ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Waiting departure to Bangor
The Euston Station, August 24, 1967
© 1967, 2005 Víctor Blackman
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones may lose tour record to ... themselves Return to archive
December 26th, 2005 04:16 PM
moy THE WEEK AHEAD
Stones may lose tour record to ... themselves

Stones may lose tour record to ... themselves
Randy Lewis

In a year troubling on many fronts for the music industry, a bit of good news first: The Rolling Stones' 11-year-old record for the highest-grossing tour of all time was at long last eclipsed in 2005. And not once, but twice.

Although figures haven't been finalized yet, the concert industry tracking magazine Pollstar expects the Stones' $121.2-million take in 1994 not only to be topped but to also be "smashed," by … the Rolling Stones. And U2.

It appears that Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and company will edge Bono, the Edge et al. for top honors in an especially lucrative year for both, but Pollstar Editor Gary Bongiovanni says those positions could change as the final data are analyzed this week.

The Stones have made the contest more challenging than usual because the group has chosen not to report box-office receipts for its "A Bigger Bang" tour as it has in years past, and as the vast majority of other touring performers do.

That has left Pollstar to track down numbers from each venue the band played in 2005, or to estimate concert revenues based on ticket prices and facility capacities. Billboard magazine left the Stones off its recent report of 2005 concert grosses.

"It's kind of amazing that the Stones' record has held since '94," Bongiovanni said, "considering that since then, average ticket prices have more than doubled."

Other acts he expects to finish in the Top 10, in an order that could change as final figures are computed, are Celine Dion, the Eagles, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Kenny Chesney, the Dave Matthews Band, Neil Diamond and Jimmy Buffett.

"Kenny Chesney is the youngster in that lot," he said of the 37-year-old country singer. Although rapper Kanye West's tour gained much critical acclaim for raising the bar on hip-hop concert performance, his name won't appear in Pollstar's Top 20.

"Maybe [Eminem's] Anger Management Tour will," Bongiovanni said, "but as in years past, rap and hip-hop doesn't translate anywhere near as well to the live performance arena as it does to record sales."

The only other relative newcomers who might find their way into the Top 20 appear to be Hilary Duff and Coldplay.

Overall, though, the number of tickets sold was down in 2005, and overall revenue may also fall short of what it was in 2004.

"We definitely saw a drop in revenue early in the year," Bongiovanni said. "We had some real huge tours in the fourth quarter, which is fairly unusual late in the year. But whether [revenue] rebounded enough in the fourth quarter to make up the difference, we're still trying to get a handle on that."

Pollstar's final concert revenue report will appear in the magazine's Jan. 16 issue, to be mailed to subscribers on Jan. 6.
December 26th, 2005 04:40 PM
FOURCHETTE This tour is a bust !!!!!!!!!!!!!
December 26th, 2005 05:02 PM
jb
quote:
FOURCHETTE wrote:
This tour is a bust !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said they would not report and in the end Cohl would announce 4oo Million, which is not only ticket sales...Jake and MC have worked wonders again!!!!!!!!
December 26th, 2005 05:11 PM
Strange_Stray_Cat I got some more tix to get to 400 mil!
December 26th, 2005 06:22 PM
Soldatti The final numbers of the tour could be astronomical, Cohl will include t-shirts, the wine sales and everything in the final number.
December 26th, 2005 06:25 PM
Dan I bet its really U2 if its just ticket sales alone
December 26th, 2005 07:55 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:
I bet its really U2 if its just ticket sales alone

100% correct sir...but we'll take the victory in an otherwise dismal sales year(see ABB. Rarities, Live Licks, ett).
December 27th, 2005 01:13 AM
keefjunkie why do you people always COMPLAIN? that article said nothing negative about the stones.. it said we would beat out U2(and U2 tribute bands), why do you have a problem with that?
December 27th, 2005 10:34 AM
jb
quote:
keefjunkie wrote:
why do you people always COMPLAIN? that article said nothing negative about the stones.. it said we would beat out U2(and U2 tribute bands), why do you have a problem with that?

... WE said that Cohl would do this!!! The non-reporting was brilliant as we lose in gross ticket sales, but win when tied into merchandise, fan club packages, sponsor premiums, etd....we said exactly what would happen..the sales would be average to mediocre, but increase inticket prices (which should be more) would help off-set U2's phenomenal run of 92 consecutive sell-outs.....Also, our the merchandise was 14-28% highger than U2, sponsorship fees and gurantees much higher, and added dates with possible mini 06 tour for taxes........................I said it would occur and as usual, the 806k man was correct again!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You people need to wake up and thank me(and Pug) and stop the posts of personal destruction. Until we as posters can unite for our common bond, the Stones, the threat from U2, Macca, Beatles, Robbie Williams, James Blunt, Madonna, Elton, Billy, LZ, Pink Floyd, Lil Kim, Fity Cents, et al remains out there. This new year should bring you new resolutions to be a truer, more loyal, 100% Stones fan..........no more posts about other bands ..no more "Lennon was a Genuis" type posts...We want to hear only that the Stones are the greatest, they charge a high, but fair price for their shows, that "Exile" is the single greatest thing to ever happen to mankind, that Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman were simply the best and are sorely missed, that while AMA and Days Of Stones were true humiliations(also SOL), lke the JT affair, we pretend they never happened, that ABB , while a mediocre album after 8yrs of waiting, with only 407, 232 sold US, is better than anything U2 ever released, and that Mick, Keith, Charlie, and Ronnie are still the coolest mother fuckers on earth despite some wardrobe issues,that Jake Cohl has really come into his own, and that
Mr. L is has meeted, greeted, and treated those worthy of his aquaintence............also Pug has come a long way as a poster and will take over my position upon my retirement.

[Edited by jb]
December 27th, 2005 01:49 PM
gimmekeef We can hardly wait....
December 27th, 2005 01:55 PM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
We can hardly wait....

I would rather die than greet you.
December 27th, 2005 03:47 PM
gimmekeef Gee its easy...just do us all a favor and stop breathin...But you already greeted me..and I dont dislike you at all..rather pleasnt meeting I thought...just sometimes your ego gets a bit much.....but anyway...Happy New Year.
December 27th, 2005 04:07 PM
stewed & Keefed jb,are you coming to London next summer?
December 28th, 2005 10:15 AM
egon you'd almost think this is good news.
December 28th, 2005 10:22 AM
jb
quote:
stewed & Keefed wrote:
jb,are you coming to London next summer?

I hope to if wife and new born permit..it would be a pleasure to meet you!!!
December 28th, 2005 10:22 AM
jb
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Gee its easy...just do us all a favor and stop breathin...But you already greeted me..and I dont dislike you at all..rather pleasnt meeting I thought...just sometimes your ego gets a bit much.....but anyway...Happy New Year.

If I met you, I'm sure my ego was intact....sadly, I must now kill myself.
[Edited by jb]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)