ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Waiting departure to Bangor
The Euston Station, August 24, 1967
© 1967, 2005 Víctor Blackman
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Ipod tech question Return to archive
December 25th, 2005 02:08 PM
Zack Merry Christmas all!

Just got a new 60 GB Ipod from Mr. Claus. Can anyone tell me how I can switch my library from the old 4 GB unit to the new one? There's no prompt for update when I call up I tunes with the new unit plugged in. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Just watched the DVD from the deluxe Bang.

Here's my review:
December 25th, 2005 02:57 PM
Sir Stonesalot Zack...

You should be able to do this pretty easy.

Go to your settings in iTunes. In the settings menu, there should be a auto update setting. Click the auto update on.

When you connect your new iPod to your computer with either the firewire or 2.0 USB cable, it should update automatically. Make sure that all the songs you want in the update are check marked.

December 25th, 2005 03:48 PM
egon zack,

i think you mean you want to put the music from your 4 gb,
to your new 60 gb...?

well officially you can NOT take any music off your ipod.
so if you do not have a back up on your pc your screwed....

well not really.

hook up your ipod. go to the actual ipod-harddisc (disc d or g...).
enable "see hidden files".

copy these hidden files onto your computer.
(you won't be able
to make sence out of them, cos it's all just letters an numbers,
but that is not a problem)

import these files into your itunes. (ipod recognises
the structure & will arrange everyting like you had it on your old pod)
from there upload to your new ipod.
December 25th, 2005 05:23 PM
Zack Thanks.

Egon, I don't need to get the songs off the old iPod, just to get the computer to recognize the existing iTunes. It gives me a message that says "an iPod is detected but the necessary software is not installed." I don't get the icon that controls the settings
December 25th, 2005 11:12 PM
Sir Stonesalot Ahhhhh...

You got the new 60g. I think you need an updated version of iTunes for that one. Like, the version of iTunes that I have can't deal with photos and video. So it probably won't work with the new 60gig.

If software came with the new iPod, you will probably have to install that, and then move your music files from the old iTunes to the new version.

Hope you got lots of disc space!
December 26th, 2005 03:21 AM
egon the 60 one is indeed fantastic. i got mine cheapy cheap
at singapore airport.

December 26th, 2005 03:59 AM
The_Worst Since I see you guys discussing this I have a question. I just got a 160 Gig external harddrive because all my MP3s were taking up all my harddrive space. How do I transfer all my MP3s which are in iTunes to my new external harddrive? With regular files you simply drag them through windows explorer however do I need to install iTunes on my new external harddrive first? Also, any new MP3s that I create, can I simply put them on my new external harddrive only or do I have to put them on my current computer hardrives & transfer them over?

Any help anyone can provide is greatly appreciated!!!

Merry Christmas everyone!!!
December 26th, 2005 05:40 AM
egon your mp3's which are in your i-tunes are stored somewhere
on your pc. (standart it's "c/i-tunes" i think).

simply "cut" this folder and "paste" on your new harddrive

then within i-tines select "import files" and choose the new folder which you created on your
external drive.

also, go into settings of i-tunes and change the music folder
from c/itunes to your new folder on the external disc.

this way any new tunes you drag into i-tunes will be stored on your external disc.

note: in case you start up your i-tunes, but did not switch
on your ext. drive, the settings will return to c/i-tunes!

Hope i explained it well enough, but let me know
in case you have more Q's.
[Edited by egon]
December 28th, 2005 01:20 AM
The_Worst Thanks!!
December 28th, 2005 04:47 AM
egon there's also a program (several actually) which does arrange everything in order (artist/album etc).
then you do not need to go directly into the harddisc.

you don't need it for what you want to do now, but
can be handy if you want to get some songs off your ipod
and onto your pc.

i can send it in case interest.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)