ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Shooting "I Go Wild" January 1995
Templo de San Lázaro, La Candelaria. México City, D.F.
Premier Appearance of this photo, courtesy of Fernando Aceves to Rocks Off - Gracias Fernando!!

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPAÑOL] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: FREE Concert in LA!? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
12-31-02 02:46 PM
Monkey Woman sparksWILLfly, I'm 100% with you on these matters.

Diversity in nature IS important, and we should care not only about animals and plants which are pretty or "useful" for today. The "uninteresting" creatures have more often than not been recognised in part as vital parts of an ecosystem. Like the "boring" algaes or bacteria that concentrate minerals and release them when they die, from nitrogen used in plant growth or iodine, essential to humman health.

And genetic diversity within a species can be vital too. I'm more familiar with problems in Europe, so I'll call one to mind: the elm-trees. In the 20th century, nearly all elms planted came from the same restricted genetic stock. The work of short-minded forest managers who thought only about efficiency. So when there came a tree-disease to wich the original elm had no genetic resistance, nearly EVERY elm-tree in Europe caught it and died. The surviving ones are, of course, from "wild" stock, with more diverse and robust genes.

Well, to make a long post short, let's simply say that ecosystems are more complicated than it seems at first sight. To fuck up with even part of one leads, more often than not, to damages bigger than we bargained for. And then, it's too late to go back.

That said, I'm glad there's no moss on our Rolling Stones.
Awareness of global issues like climate changes fits right in with rock 'n' roll, when you think about it. I'm sure the global temperature goes up a few degrees after a Stones show!
12-31-02 03:02 PM
Sir Stonesalot >and we should care not only about animals and plants which are pretty or "useful" for today<

Nope. Fuck 'em if they don't do us humans any good. Except for the Duckbilled Platypus. They are really funny to look at when I'm high on weed.

>Like the "boring" algaes or bacteria that concentrate minerals and release them when they die, from nitrogen used in plant growth or iodine, essential to humman health.<

Oh bullshit. Scientists can just whip up man made chemicals that will do the same thing...and if they can't, then they are shitty scientists.

>So when there came a tree-disease to wich the original elm had no genetic resistance, nearly EVERY elm-tree in Europe caught it and died.<

And this prevented them from planting more elm trees how?

>To fuck up with even part of one leads, more often than not, to damages bigger than we bargained for. And then, it's too late to go back.<

Oh NO! Dead elm trees and vanishing moss! It's the friggin' apocolypse!

Now get to work on making golf weather every day in PA.
12-31-02 04:50 PM
~AzQb
quote:
sasca wrote:
I, on the other hand, welcome you with open arms.

And NewBiE!

Watch scuzza's fly! that's open too, boy!

But on the other hand, if yer into necrophilia, Greek, and other such fun, he's yer man!

He doesn't live in Toronto, though. Damn.

~!RoTfL
01-02-03 12:29 PM
sasca I would mourn the loss of Stones music - why should I not mourn the loss of trees? Beauty is in many places.
01-02-03 01:34 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
I would mourn the loss of Stones music - why should I not mourn the loss of trees? Beauty is in many places.

Amen, Sasca!

That thread reminds me of something Keith said in an interview, a few years ago:
"What children do to you is grow you up, make you think, What the hell am I gonna leave behind when I'm gone? It's throwing them into a fucking cauldron of pollution... We can be so incredibly callous about ourselves. There are so many of us, and the forces of nature are relentless... None of the other choices so far look to me as attractive as this joint, but we're ready to suck it dry and shit on it in order to get a few off. We're just bigger ants... We've managed to perform this act in a few thousand years, the blink of an eye in evolution... We are totally at odds with the plants - apparently, they like a bit of music now and again; they've grown to like it - but we're the only ones willing to destroy the whole joint. We're sucking everything out of the ground, pushing all this shit up in the air. We're lucky if the jet stream comes back next year and if the fuckin' ozone layer doesn't close itself over real soon. We've had it all anyway; this is a global problem now. It's not like we don't know. We know it. We're so fuckin' smart. We know it, but we can't stop ourselves... I don't see any hope for us, honestly. And I'm saying to myself: I love my kids, what the hell am I putting them on the face of this planet for?"

(Thanks to the guys at Time Is On Our Side website, a great database of Stones infos. http://www.timeisonourside.com/universe2.html )

For those who would like to read a little more into the subject, there's some good guides and fact sheets on the site of the LA free concert promoters:
http://rollingstones.nrdc.org/globalwarming/
and for more links:
http://www.nrdc.org/globalwarming/brief.asp
Enjoy! I don't intend to force anyone to change their opinions. Just to spread the word a little...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5