ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Shooting "I Go Wild" January 1995
Templo de San Lázaro, La Candelaria. México City, D.F.
Premier Appearance of this photo, courtesy of Fernando Aceves to Rocks Off - Gracias Fernando!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Frig' it up...HOT STUFF!! Return to archive
12-31-02 09:42 PM
Maxlugar Friends, I've listen to quite a bit tongiht already.

Two new Jeff Beck boots (Jeff BEck group '71 and live with Carlos Santana '86)

Then I listened to Exile and No Security.

Then....

I played Goddess In the Doorway in it's entirty.

Let me tell you folks, this is aging rather well.

Mick is bareing his souls here. Do you not care?

It's a fine albeyum!

I'm sure EVERYONE can agree on that!

Bucketbelly!!!
[Edited by Maxlugar]
12-31-02 10:04 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Goddess in the Doorway is a masterpiece, for me is the best Jagger solo album and maybe the best stone solo...

and the instrumental version of Goddess and Blue are the best outtakes ever.

12-31-02 10:11 PM
Maxlugar That is why you are my best friend from Mexico!

Viva El Mexico!!!

Tequila in the Subterranean Tavern at Casa De Maxy flows freely whilst I think of you amigo!

YES!!!

MACKY!!
12-31-02 10:13 PM
Boomhauer Everybody Getting High is an rump shaker song.
12-31-02 10:58 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Goddess suffers incredibly from Mick's pop production values and his often terrible lyrical stuff. His songs don't always have 'hooks' - he needs Keith (and to a lesser extent Ronnie, who tends to fix songs when neither of the Glimmer Twins can make it work - hence "One Hit", etc.)

There is one real Stones-quality song. "God Gave Me Everything" is a nice rocker. "Visions Of Paradise" isn't bad.

I have to buy Wandering Spirit, though. I'm told it's a very good album. Mick going back to his roots or something like that.

As for the best Stones solo album... Hmm. From the ones I've heard, that's a tossup between Talk Is Cheap and I've Got My Own Album To Do (which doesn't really count - it's basically a Stones album and was recorded before Ronnie was a Stone).

I like Keith's most forgiving description of Goddess best... it's a collection of unfinished songs. "Don't Stop" and "Stealing My Heart" are good songs because they were Mick numbers with Keith's doctoring to bring 'em back down from Pop into Rock'n'roll as much as he could.

I'm still pissed at the basic synth underlay on "Don't Stop", though. It comes out in the bridge and pisses me off every time, that synth choir. Gawd, I hate it.

-tSYX --- Well I'm losin' you, I know your heart is miles away... (aahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh [annoying sound]) (bwayywww bah-dah-dahywww... [Killer Ronnie playing briefly obscuring])
12-31-02 11:04 PM
~AzQb

ooooooooooooo YoUnGTiZz!!

Were you nominated for "Smartest"?

You shoulda been if you weren't!

~
12-31-02 11:04 PM
Fiji Joe My impression after my first listen...not bad...over produced and could have been so much better...I'll listen to Goddess again..
12-31-02 11:16 PM
tumblingdice I loved GITD from the day it came out, great songs and real feeling. YoungXyxxy you should get Wandering Spirit the next time you buy an album. It is a great one also. Makes you wonder how good it would have been if all the Stones were part of that album.
12-31-02 11:18 PM
Soul Survivor I think "Too Far Gone" has a Stonsey sound to it
12-31-02 11:44 PM
Maxlugar Anyone commenting on Mick's solo stuff without owning Wandering Spirit is simply odd.

Savage boy, if your opinions are to be taken seriously, please own all albums.

