destructive editing. and many of them dont know what they are doing; they simply fumble around with hacked versions of audio editing software, until they get what they think sounds better to them, when played back on their (fisher-price) system. so over time, the quality deteriorates. this is facilitated by all the john q publics out there that burn copies for their trades as tao, or worse, along with the folks that dont properly perform the DAE step. not to mention everybody that downloads mp3s from napster and kazza, and then converts those files to audio cd, and touts them as being cd quality. just because most people cannot readily hear a difference does NOT mean that the difference is not there! /rant

but because the sources are so stepped on, going back to the analog tapes is preferable. by doing so properly, one gets rid of all the errors that have accumulated on some of these things over the past 20 years. this is esp. true if you can get cassettes played back with properly adjusted azimuth and noise reduction encding...

in case you were wondering, i can do all of this, so if you have any cassettes that are worthy candidates for transfer - please let me know. all i need is one playback swipe (i also have a professional connection who can handle reels, including baking if need be, and who would be happy to properly, and safely, transfer any reel sources you might have).

blah.
December 29th, 2004 11:33 AM
charlotte http://torrentspy.com/

December 29th, 2004 12:26 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
charlotte wrote:
http://torrentspy.com/

that is what i use to make the *.torrent files...

to download, i like abc, but lots of folks use azerus...
December 29th, 2004 12:53 PM
jpenn11 mac_daddy,

What do you use to tweak azimuth on cassette playback? (My recollection is that Nak used to make a player that corrected automatically, but I never heard it work.)

Thanks!
December 29th, 2004 01:20 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
mac_daddy,

What do you use to tweak azimuth on cassette playback? (My recollection is that Nak used to make a player that corrected automatically, but I never heard it work.)

Thanks!

you need a deck that allows you to manually adjust the azimuth. manually adjusting the bias helps, too...

i have a nak dr-1 that has such controls...

when tuning azimuth, i do it by ear - you can hear a very clear difference when everything is lined up correctly.
December 29th, 2004 03:34 PM
jpenn11 Thanks--I think Nak is out of the cassette deck business. I forgot it was called the Dragon. (After replacing the heads a few times--apparently softer heads got the 20-20 f response--I let my 600 die quietly.)
December 29th, 2004 10:43 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
jpenn11 wrote:
Thanks--I think Nak is out of the cassette deck business. I forgot it was called the Dragon. (After replacing the heads a few times--apparently softer heads got the 20-20 f response--I let my 600 die quietly.)

the dr-1 replaced the dragon. it was nak's last top-flight deck. i am thrilled that i bought it when i did, because you cannot find them anymore - and i have kept mine in excellent/mint condition. so it is ripe for some transfer action...
December 30th, 2004 09:32 PM
Soldatti I just heard the show: a-ma-zing.
Thanks for sharing it.
Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood