ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Baron Wolman
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Mike Post Theme (nsc) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
7th December 2006 12:18 PM
Jumping Jack

[Edited by Jumping Jack]
7th December 2006 12:24 PM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:

[Edited by Jumping Jack]

Oooooooooooo !

That is some good Petey .......

This makes Joey EXCITED for this evening -- YES !!!!!!!
7th December 2006 12:29 PM
glencar Glory days be gone. See: Omaha tonight...Sad sad sad.
7th December 2006 12:45 PM
Joey " Glory days be gone. See: Omaha tonight...Sad sad sad. "

7th December 2006 12:46 PM
glencar They'll be mailing it in a la my mortgage payment...
7th December 2006 12:48 PM
Joey " They'll be mailing it in a la my mortgage payment..."

7th December 2006 12:53 PM
glencar
7th December 2006 03:04 PM
polytoxic
quote:
glencar wrote:
Glory days be gone. See: Omaha tonight...Sad sad sad.

Methinks not.
Does this sound like Glory days be gone?

http://www.nowtoronto.com/issues/2006-12-07/music_livereviews2.php

THE WHO'S MAJOR COUP
by Jason Wheeler Now Magazine

THE WHO with THE PRETENDERS at Air Canada Centre, December 4. Tickets: $60.75-$205.75. Attendance: sold out. Rating: NNNN

When Roger Daltrey stepped out on the Air Canada Centre stage carrying a steaming-hot mug of tea, you might have wondered if perhaps the Who are getting a little old.

But after sharp-cutting opener I Can't Explain, the pint-sized singer, dressed all in black, explained he was a bit under the weather and that his voice could be a tad shaky. "I'm owning up to the critics," as he put it, and then quickly added the caveat that he has "nothing to prove anyway."

Peter Townshend played as though he did, launching his first windmill of the night during the classic Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere. Townshend's windmills are absolutely electric. He's like a power station for the band, generating kinetic energy and igniting the crowd with every revolution of those crushingly gifted arms.

And for a 61-year-old man, he's impressively nimble. During the stadium-revving Who Are You and a few cuts from their unexpectedly decent new album, Endless Wire, Townshend ran around the stage, abusing his guitar, doing scissor-kick jumps. Daltrey, 62, was no slouch either, spryly contorting his body to the music and lassoing the mic, with mixed results.

Unlike the barely mobile Chrissie Hynde , whose Pretenders delivered a dozy opening set, the Two (as they've recently been nicknamed) looked like graduates of Mick Jagger's Institute for the Ageless.

After they played six quick ones from the Wire & Glass mini-opera, lime-green neon began flashing during the indelible opening synth arpeggio of Baba O'Riley, causing me and the grey and wizened community surrounding me to really lose it. As did drummer Zak Starkey (son of Ringo), who competently channelled Moon's drink-holding ghost, while studio ace Pino Palladino covered bottom end for the late great "Ox." Pete's brother Simon Townshend added some rhythm and vox.

They closed their set with monolithically large Won't Get Fooled Again, then quickly returned for a Tommy-dominated encore. As Townshend and Daltrey bowed to the standing masses, the jumbotron showed the pair looking genuinely touched by the torrential applause.

In Townshend's face you could see restrained emotions, as if this goodbye might be permanent. If so, it certainly was a joyous farewell.

7th December 2006 03:06 PM
glencar polytoxic, we have an ongoing joke about howe groups show up in Omaha & "mail it in." Carry on as you were...
7th December 2006 03:11 PM
Joey " In Townshend's face you could see restrained emotions, as if this goodbye might be permanent. If so, it certainly was a joyous farewell. "

NEVER !!!!!!

Tonight I see the " Chairman of the Board " !!!

YES !

7th December 2006 03:13 PM
polytoxic Thanks for the diplomacy there, Glencar.

As an avid Rocks Off reader I'm aware of the legend of being Omaha'd.
But I swears this time it won't happen.
It won't I tells ya!

The chain is about to be broken!

I feel an odd duty to give Joey every reason for optimism going into tonight.

7th December 2006 03:16 PM
glencar I feel every need to show him the truth. It's time he hightails it out of that square state.
7th December 2006 03:17 PM
Joey " As an avid Rocks Off reader I'm aware of the legend of being Omaha'd.
But I swears this time it won't happen.
It won't I tells ya! "

The Rolling Stones Concert in Omaha , NE was the BEST STONES EVER !!!!!!!!!!! --- the gig ROCKED and please ask all those who were in attendance -- They will back me up .

" I feel an odd duty to give Joey every reason for optimism going into tonight. "

Frig YEAH !!!!!!

BEST WHO YET !!!!

7th December 2006 03:18 PM
glencar Mailing it in, I'm a-just gonna mail it in hoo hoo hoo...
7th December 2006 03:41 PM
Joey
quote:
glencar wrote:
Mailing it in, I'm a-just gonna mail it in hoo hoo hoo...

Lil' Jackie
she's the one for you
she's the one for me
the one for everybody
Lil' Jackie, Lil' Jackie
so beautiful for you and me
Lil' Jackie., Lil' Jackie
whom shall you pick tonight!!!!
7th December 2006 03:49 PM
glencar
quote:
glencar wrote:

7th December 2006 03:59 PM
Jumping Jack My sources tell me there will be a record 27 windmills during ICE tonight!!!
7th December 2006 04:10 PM
polytoxic
quote:
glencar wrote:

7th December 2006 04:10 PM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
My sources tell me there will be a record 27 windmills during ICE tonight!!!

You are much loved by Joey
8th December 2006 05:38 AM
Jumping Jack Well?????????

We gots to know.
8th December 2006 06:10 AM
lotsajizz 'kins ain't wakin' up for some time yet!!
8th December 2006 11:04 AM
Jumping Jack Early reviews from Omaha:

bogart1957

rocker

Posted: December 08 2006, 10:18 Post subject: Omaha Concert

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The band really rocked last night, though the rumors I'd heard about Roger's voice proved true. He had a cold and battled like a warrior through it. He didn't sound as good as he did in Des Moines, but Pete compensated by playing as well as I've ever seen him. Same set list as Des Moines, except they dropped Good Looking Boy and added Black Widow Eyes. Personally, I prefer the former. I think three straight new songs (Purple Dress, Black Widow, Mike Post) were too much for this crowd as most sat through it. Which was great for me in the 27th row since I stood the whole concert and had a great view. I like Black Widow's Eyes; I just don't think it rocks enough. Would much prefer It's Not Enough. All in all, a great performance. My kids were mesmerized.

spaceace

Posted: December 08 2006, 10:20 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pete's playing was "En Fuego" last night

trobadour

Posted: December 08 2006, 10:28 Post subject:

besides rogers voice giving out the only downside to the show was wont get fooled again, they all got outta time on it.

and its probably just me that just noticed this, but nothing from quadraphenia was played.

chad1all

Rock God

Posted: December 08 2006, 10:47 Post subject:

Yeah, Quad has been MIA the entire tour, sadly.

Roger's voice WAS in great shape in Des Moines, coming off a rough night in Chicago. But I've seen the Chicago DVD and, if what you say about Omaha is true, it must be that Pete kicks it up a notch to compensate when Roger is struggling, because he was smokin' that night too. So that's pretty cool.

I really wish I could have been there. Quick question...when they play Black Widow's Eyes, does Pete play acoustic or Electric? I can see the slight lull happening if Pete has an acoustic strapped on for three songs in a row.

azwhofan

Rock God

Posted: December 08 2006, 11:45 Post subject:

chad1all wrote:
Yeah, Quad has been MIA the entire tour, sadly.

Roger's voice WAS in great shape in Des Moines, coming off a rough night in Chicago. But I've seen the Chicago DVD and, if what you say about Omaha is true, it must be that Pete kicks it up a notch to compensate when Roger is struggling, because he was smokin' that night too. So that's pretty cool.

I really wish I could have been there. Quick question...when they play Black Widow's Eyes, does Pete play acoustic or Electric? I can see the slight lull happening if Pete has an acoustic strapped on for three songs in a row.

Pete uses the acoustic with the headphone setup for BWE

8th December 2006 01:48 PM
glencar I'd much rather hear Real Good Looking Boy than Black Widow Eyes. The pre-song chatter is more amusing too.
8th December 2006 02:08 PM
Jumping Jack They couldn't do RGLB, Joey would have thought they were singing about him, LOL!!!
8th December 2006 02:23 PM
glencar He's 30 years too old for Petey...
8th December 2006 05:36 PM
Joey
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
'kins ain't wakin' up for some time yet!!

