ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Baron Wolman
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: James vs Mick - The hardest working man in show buisness Return to archive
27th December 2006 01:30 PM
steel driving hammer Discuss...
27th December 2006 01:31 PM
Some Guy SDH- The King of Post.
27th December 2006 01:42 PM
Dan I just knew someone would bring this up. I think Mick's touring and recording schedule speaks for itself. NOT EVEN CLOSE. Not even close to James Brown, or even just about any other touring artist on the road today or any other day.
27th December 2006 01:44 PM
Gazza There are lots of harder working men than Mick in showbusiness. Dylan, Springsteen, BB King and countless others.

Singing 16-17 songs onstage two to three times a week for about 60 shows a year isnt exactly punishing, lets face it.

27th December 2006 02:05 PM
The Wick This is like comparing George Bush with somebody who actually works for a living.
27th December 2006 02:13 PM
Factory Girl I think Mick works very hard-but he's a bit of a dabbler. He has the Stones, he works solo, he's done movies, movie soundtracks.

I know less about JB's career.

I think steelie is the hardest working poster!
27th December 2006 06:43 PM
fireontheplatter mick works very hard when he is on the rd performing for us. i am sure james did too. that was just a phrase they gave him.....i thought elton john was the hardest working man is show biz.

everybody say owwwwwww
27th December 2006 06:48 PM
Dan
quote:
fireontheplatter wrote:
mick works very hard when he is on the rd performing for us. i am sure james did too. that was just a phrase they gave him.....i thought elton john was the hardest working man is show biz.

everybody say owwwwwww

There are some people who do 200-300 gigs a year and literally live on the road. One thing that comes to mind is Mike Watt's mammoth 75 shows in 76 days tours that he often does, crisscrossing the country in a van with maybe 1 or 2 days off and also playing in numerous bands at the same time.

Elton John does seem to tour a lot though but also at a more comfortable pace.
27th December 2006 09:29 PM
batcave James Brown spent 30+ years doing 300-350 shows a year, most of them one night stands where ever there was a stage to take. Add to that a recording career of 80+ albums and God knows how many singles and Mr. Brown deserved that title.
28th December 2006 01:17 AM
Kilroy JAMES BROWN, By age alone beats Mickey.
28th December 2006 07:43 AM
Doxa
quote:
Gazza wrote:
There are lots of harder working men than Mick in showbusiness. Dylan, Springsteen, BB King and countless others.

Singing 16-17 songs onstage two to three times a week for about 60 shows a year isnt exactly punishing, lets face it.

Dear Gazza, you only mention the things Jagger does as an actual performer. What 'we' don't see is how much he does behind the scenes, to make the - wonderful, and in fact, incredible - performance possible. It's like judging an athletic to do about twelve 100 m run starts a year. And not just that - the guy personally organizes the bloody event he makes his 'runs'. Wasn't that the thing Townshend recently claimed Jagger to complain about, that he "do fuckin' everything"? (Also Pete's description of Mick's work ethics in R&R Circus: to do every little detail, take of almost everything and everyone, and finally able to concentrate to a wonferful performance speaks volumes). He is not any 'pure artist' like Keith Richards or Bob Dylan someone gives the dates, brings you there and throw you on the stage to find out what kind of mood are you on this night.

To have a crown for 'hardest working man in show business' I think also refers to the actual business side of things, to 'dirty work' so to say. And as a perfectionist, Mick seems to love it, to take care of "fuckin' everything".

- Doxa

[Edited by Doxa]
[Edited by Doxa]
28th December 2006 07:55 AM
Gazza I'd agree that his preparation and conditioning takes a lot of effort and dedication and its not just about the time he's onstage. However, I'd counter that with the argument that being onstage for 4 hours a week when the band ARE on tour,as well as travelling and living in 5-star luxury and with several days off hardly equates to 'hard work'. The offstage preparation doesnt require the same adrenalin and energy.

There's no doubt that when he's performing, he's putting a considerable amount of physical effort in (although I think that drumming for two hours straight would be pretty draining as well)

There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of artists and performers who are playing maybe 6 nights a week, travelling around in the back of some cramped tour buses or transit vans who are more deserving of such an accolade.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)