01-01-03 05:42 AM
luxury1 Yes, Savage Young Thing--the best is I Can Feel the Fire--I wore that out on vinyl.
And I do like Goddess, and yes it is over-produced, and sometimes Mick's lyrics are downright sappy, but Max said it perfectly--MIck is baring his soul here, and I think there are more frequent shining moments on the CD than crappy ones. And yes, Mick does need Keith to throw the "faerie dust" on his stuff--butches it up a little for him.
01-01-03 08:47 AM
Monkey Woman Max, thank you for this thread!
I love Mick's last two solo albums, GITD and Wandering Spirit. Sure, they're not all a Stones album should be but, hey, that's not what they pretend to be...
Mick tends to be very eclectic on his solo albums. Rockers, ballads, blues, countryish or funky numbers, even a little hip-hop or caribbean rythms. I like the fact that he can sing nearly anything, and fill it with heartfelt emotion. And few of GITD tracks (if any) are actually overproduced. Seems to me that they have just the amount of production needed. They are just not Rolling Stones songs, so most hardcore fans won't like them.

Wandering Spirit is different, too, but retains a lot of the feel of a RS album: the raw, edgy sound, the bluesy atmosphere, the ever-present humour. Put it in the CD player and thoses songs will jump at you like little devils!
01-01-03 12:03 PM
Nasty Habits I looooove Wandering Spirit -- Love it love it love it. If there is anything wrong with Goddess -- other than the techno angle which shows a lot less facility for that sort of thing than "Might As Well Get Juiced" or some of the more successful production tricks on B2B might indicate -- it's that it is a disappointing follow up to Wandering Spirit, which for me is the best Stones solo album and definitely features Jagger's best lyrics since Dirty Work. A Stones record with "Don't Tear Me Up", "Put Me in the Trash", "Wandering Spirit", "Evening Gown", a non Kravitized cover of "Use Me", and "Out of Focus" at its core would be a heavy record indeed.

Hideaway, Lucky Day, Too Far Gone, GGME, Gun, and Joy are songs that I ended up playing OFTEN, and that CD stayed in my car for quite some time. Aside from Too Far Gone, however, it never achieved more than "guilty pleasure" status for me. I could never get enthusiastic enough to recommend it to anyone but a Stones fan, and that for me is a sign that it's not a "great" record. But I like it.

I came to Rocks Off! because the controversy surrounding Goddess in the Doorway and its attendant promotional oddities (Being Mick, Rolling Stone Five star review) left me in a twisted and confused state of Stonesian consciousness. For that Goddess will always have a special place in my heart.

BTW Bucketbelly -- how did No Security treat you? I recently filled out a CD with the four new "songs" from 40 Licks with highlights from that album, and I have been hooked on it. That cover of Corinna is amazing and Out of Control, lord have mercy, there are just no words for it.

STONES!

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
01-01-03 12:20 PM
Factory Girl Savage Young One, you must get a copy of "Wandering Spirit"-it is Jagger's best solo effort. "Evening Gown" song is a contry-esque masterpiece.

I should give "Goddess" another chance. I kind of like it initially, but it didn't grab me. However, "GGME" is a great tune.
01-01-03 12:30 PM
full moon What is the deal with Primitive Cool?? Is it any good????
01-01-03 12:54 PM
Factory Girl Primitive Cool is not very good. I think "She's the Boss" is better, but also not very good. However, the cover of "STB" is very nice...lol.
01-01-03 05:42 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
luxury1 wrote:
Yes, Savage Young Thing--the best is I Can Feel the Fire--I wore that out on vinyl.

Yeah! That's the start of 'the weave', right there, on "I Can Feel The Fire"... Keith and Ronnie tearin' it up together, before both of their voices gave out. Damn good album. Ronnie had a great voice before he lost it... a bit weaker than Keith's, but in the same vein. Now he sounds like

I've got Long Player in my player right now... another damn good album. It's got the only *good* cover of "Maybe I'm Amazed" that I've ever heard. Rod Stewart... God, what a wasted career. He got sucked into the Disco Horror and never recovered...

