ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RCA Studios. Los Ángeles, CA - May 18, 1965
© 2002
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Brown Sugar Live Return to archive
12-29-03 03:57 PM
StrangeStrayCat What are your thoughts about why Mick always replaces the feminine with the masculine when singing Brown Sugar live? ("Just like a black boy should?")

My impression is that he's trying to be a bit more shocking.
12-29-03 03:58 PM
jb Mick es muy macho....y tu?
12-29-03 04:00 PM
StrangeStrayCat Io sono machissimissimo.
12-29-03 04:00 PM
morocco You may be right. However the line, "Just like a black boy should" is much easier to sing. It has alliteration, and ends in an open vowel sound. Frankly, it is more musical to sing it this way.

Try speaking the two lines to yourself. Which one is more delightful to say?
12-29-03 04:06 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
jb wrote:
Mick es muy macho....y tu?

Why is Josh speaking Spanish?
12-29-03 04:19 PM
T&A don't ask why - just be glad he's moved past saying stupid things in English for the time-being!
12-29-03 04:21 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
T&A wrote:
don't ask why - just be glad he's moved past saying stupid things in English for the time-being!

The English stuff I could read. But this. I know a little Spanish tho. Just wait till he'll switch to Russian!
12-29-03 04:25 PM
T&A well, when Josh finally settles on a language none of us knows, then we can relax and not have bother to read his idiotic remarks. Josh - you don't know Swahili by any chance?
12-29-03 04:27 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
T&A wrote:
well, when Josh finally settles on a language none of us knows, then we can relax and not have bother to read his idiotic remarks. Josh - you don't know Swahili by any chance?

Well, I know Swahili, so that is not an option. We have to find a language none of us knows.
12-29-03 04:47 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i have NEVER heard mick sing that song with anything other than "just like a black boy should" ( sometimes it's "black man", but rarely when it's done LIVE.)
12-29-03 04:49 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
i have NEVER heard mick sing that song with anything other than "just like a black boy should" ( sometimes it's "black man", but rarely when it's done LIVE.)

He sang black girl in the 70's. I remember that very well.
12-29-03 06:34 PM
StrangeStrayCat I remember him singing "Black Boy/Man" live as far back as I can remember, but if that's the defacto correct lyric it's interesting that he recorded "Black Girl" on the album version!
12-29-03 06:40 PM
glencar Who cares what he sings? It's one song I wish they would retire for a tour or two. All horns these days.
12-29-03 11:46 PM
Zack My question is, why does he almost never sing "hear him whip the women," which he never did even as early as the 71 UK tour. Anyone know if he sang the original at Altamont?
12-30-03 03:12 AM
FotiniD
quote:
glencar wrote:
It's one song I wish they would retire for a tour or two. All horns these days.

Yes, one too many horns!!! It totally strips the song off its character and it's been my complaint for years now!

And may I be so stuck-up to say I'd LOVE to hear Keith singing every second line too. Ah, dreams.