ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Happy New Year! - Bonne et Heureuse Année! - Glückliches Neues Jahr!
Gelukkig Nieuw Jaar - Nuovo Anno Felice! - ¡ Feliz Año Nuevo Cabrones!
Чистяков - Ano Novo Feliz! - Hyvää Uutta Vuotta - Srecna Nova Godina !
Gott Nytt År! - 新年好 - 明けましておめでとう - 행복한 새로운 년

"Machine" Magazine, with thanks to Irina
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist OR start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rufus Thomas, Father of R&B, Dead at 84 Return to archive
12-15-01 10:57 PM
CS It is with tremendous sadness that I report the death this morning of the great Rufus Thomas. The father of soul music, a.k.a. rhythm and blues, who influenced so many stars, was 84. He lived in his hometown of Memphis.

With his daughter, Carla, Rufus had the first and really most important hits on the famed Stax record label—"Cause I Love You So" and "Nighttime is the Right Time." He also had a huge hit of his own in 1963, "Walking the Dog," which set the tone for a lot of modern soul and funk to come in the Sixties and Seventies. Everyone from Isaac Hayes to Sam & Dave, Wilson Pickett, and Ike and Tina Turner were in way or another inspired or taught by Rufus Thomas. The Rolling Stones even recorded "Walking the Dog" on their first album, proving that Rufus's reputation was known around the world. In Memphis there's a street named for him, a city historical plaque tells his story, and a statue of his likeness is on Beale Street.

Rufus was also a keen wit and a comic, billing himself as the "World's Oldest Teenager" as he commanded the airwaves in Memphis on WDIA Radio. His radio show, which he had done most recently with Jay Michael Davis, became a cult program for anyone interested in blues and laughter. He is credited with playing Elvis Presley's records on black radio before anyone.

I had the good fortune to meet Rufus and get to know him and Carla two summers ago for a feature documentary called Only the Strong Survive. He was still doing the weekly radio show, had just released a new album on the High Stacks label out of Memphis, and was gigging whenever possible. That weekend he and Carla performed at a benefit for Luther Ingram, the singer of "If Loving You Is Wrong (I Don't Want to Be Right)." Rufus was greeted by every single performer over the 12 hour concert with respect as Soul Man Eminence Grise, the King of Soul. Whether it was the late Johnny Taylor or a flock of gospel singers, they all wanted to meet him and shake his hand. He met each one with style and grace, accepting the honors they bestowed.

To us—and to all the people of Memphis—Rufus was one of a kind and the last real senior statesmen of soul. I don't think he had any regrets but he did tell me the one thing he hadn't done in his spectacular life was play the Apollo Theatre in Harlem. It's possible he'll turn up there on film next year, which wouldn't be so bad. But the documentary—directed by Chris Hegedus and DA Pennebaker (Startup.com, The War Room)—was not his first film. Rufus appeared in one movie by Jim Jarmusch (Mystery Train) and one by Robert Altman (Cookie's Fortune). He's one of the main players in the 1973 film about Stax Records called Wattstax and appeared in a highly underrated film called A Family Thing starring James Earl Jones in 1996.

Rufus leaves two children besides Carla—Marvell, his talented musician son, and Vaneese, an actress who lives in New York. His family was with him when he died.

12-15-01 11:19 PM
Cardinal Fang Rufus also appeared in this documentary I watched on PBS last night about Sun Records. It's really weird, I mean I just watched him on TV, LAST NIGHT. Now he's gone. Now who is going to show us how to walk the dog or who's gonna show us how to do the funky chicken?

Later, Cardinal Fang

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board.
The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.