ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RCA Studios. Los Ángeles, CA - May 18, 1965
© 2002
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: rediscovering get yer ya-ya's out! (seriously) Return to archive
12-27-03 11:22 AM
egon i bought 16 of the remastered albums this weekend, which now means that i have about 14 albums double.

I decided to give some to my friend who just had her birthday.

so i showed up at her house last night and gave her "let it bleed", "beggars banquet" and.... "ya-ya's", which she immediately put on.

For some reason i never liked the album that much, and the last time i played i must have been a good 7 years ago.

But let me tell ya-yah; it really is a kick ass album!
(not that i'm telling YOU anything new of course)

what a cock i've been all these years,
This has truely been a case of 'rediscovering'.

Anbd guess what's playing right now?
12-27-03 11:33 AM
glencar Rediscovering "Still Life" next?
12-27-03 11:45 AM
egon gleny!

no my friend, still live is well known to me.

can you believe what a dick i've been all these years?
how could i have ever overlooked this jewel?
12-27-03 11:50 AM
Mr. D I cant believe you man, that album rocks-especially the 'Rambler"-"Sympathy" back to back. As we talk about it, I guess I'll put the damn thing on, why not. Hey, you may have rediscovered it now, but at least you were able to discover and enjoy it at all, as there's some sad folks out there who will never discover it.
12-27-03 11:58 AM
egon please feel free to call me a cock for the rest of the week, i deserve it
12-27-03 12:13 PM
morocco egon,

Ya Yas is one of the few Stones albums I owned before the remastered edtions came out. What is the sonic difference between the original version and the remastered version?

I'm a firm believer in buying the remastered versions of albums, unlike some, because I can usually hear a real improvement in sound.
12-27-03 12:21 PM
egon the new ones come with a certificate of authenticity,
which if you collect them all make one big poster!
12-27-03 12:29 PM
morocco
quote:
egon wrote:
the new ones come with a certificate of authenticity,
which if you collect them all make one big poster!

Okay, that's nice. But does it sound better? Or is this a subtle way of saying there is little sound difference?
12-27-03 12:35 PM
egon morocco, i feel you do nothing else than take the piss out of everyone, hence my stupid answer.

in every post you ask a question, but answer it yourself.

What is the sonic difference between the original version and the remastered version?

because I can usually hear a real improvement in sound.

so i just won't take you too seriously untill you prove me wrong.
12-27-03 12:41 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
morocco wrote:

Okay, that's nice. But does it sound better? Or is this a subtle way of saying there is little sound difference?

Typical. Of course, that question was discussed in a thread just a few lines below. And no, I'm not going to point it to you, morocco! Do your own thinking!
12-27-03 12:46 PM
morocco
quote:
egon wrote:
morocco, i feel you do nothing else than take the piss out of everyone, hence my stupid answer.

"because I can usually hear a real improvement in sound."

so i just won't take you too seriously untill you prove me wrong.

True, I can usually hear a real difference in sound, if I have both versions.
12-27-03 12:49 PM
egon so there you go!

and indeed that goes for all the remasters.

though do not know how much the sacd format is a
improvement to the normal remasters as do not have a sacd player yet.
12-27-03 12:54 PM
morocco I remember the first time I heard the live version of Honky Tonk Women from Ya Yas.

I was 18, hitchhiking to Florida. I got in someone's car, someone cool, and I heard on the stereo Mick say, "Charlie's good tonight" and then the intro seemed to go on forever.
[Edited by morocco]
12-27-03 12:58 PM
Nasty Habits Were you high?
12-27-03 03:43 PM
Mr. D Geez, its like moroccos become the whipping boy of this place the last week or so.
12-27-03 03:50 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Mr. D wrote:
Geez, its like moroccos become the whipping boy of this place the last week or so.

I was seriously asking! Some of my favorite experiences with Get Yer Ya Ya's Out involve a car, a joint, and guitar statements that seem to go on forever!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
12-27-03 03:56 PM
Mr. D The observation wasnt't meant towards you, Nasty Habits, but to everyone-it's like every single thread the last few days (which happen to be the first few ive actually posted) has turned into morocco getting flamed, then coming back at the person, and so on. It's really a drag to see every thread that may actually have a shimmer of hope to be discussed turn into mudslinging. I haven't taken any sides on this whole thing (what is this, 3rd grade), but it has to stop somehow, and soon, before it escalates into more b.s.
12-27-03 04:20 PM
morocco
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

I was seriously asking! Some of my favorite experiences with Get Yer Ya Ya's Out involve a car, a joint, and guitar statements that seem to go on forever!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]

I may have been high but I don't think so. I remember on that trip, someone pulled out a joint but I think it was a few rides after I heard the song.
12-27-03 06:42 PM
kahoosier I agree Mr. D, it is like people laying in wait to pounce on him. He is new to the site and eager, maybe over eager, but instead of being welcomed he is attacked by some smug know it all people who do not have time to answer his sincere questions but DO have time to criticize and complain. I mean Jesus, when you guys were in school way back when, were you the bullies that alwasy picked on the new kid because he was a bit different?
12-28-03 08:55 AM
Zack I got the Ya Ya's remaster for Christmas. It was the last one of the series I needed to get. But I can't find any of the the other certificates of authenticity to make the fucking poster! I have a feeling it might have been the SMR cover, though.

The sonic improvement of this album is among the most profound of the series. The muddiness of Carol is cleaned up, and MT's solo on SFTD seems much louder and clearer somehow. That, and MR and LIV, are among the greatest tracks in the Stones oeuvre (man that's tough to spell!) They are all arranged differently enough from the studio versions to be judged apart.

While I'm on the subject, I beg to differ with people who say LiveR Than You'll Ever B blows Ya-Ya's away. It doesn't. It's certainly a more accurate document of the tour, and in astonishing quality for a 1969 audience recording, but the sound and performance on (especially the new) Ya-Ya's is much better. I don't care that the quips are spliced in from different places. "You don't want my trousers to fall down, do you?" - "paint it black, you devils" - "Charlie's good tonight, inne?" are all terrific one liners and help make the album great. I would be more alarmed about overdubs if it were more than just the vocals, but it's not. All the guitars are live, as you can tell listening to the Baltimore and 11-27 MSG shows (I don't have the 28th).

My two cents, and not a word about Morocco!
12-28-03 01:19 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
Mr. D wrote:
Geez, its like moroccos become the whipping boy of this place the last week or so.

But morocco just looooves being a target. It's something she brings upon herself to a large extant, asking silly questions (and not taking note of answers) until people lose their tempers. Then she can cry "Hey, what did I do?" or "Why do you all hate me?"
But it's all a game, really.
12-28-03 01:23 PM
Moonisup
quote:
kahoosier wrote:
He is new to the site and eager, maybe over eager, but instead of being welcomed he is attacked by some smug know it all people who do not have time to answer his sincere questions but DO have time to criticize and complain. I mean Jesus, when you guys were in school way back when, were you the bullies that alwasy picked on the new kid because he was a bit different?

He's only attacked by shine a light, well who takes her seriously? She wasn't banned for nothing over at Doug's site!

rik
[Edited by Moonisup]