ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Shooting "I Go Wild" January 1995
Templo de San Lázaro, La Candelaria. México City, D.F.
Premier Appearance of this photo, courtesy of Fernando Aceves to Rocks Off - Gracias Fernando!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rocks Off radio station Return to archive
01-01-03 10:01 PM
Fiji Joe Has anyone given any thought to setting up a Rocks Off internet radio station?...like through 365live.com?...It would have to be someone with a fairly large collection...

I would be willing to make a finacial contribution to anyone industrious enough to tackle such a project...you know, chip in on server fees or other expenses...
01-01-03 11:32 PM
stonedinaustralia feej - max has floated the idea - were you here when all the talk was about KMAX?? - the idea was for a "normal" station but maybe the internet is a good place to start

one point of discussion was should it be entirely stones or rather stones music plus related music i.e. a healthy mix of blues, soul etc. or any music for that matter which can somehow be connected or related to the stones

the programme directors spot would be hotly sought by many -maybe those duties could be rotated amongst the memebers

what does setting up such a station entail??
01-01-03 11:39 PM
Fiji Joe Yes SIA, that's how I would envision the station...mostly Stones, w/ some blues spattered about, hell, we could even have some of our resident musicians offer some of theor original work...

I looked at www.shoutcast.com and setting up a rudimentary station is free...there is a limit of listeners at one time, anywhere from 10-100 at one time which is plenty for an internet station...

I simply don't have the music nor the broadband to make it happen
01-01-03 11:44 PM
Soul Survivor we could only play official stuff.....right?
01-01-03 11:47 PM
Stonesthrow If there were to be such an internet station, one expense to be considered is the fairly substantial royalty fee charged for playing music. There was a court ruling re internet station royalty fees a few months back. Ask the I.P. man, Nanker, about it.
01-01-03 11:51 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl I have explored this since 1999, in fact I have co-produced four webcasts in memory of Brian Jones. To do it, in the way we have with the radio stations at the top of the board (Channels 2-4) he sofware is expensive and you need a very good internet connection.

Some free options as the one proposed by Fiji are complicated and they add some pop ups with commercial as some commercial during the webcast. At least it was some years ago when Gary Paranzino (the owner of the late http://www.micktaylor.com) made a Mick Taylor-only webradio station. It was also hard to listen without interruptions, but on those days I had an old 56 K modem and phone internet.

Is a great idea, but a lot of money and hard work behind the project. Go ahead
01-01-03 11:51 PM
stonedinaustralia good point stonesthrow - how long would a pirate station last??

i guess, ultimately, 'tho some "real" person would have to sign off on the bottom line somewhere and thus be legally and financially responsible for the station??..is that right??...i don't know

anyone else know much about it??
01-01-03 11:54 PM
Fiji Joe I suppose this would all have to be very discrete...like not talk about on the board discrete...It seems VooDoo has done some leg work...but if any one else has ideas
01-01-03 11:56 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl While I wrote my message you wrote yours Stonesthrow, as far as I know, if the radio station has no commercials, the rates are ZERO, but I'm not sure.

Also since the web is WWW you're dealing with a lot of intenational rules, but of course you can block the access from some countries...
01-01-03 11:59 PM
Fiji Joe I can tell you, that I was listening to some Hendrix boots on shoutcast about an hour ago
01-02-03 02:40 AM
JumpinJackFlash yeah, that would be cool, then you could listen to some boot's and know what your buying before you pay for it. I've got a fee email's from Bill German, and he has some kind of radio thing that happens once in awhile, kind of like his beggers banquet paper he had. I'm sure there is pirate internet radio all the time, seems there's pirate everything, but I don't imagine you'd be in trouble playing boot's because your not asking for money for it
It would be a private club kind of deal I imagine.
01-02-03 09:53 AM
nankerphelge Ah copyright...

The federal court in Philly considered the issue in 2001.

A royalty has to be paid if it is a subscription webcasting. The owner of the sound recording copyright does have a limited public performance right, but under the most recent amendment to the Copyright Act, the owner cannot prevent a webcaster from playing the sound recording -- the statute compels the owner to grant a license at a reasonable rate as determined in a proceeding run by the Copyright Office (a CARP). No idea how much that would be!

The case is Bonneville International Corp. v. Peters, 153 F. Supp. 2d 763 (E.D. Pa 2001) for those interested.