Here I IS !!!!!!!!!

Holy Frig ...................

What Can I Possibly Say ?!?! ... It was a magical night and one of the Greatest Rock n' Roll Concerts that I have EVER witnessed in my Forty - Two Years here on this orb . Real Quick ..... a complete listing of my TOP FIVE ALL TIME GIGS :

1. Stones , Omaha '06 / THE WHO , Omaha '06
2. Stones , Denver ' 03 / THE WHO , Englewood , CO , '02
3. Stones , Kansas City ' 99 / THE WHO , Denver ' 00

..... Oh , Frig it .... Why do I even bother to see other musical acts ?

Anyway , ......about last night !!!!!!!!

The Arena was only 3/4ths full ( about 12,000 people ) as the upper levels on the two sides were COMPLETELY tarped off ( see : Soldier Field for the Stones this past October )
Still , as a member of ' my crew ' pointed out , the band sold all the expensive seats so WTF ?!?!

THE PRETENDERS were awesome and the Omaha Crowd actually showed up ' in mass ' for the band --- I mean , when you have two groups that have already been inducted into the " Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame " on the bill , it is best to have only one drink in the VIP Lounge and then get to one's seat quickly . That being said , I had an excellent spot in the lower bowl , row three , eye - level to the stage and RIGHT in front of Pete . I could see Pete and Rog. watching THE PRETENDERS from the wings and when Chrissie acknowledged them the audience erupted ................YEAH !!!!!!!!

....and THEN !!!!!!!

It was time for THE WHO !!!!!!!

I was still taking a pee in the VIP lounge when I heard the opening strains of " Can't Explain " . Damn . They sure did not wait very long between acts . I tucked Lil' Joey back into my pants - whilst in full stream - and RAN to me seat -- almost knocking some poor middle - aged woman who was carrying a tray of beers down in the process . Whew ***** That was close ******

I arrived just in time to see Pete looking at me as he finished the first song and then the band launched right into " The Seeker " . There was a minor technical problem as Pete switched guitars almost immediately but from that point on you could tell that " THE PETEY " was going to be on FIRE for the remainder of the evening . Sure , Roger's voice has been affected somewhat by a cold and the incredible number of shows but the " Chairman of the Board " played one blistering solo after another and the opening to " Who Are You " reminded me of Camden ' 02 --- YES !!!! ... THAT inspirational -- just wait until you see the DVD of THIS concert .

Anyway , the set - list was just the same as all the rest of the shows except for no " Good Looking Boy " --- Thank Heaven ( the Joey is not a big Elvis fan but he likes Elvis' choice in women ) . The graphics on the screen during " Man - in - a - Purple Dress " was absolutely Friggin Haunting and we got " Dress " , " Black Widow Eyes " ( about the Belsian Massacare ) and " Mike Post Theme " back - to - back - to - back " ( this gave your young ' a dancin' ' Joey a chance to wipe the perspiration off his forehead , drink some more of his Vodka Redbull , and rest his fanny for the final numbers ) .

Roger's voice seemed to get stronger as he fed off the tremendous audience enthusiasm during " You better / You Bet " , " My Generation " and the epochal " Won't Get Fooled Again " ( which has taken on a new cultural resonance these days as America is about to lose only its Second War EVER .... DAMN !!!! .... Why ?! ) .

During the ' Tommy ' encore , Pete's BIRDMAN was spectacular and brought the entire house down ( ...... though Roger failed to break apart his tambourines )

" See Me / Feel Me " witnessed Roger's voice almost totally giving out -- ( how he will manage to perform tonight in St. Paul MUST be credited to his doctors -- still the guy is one tough cookie and I wouldn't fuck with THIS sixty three year old ) -- and " Tea & Theatre " was sublime ( I think Roger liked the way I would yell out between verses and he nailed the song with a fiery passion and emotion ) .

The final moment of the evening ( one that I shall ALWAYS remember ) took place at the very end as Rog. and Pete stood alone on the stage and said ' Goodbye ' . I made eye contact with Pete and extended out my arms to him whilst imitating his ' pouring - out - my - heart - to - the - audience gesture ' ... Pete did the same thing back to me and smiled ....................................

Lovely !

Kins .