And the cover of First Step is priceless. He looks like he's about to burst into tears. Just a nervous little British kid.

quote:
And I do like Goddess, and yes it is over-produced, and sometimes Mick's lyrics are downright sappy, but Max said it perfectly--MIck is baring his soul here, and I think there are more frequent shining moments on the CD than crappy ones. And yes, Mick does need Keith to throw the "faerie dust" on his stuff--butches it up a little for him.

Ehh... the 'Shining Moments' are covered over by being overproduced. I think "Visions Of Paridise" coulda been a killer accoustic number, but Mick popped it up for the radio. He did the same thing with "Already Over Me", which makes "Always Suffering" so much more powerful, very quiet, Keith's backing vocal obscuring everyone else's.

And for the 'eclectic miss' arguement, I think Keith's slightly less eclectic mix on Talk Is Cheap yeilds much better results. I mean, c'mon, who can't admit loving "I Could Have Stood You Up"... it's like the 50s, except good.

-tSYX --- Burnin', Burnin', Burnin'...
01-01-03 06:37 PM
Fabio Hot Stuff Sorry, but for me it's "WANDERIN' SPIRIT" the real best solo of Mick.
I'm agree with Factory Girl, go to listen EVENIN GOWN...it's somethig special.
ciao Fabio
01-02-03 09:41 AM
Moonisup WS is the best MJ solo album!!

And yes FG Evening gown is great!!
"people say I'm a drinker, but I am sober half the time!
01-02-03 09:47 AM
F505 Wandering Spirit is simply the best Jagger solo. Much better than Dogshit on the doormat. Evening Gown and Wandering Spirit are great songs. Much better than many Stones songs of the last two decades.
01-02-03 09:52 AM
Moonisup Don't tear me up,

Yeah, some real great gems on WS.
GITD ain't my fav.
01-02-03 12:32 PM
the_vapor
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
I've got Long Player in my player right now... another damn good album. It's got the only *good* cover of "Maybe I'm Amazed" that I've ever heard. Rod Stewart... God, what a wasted career. He got sucked into the Disco Horror and never recovered...

I couldn't agree more about Rod. Really, what happened? Out of all of the people who've "lost it" over the years I think Rod has been the most consistently dissapointing, and has released some wretched albums during the last 30 years. I keep hoping that he'll do something worth while, or even listenable again, looks like I'm going to have a long wait...
01-02-03 02:52 PM
ChrisEditor GITD is pretty strong with Hideaway as the highlight...Don't Tear Me Up on WS is just as good...My two favorite Mick solo efforts.
01-02-03 04:17 PM
sasca I don´t know enough of Rod´s work to comment on it, but as a person I think he is one of the most engaging stars of his generation - neither politically correct nor (what is equally silly) politically incorrect but doing whatever he damn well feels like and enjoying it.
01-02-03 04:43 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
sasca wrote:
I don´t know enough of Rod´s work to comment on it, but as a person I think he is one of the most engaging stars of his generation - neither politically correct nor (what is equally silly) politically incorrect but doing whatever he damn well feels like and enjoying it.

Right. He was like that until the late 70s. Then he started getting paid by the record companies to do that, and do it using whatever trashy pop music was the fifteen minutes of fame at the time. He also handled superstardom very poorly - he was very whiny everywhere the cameras weren't as his image grew with the Faces (I've Got My Own Album To Do was made largely in response to Rod Stewart whining during the making of Ooh La La, after coming in two weeks late due to working on his own album, then griping about everything).

Gettin' back on topic...

I still don't like Goddess. It reminds me, if anything, of the stuff I've heard off of Harrison's Cloud Nine... some of it's great stuff, but it's just produced in such a way that it's limited to the time.

There is no saving the bad songs on Goddess, though. "Lucky Day"? Gimme a break! "Everybody Getting High" is like an even more unfinished and less enjoyable version of "Suck On The Jugular". "Joy"s got our buddy Trousers buried in there somewhere, but the production mires him along with Sir Mick.

-tSYX --- "Do you call him Sir Mick?" "Naw, we have other names for him..."