ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RCA Studios. Los Ángeles, CA - May 18, 1965
© 2002
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: remastered box set Return to archive
12-26-03 11:10 AM
egon I've done it, I bought it as a xmas present vor myself.
Expensive (284 euro), but definitely worth it.

unfortunately, although it's presented as the UK box set, it still doesn not include the very 1st album.
12-26-03 11:53 AM
mac_daddy box set of what? the dual layer abcko releases? those are sweet. I am buying them one by one. The regular CD audio is stellar, and worth the value alone to warrant the purchases. But the SACD stuff, when you move up to that arena, can be jaw dropping. if you are not referring to these reissues, what set are you referring to?

12-26-03 01:46 PM
egon 16 cds in scad format.
it comes with a little booklet and a couple of postcards.
the box itself is nothing special, but the price per cd
(284 for 16 cd's is not bad)

more info here
http://www.iorr.org/abkco/index.htm#boxset

cheers,

egon
[Edited by egon]
12-26-03 01:50 PM
mac_daddy those are the ones! now to be complete you just need the "out of our heads" "aftermath" and "btwn the buttons" US versions

enjoy!

I think these discs sound marvelous - and the difference is noticeable even on the CDDA layer.

egon, do you have a SACD player yet?
[Edited by mac_daddy]
12-26-03 01:57 PM
egon and between the buttons US, hot rocks, more hot rocks, & single collection.

i'm thinking of either buying just a sacd player, or a dvd player that plays everything...

in principal you do not need a surround system for sacd, do you?
12-26-03 02:02 PM
mac_daddy the stones reissues are 2 channel SACD. This means that a stereo setup is all that is reuired. The player plugs into existing 2 channel hifi equipment.

the music was recorded for L/R speaker setup, and that is the way these reissues have been remastered and produced.

for the stones SACDs, a two channel setup is all that is required (w/ a SACD player attached as a source, of course).
12-26-03 02:06 PM
egon thanks!

i think i will buy a dvd player that can do sacd as well.
that way i'm covered with just one machine
12-26-03 02:13 PM
mac_daddy those players are going to be the norm for most folks (some of us will continue to mod the machines, upgrading opamps, the DAC and the like - but that is certainly not mainstream)...

the one thing to note - most DVD-A is multichannel (5.1 or 6.1). Some SACDs are multi-channel (thankfully the Stones reissues are NOT). My point is that to get the full use out of a DVD_A/SACD player, the unit will have to be connected to a surround amplification system that can handle Dolby 5.1
12-26-03 02:23 PM
egon thanks for the info.

cheers
12-27-03 11:41 AM
egon macy,

been looking around again today, but haven't quite figured out what to buy yet.

maybe you can givce some advise;

i want a sacd player for my cd's and a surround system for my tv.

i do not want to buy a new (surround) amp with expensive speakers because the 'old' stereo amp & speakers i already have are fantastic.

i've been thinking about buying a new dvd player which also plays sacd and hook that up to my stereo, and to buy a simple surround system which i hook directly to the dvd player.

this way i listen to music via my (old) stereo system and watch tv via the surround system.

what do you think?
12-27-03 12:27 PM
T&A I got an SACD player for Xmas. Primarily for the Dylan and Stones reissues. Some of the Dylan's have a 5.1 version in addition to the 2-channel SACD layer. I don't have a 5.1 receiver and really don't need one. Music really isn't intended for 5.1 listening, IMO, anyway. The Stones and Dylan catalogues sound fantastic on the 2-layer SACD.
12-27-03 12:30 PM
egon it just get's more and more confusing doesn't it?
stereo, sacd, surround, digital surround, dolby pro, 5.1, 6.1....

and then you finally buy a certain system and the next year they come with something new.