[cc:ss]

[Edited by Joey]
8th December 2006 05:42 PM
glencar You are the Brokeback Mountain of this board!
8th December 2006 06:05 PM
lotsajizz GREAT review Joey!! I'm glad they gave the goods...

9th December 2006 11:46 AM
Joey
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
GREAT review Joey!! I'm glad they gave the goods...

Amen Jizzy !

" Review: Fans know Who rocks "

" Roger Daltrey's maniacal howl near the end of the Who classic "Won't Get Fooled Again" certainly lives up to its billing of being the greatest scream in the history of rock music.

Pete Townshend and the Who belted out songs for 9,000 fans at Qwest Center Omaha Thursday night.

Dozens of concerts since June have taken a toll on the lead singer's vocal chords. To top it off, Daltrey told fans Thursday night at the Qwest Center Omaha that he was battling "a terrible cold."

So when it came time in the song for Daltrey's famous yell, fans had to have wondered, "Can he pull it off?" The band was already 90 minutes into a performance that saw him punish his voice with each song.

With the stage lights dim and the anticipation high, Daltrey unleashed his soul-searing howl - "Yeeeaaahhh!!"

The 9,000 fans in the audience roared back their appreciation with ear-splitting screams of their own.

The Who's two-hour concert - their first in Omaha since 1967 - mixed timeless rock songs with material from the Who's new "Endless Wire" album.

Daltrey and guitarist-songwriter Pete Townshend - the band's two surviving original members - injected both their classic hits and new material with musical muscularity, passion and skill.

In front of a crowd that ranged from grade-school kids to great-grandparents, the Who kicked off the night with the three-song wallop of "I Can't Explain, "The Seeker" and "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere."

Then Townshend addressed the crowd.

"Thank you so much for coming out to see us," he told fans. "It's great to be here in Omaha."

As the band played, an array of colorful graphics and archival footage of the iconic group's early years, when it still included the late Keith Moon and John Entwistle, flashed on a huge multipanel backdrop behind the band.

Townshend, 61, elicited cheers from the audience with his crunching power chords and famous (and frequent) arm windmills. It makes you wonder if he comes equipped with a bionic shoulder.

Daltrey, boyish-looking and fit at 62, generated an equally enthusiastic response with his microphone twirls. Though his voice has roughened with age, he mustered up monstrous vocals for "Baba O'Riley," "You Better You Bet," "My Generation" and "Who Are You."

Instead of rushing to the restrooms and concession stands, most fans stuck around and listened respectfully to the Who's new songs, including the mini-rock opera "Wire & Glass," as well as "A Man in a Purple Dress," "Black Widow's Eyes" and "Mike Post Theme."

Several minutes after leaving the stage to a standing ovation, the Who returned for an encore. Townshend told fans: "There's not much left in his voice," referring to Daltrey, "but he's going to give you what he's got."

The rockers then fired off a pair of songs, "Pinball Wizard" and "See Me, Feel Me," from their 1969 rock opera, "Tommy."

Earlier in the night, fans were treated to a 50-minute opening set by the Pretenders.

With her unmistakable voice, frontwoman Chrissie Hynde led her band of Brits through a series of terrific rock songs, including "Back on the Chain Gang" and "My City Was Gone," which the still-sexy, still-sassy Hynde, 55, introduced with, "This is a song about my beautiful hometown - Akron, Ohio."

The band also played a cover of Bob Dylan's "Forever Young" before ending its top-notch set with "Precious."

www.omaha.com

9th December 2006 01:19 PM
Dan
quote:
was still taking a pee in the VIP lounge when I heard the opening strains of " Can't Explain " . Damn . They sure did not wait very long between acts . I tucked Lil' Joey back into my pants - whilst in full stream - and RAN to me seat

It doesn't have to be that way. See Stones at the Hollywood Bowl Nov 8 2005.

But you ARE coming out for the Long Beach Arena show on Feb 26 right? You can stay right here at the Palace Of Filth Spa And Resort conveniently located just a few miles from Burbank Airport with XM Radio just added to the already long list of amenities which include a toilet, beer, refrigerator (light can be disabled upon request which is recommended) and garbage can.

I can clear out enough room on the floor to throw down the mattress and lay out poison and traps a week in advance of your arrival. Then we can do the show in style taking public transportation and getting $20 tickets in the parking lot while stealth drinking Gatorade and Tequila. I, for one, am looking forward to their first indoor L.A. area show in over 10 years!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)