ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RCA Studios. Los Ángeles, CA - May 18, 1965
© 2002
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Only One Problem With Four Flicks... Return to archive
12-28-03 10:01 PM
Soul Survivor I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already, but I'll go ahead and say it anyway. Why on earth is each show (The arena, stadium, and theater discs) cut short by 3 songs. 3 songs are missing from each show! Why! I can live with it, but it kind of ruins a little bit of the excitement to know you dont have a full show

By the way, the documentary is perfect
12-28-03 10:30 PM
glencar Maybe it was to cut down on repetition?
12-28-03 11:22 PM
MP IMO they should have had more theatre shows on Four Flicks...the Olympia rocked....best of the whole lot out of the four....they could have scraped Madison Sq. G.....i didn't even watch all of that....if I hear JJF one more time...
12-29-03 12:04 AM
Steel Wheels Each show was important to the band, as well as reflecting the small, medium, and large concept.

I would have skipped the HBO show - I've seen it 1 million times and I also was in the crowd that night. Give me Roseland instead.

I think editing the hell out of Burke's performance with band interviews was disgraceful.
12-29-03 01:35 AM
Stonesthrow I would agree with Glencar about editing on Four Flicks due to repetition. Because of the deletions, the following songs appeared only on the arena show: Don't Stop, If You Can't Rock Me, Angie, Let It Bleed, Midnight Rambler, Thru and Thru, Happy, IORR, Monkey Man, When the Whip Comes Down, and CYHMK. The stadium show was the only one with Rocks Off, Wild Horses, Paint It Black, Tumbling Dice, Slipping Away, Sympathy For The Devil, Star Star, I Just Want To Make Love To You, and Gimme Shelter. Sixteen of the 19 songs on the theatre show were unique to that show. The only songs common to all three were warhorses Jumpin' Jack Flash, Brown Sugar, and Honky Tonk Women.
12-29-03 09:20 AM
LuckyWithTheLadies I figured the HBO special was released because it was already "released." It was already out there in professional digital quality just waiting to pirated, as was the Bridges to Babylon TV Special/DVD. I haven't followed this tour very closely, but I assumed the Twickenham show was a UK TV special and the Paris one a Paris TV special. But that is a quess. I am sure there are people here who know that sort of thing.

Following the same logic I figured that that is why the so called bootlegs were included as DVD extras: to take the wind out of bootleggers that want to increase their sells by bootlegging shows that include odd songs.

Steel Wheels is so right. Cutting the Rev. Burke's performance was criminal. I can understand cutting AC/DC's, because sadly it really wasn't that good. God knows I love both bands. But allstar jams never work, especially the ones with 4 quitar players on stage.
12-29-03 09:25 AM
glencar The Twick & Olympia shows were not TV specials but the one that got canceled in Amsterdam was scheduled for TV before the cancellation. I assume the HBO show was included because the band was pleased with its performance. If they record most shows, I don't think it would have cost them much at all to change the arena show from HBO to any other one.
12-29-03 10:55 AM
T&A they were under contractual obligation to HBO to release that show - they had no choice.

as to other problems with FF (and, these are relatively minor complaints), they did not include some of the highlight tunes of the tour:

Love in Vain
Mannish Boy
Loving Cup
All Down the Line

I actually thought the 4 guitarists (with ACDC) worked wonderfully well. The Enmore version is positively sublime.
12-29-03 11:07 AM
glencar Loving Cup in Boston was pretty choppy. It did get better later on but I miss Mannish Blues most of all. It was nice of the boys to give us those extra 6 songs on the documentary DVD.