ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Baron Wolman
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ian Gillan on Ritchie Blackmore: 'That A**hole — I Will Never Speak To Him Again' Return to archive
26th December 2006 01:16 PM
Ten Thousand Motels IAN GILLAN On RITCHIE BLACKMORE: 'That A**hole — I Will Never Speak To Him Again' - Dec. 25, 2006
blabbermouthy.net

Charlie Steffens of KNAC.COM recently conducted an interview with DEEP PURPLE frontman Ian Gillan. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow:

KNAC.COM: Your relationship with most of your mates from DEEP PURPLE is good, obviously. Do you ever talk to Ritchie Blackmore?

Gillan: No, I don't talk to him at all. That asshole — I will never speak to him again, as far as I'm concerned. I loved Ritchie, though. I used to be his roommate and everything was fine. We all respect Ritchie for what he did — the foundation. But he turned into a weird guy and the day he walked out of the tour was the day the clouds disappeared and the day the sunshine came out and we haven't looked back since. And there are certain personal issues that I have with Ritchie, which means that I will never speak to him again. Nothing I'm going to discuss publicly, but deeply personal stuff. As far as I'm concerned, the divorce came a long time ago. I never want to see or hear of him again.

KNAC.COM: Joe Satriani came on board in '94, but you never actually had a release with his recordings, right?

Gillan: Joe came in at the last minute. Ritchie walked out and the tour was taking off to Japan…it was all very dramatic. He said, "Alright, that's the end of the band," and assumed because he left that we were going to fold up. The fact is, we were approaching terminal velocity in that moment. The band had never played so badly, the audiences had never been so small and the atmosphere was absolutely terrible. It was horrible. We could see the end in sight. We thought, "This is going to be our last tour. This is the end of the world." What an ignominious end to what was once a glittering band, you know? Anyway, he walked out and things picked up and recovered unbelievably, remarkably well and the band's in great shape now. Satriani never did anything other than help us out. He had an album to make and he had his own tour booked, so he only had a limited time with us. But I do remember spending many happy hours on the bus and on planes and in dressing rooms and in hotels with him. We're still friends now. He's a great guy. All the other guys, even Jon Lord — he retired from touring about five years ago. The band's a really close-knit family. We've got fantastically good friendships and relationships that have developed after all these years…40-odd years. In a day or two I'm going into the studio to sing a track on Jon Lord's new record so there's a great deal of friendship. But Ritchie…we wish him well. The wounds have healed. We're doing fine and we respect him for what he did. But personally speaking…forget him. His end of the road was a long time ago.

KNAC.COM: Are you friends with David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes?

Gillan: No. I know them, obviously, and I get on fine with them. I've only met David a couple times in parting. I've met Glenn a couple of times and I have great respect for him. He's a great musician, a great singer. Glenn's an extraordinarily talented man. But I wouldn't classify them as friends because I didn't develop any relationship with them because I was doing different things when they were in DEEP PURPLE. And to be honest, that was a weird period anyway, because I take these things extremely personally and I get quite emotional about things. When I left the band I didn't pay much attention to what PURPLE was doing — it's like watching your ex-Missus making love to some other guy. That doesn't turn me on.

Read the entire interview at KNAC.COM.

26th December 2006 02:13 PM
gypsy I only clicked on this thread because I thought it said, "Ian Billen on Ritchie Blackmore: 'That A**hole — I Will Never Speak To Him Again'"
26th December 2006 04:24 PM
TornAndFrayed Blackmore is a total lunatic.
I recently saw a video of one of their last shows with Ritchie in 1993. The band started without him, he came on stage later on, played an intentionally half-assed solo just to piss the other guys off, walked over to his amps, grabbed a couple of water bottles and threw them right at Ian Gillan.
It was the most pathetic thing I´ve ever seen: A 50-year-old guy throwing water bottles at his band mate. Thank god Mick & Keith didn´t sink so low.
27th December 2006 09:51 AM
Bitch Ian G sounds like a prick too. Two of a kind.
IMO
27th December 2006 09:18 PM
gotdablouse Yes or dumb, whatever does that mean "Satriani never did anything other than help us out", hum, ok, like what else was he going to do anyway ?

I have this old Q magazine with a hilarious article on DP, circa 1990 when Gillan had been kicked out for the second time and they had brought in Joe Lynn Turner from Rainbow "fame" to replace him. Blackmore said that having Gillan around was like having to deal with Benny Hill, he apparently made it a point to take his clothes off to embarass people...He also got drunk when he tried to convince Glover and Blackmore to reform the band in 1983 after his stint with Black Sabbath was short lived.

Purpendicular from 1996 is a pretty good album though.
28th December 2006 05:38 AM
FotiniD
quote:
TornAndFrayed wrote:
Thank god Mick & Keith didn´t sink so low.

Puts things in perspective, doesn't it?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)