ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

RCA Studios. Los Ángeles, CA - May 18, 1965
© 2002
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Help for Morocco........... Return to archive
12-25-03 10:42 PM
SHINE A LIGHT here's the deal, at least i speak for myself. i have spent a LIFETIME accumulating tons of stones' knowledge....through the music,lining up for days on end in the rain/snow/heat/cool just to get the wristband then doin' it all over again to get the tickets,cutting and saving every single news item i could/can find, buying every single book that comes out about them, reading the books,magazines.....building my home into a veritable "museum".....it's endless. it's complete immersion into the topic, the stones!!!!! i even have a bank account ready for the travelling involved in the next tour. IT'S A FRIGGIN LIFESTYLE!!

you cannot acquire all of that with some questions,please start living it.

i'm fairly certain many others here have done the same in order to have all the kind of "knowledge" you are seeking.

i wish you good luck on this journey.....man, it's quite the trip!
12-25-03 11:20 PM
Mr. D Good luck, Morocco. It'll be a long, great journey, im sure(hell, im not even close to being done mine), but trust me, as a Stones fan, theres nothing better then getting album after album and discovering great songs by the Stones you had never heard of before, then listening to them just as much as the ones you hear on the radio day after day. And it gets even better when you see the boys live the first time. Theres nothing like when that first note is hit, and you are in heaven, at least for 2 hours. Good luck and I hope you pick up a few more classic albums over the next few weeks.
12-26-03 01:06 AM
Zack I agree the thrill of new acquistions should be savored slowly. The only letdown I remember feeling is after I realized I owned every album the Stones put out. Thank god for bootlegs.

Morocco if you email me I will send you a few boots to get you started.

Books I recommend include Stanley Booth's True Adventures of the Rolling Stones, Stephen Davis' Old Gods Almost Dead (some inaccuracies and even hostility, but a good career-spanning summation), Tony Sanchez' Up and Down With the Rolling Stones (total sensationalism but a great read) Victor Bockris' Keith Richards: A Biography, and Robert Greenfield's STP about the 72 tour.
12-26-03 07:00 AM
morocco Thanks for the help and advice. It is exciting to know that there are many Stones albums to go for me. I just got Black And Blue and Goat's Head Soup.

To me, some of the lesser known,later, Stones albums are the best.

[Edited by morocco]
12-26-03 10:02 AM
SHINE A LIGHT the books named in an above post are just filled with the gossip-y crap.....but, if that's what you're lookin' for....
12-26-03 10:24 AM
SHINE A LIGHT moroc. i posed a few questions to you on another thread....forget which one as there are so many. kindly respond to my questions.....you say you read all of our responses here. thanks in advance.
12-26-03 12:42 PM
morocco I just picked up Booth's and Bockris' books on Keith Richards. I'm looking forward to reading them at work.
12-26-03 12:43 PM
morocco
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
moroc. i posed a few questions to you on another thread....forget which one as there are so many. kindly respond to my questions.....you say you read all of our responses here. thanks in advance.

Which thread is it? Since you posed the questions it should be easier for you to find than me. Thanks in advance.
12-26-03 01:39 PM
SHINE A LIGHT on one of YOUR threads. you want the answers. please search your threads!!
12-26-03 11:49 PM
Zack Sure Sanchez and Davis are gossipy crap, but they've both got a lot of information in them. There are much worse Stones books. Greenfield's not crap, andI forgot to mention Stanley Booth's True Adventures, which is not crap either.

SIL, what books would you recommned, then?

Also, I forgot to tell Morocco that Gimme Shelter is required viewing.
12-27-03 07:07 PM
SHINE A LIGHT i've been asked which books would i recommend....well, the new sandford book is just more same-old, same-old. save your money. the reason i dislike the spanish tony book is because keith has spoken out directly against it and its "ghost writer", saying a great deal of the book is pure fiction taken from a few real facts. i must confess, it was an easy read, as mick would say....a beach book!
12-27-03 09:35 PM
tumblingdice Here is what I did, back in about 1990, when I was first into the Stones, buying an album or two or three at the time. Find Bill Wyman's book Stone Alone and read it. Sure it has some boo hooing by Bill, but it is a very good history or the 60's Stones from an insider and shares alot about the recording of some songs. I found myself looking for those albums just to hear those songs, and it will also turn you on to some great tunes from those early years. I remember going through my Brian Jones period for awhile, listening to just those then switching to Taylor period and then Wood period, then back again and again and again..............till you find the boots and stay in that world for awhile. There is enough to keep you busy for years.
12-28-03 02:12 AM
beer
quote:
SHINE A LIGHT wrote:
the reason i dislike the spanish tony book is because keith has spoken out directly against it and its "ghost writer", saying a great deal of the book is pure fiction taken from a few real facts. i must confess, it was an easy read, as mick would say....a beach book!

of course keith would say it's fiction, it makes him look like a real asshole in some parts. lets keep in mind that keith has also never let the truth get in the way of a good story either.
12-28-03 07:00 AM
morocco yea, I've read the Tony Sanchez and it makes Keith look diabolical. A real prick.
I wouldn't expect a millionaire herion addict rock star to act like Mother Theresa, though.

Right now, I'm rereading the Bockris book on Keith and have picked up Stanley Boothe's book on Keith.
12-28-03 10:35 PM
glencar The Barbara Charone book on Keith was very good. And David Dalton's book on the Stones was good but I think it's now out of print.