ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2005 - 2006

Waiting departure to Bangor
The Euston Station, August 24, 1967
Đ 1967, 2005 Víctor Blackman
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2005 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Rarities Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
December 20th, 2005 07:46 AM
egon i'll keep the pastis cold.
(which is not that difficult at the moment, brrrr)

And i'll give you my best french as well!
December 20th, 2005 07:49 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
egon wrote:
i'll keep the pastis cold.
(which is not that difficult at the moment, brrrr)

And i'll give you my best french as well!

great!
I ll bring my copy of Goddess in the Doorway especially for you!
December 20th, 2005 04:20 PM
tumbling dice
Rarities .Itīs like stripped companion boot.But itīs official.

True Rarities

Travelling man
Too Many Cooks
Thru the lonely nights
Start Me Up (reggae)
Munich Hilton
Yellow Cab ( do you really..)
Claudine
I canīt help it
Lucky in love ( reggae)
Lonely at the Top (paris sessions)
Letīs go steady
All mixed up
stictly menphis
Invitation
December 20th, 2005 08:26 PM
Soldatti
quote:
tumbling dice wrote:

Rarities .Itīs like stripped companion boot.But itīs official.

True Rarities

Travelling man
Too Many Cooks
Thru the lonely nights
Start Me Up (reggae)
Munich Hilton
Yellow Cab ( do you really..)
Claudine
I canīt help it
Lucky in love ( reggae)
Lonely at the Top (paris sessions)
Letīs go steady
All mixed up
stictly menphis
Invitation

Good list, but Jagger only know 1-2 songs...
December 20th, 2005 09:16 PM
CraigP I stole the album. It was a waste of time.
December 21st, 2005 11:28 AM
Jair
quote:
CraigP wrote:
I stole the album. It was a waste of time.

I believe you. Really. And sorry.

Hey, and about Charlie saying, "Well, if they says Exile is the best Stones, then Stripped is the next best next". LOL, Charlie. Lower, lower.

I love Stripped but..period.
December 21st, 2005 11:32 AM
Gazza
quote:
egon wrote:
really? i didn't know that.

but of course that proves onces more
how ridiculous the rarities concept is!

Exactly. Great idea to include songs on a 'Rarities' album that are taken from an album which sold about ten times as many copies as 'Rarities' ever will and two or three times as many as the most recent studio album.

Using that criteria, maybe they'll reissue "A Bigger Bang" under the name "Rarities 2" to help sales!
December 21st, 2005 11:38 AM
Jair
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Using that criteria, maybe they'll reissue "A Bigger Bang" under the name "Rarities 2" to help sales!

LOL

I dont doubt, really dont, anyway...
December 21st, 2005 11:50 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Jair wrote:

LOL

I dont doubt, really dont, anyway...

they will probably add the remix of Neocon,with a 16 minutes harp solo from Mick !
December 21st, 2005 12:31 PM
egon
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

they will probably add the remix of Neocon,with a 16 minutes harp solo from Mick !

i have about 5 different remixes of rain fall down.
though it's not that you HEAR the difference.

December 21st, 2005 01:06 PM
gonzalo76 IMHO, any Stones' stuff is more than welcomed to me.

Anyway, I wonder why they included these songs:

1. Wild Horses (Live)- Included on Stripped album.
2. If I Was A Dancer (Dance Pt.2)- appeared on Sucking in the Seventies album.
3. I Just Wanna Make Love To You (Live) - Included on the No Security album.
4. Live With Me (Live) - from No Security album.
5. Mannish Boy (Live) - appeared on Love You Live and Sucking in the Seventies albums.

I know they are 'rare' but I think every old and new stones fan should already have them because they were official released in the "Stripped", "Sucking in the Seventies", "No Security" and "Love You Live" albums.

About the B-sides or the extended remixes, I think that not everybody could bought or found them on the music stores although they were also official released.

I think they should really release an "Unreleased" album, that's for sure.

Anyway, they are forgiven ! LOL
December 21st, 2005 01:15 PM
voodoopug
quote:
gonzalo76 wrote:
IMHO, any Stones' stuff is more than welcomed to me.

Anyway, I wonder why they included these songs:

1. Wild Horses (Live)- Included on Stripped album.
2. If I Was A Dancer (Dance Pt.2)- appeared on Sucking in the Seventies album.
3. I Just Wanna Make Love To You (Live) - Included on the No Security album.
4. Live With Me (Live) - from No Security album.
5. Mannish Boy (Live) - appeared on Love You Live and Sucking in the Seventies albums.

I know they are 'rare' but I think every old and new stones fan should already have them because they were official released in the "Stripped", "Sucking in the Seventies", "No Security" and "Love You Live" albums.

About the B-sides or the extended remixes, I think that not everybody could bought or found them on the music stores although they were also official released.

I think they should really release an "Unreleased" album, that's for sure.

Anyway, they are forgiven ! LOL

actually, I Just Wanna Make Love to you was a B side from Flashpoint and Live with me was not on Stripped, but rather the single for "Wild Horses" off of Stripped. You are correct about the other tracks though.
December 21st, 2005 07:24 PM
glencar gonzalo76, that's why many of us think this Rarities is somewhat subpar. They had a load of material to choose from & they punted.
December 21st, 2005 07:46 PM
Some Guy they went for it and came up short
December 21st, 2005 09:00 PM
gonzalo76
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

actually, I Just Wanna Make Love to you was a B side from Flashpoint and Live with me was not on Stripped, but rather the single for "Wild Horses" off of Stripped. You are correct about the other tracks though.

Yes, sorry, "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" was NOT included on "No Security", you're correct.
But, I didn't say "Live With Me" was included on Stripped, I said "No Security".

Gr.
Gonzalo
December 22nd, 2005 01:09 AM
Egbert Why not add Everything Is Turning To Gold and the live When The Whip Comes Down to Rarities and not re-release Sucking In The 70s????
December 22nd, 2005 05:21 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
gonzalo76 wrote:

But, I didn't say "Live With Me" was included on Stripped, I said "No Security".
Gr.
Gonzalo

The version of Live With Me on Rarities is the version from the 1995 Wild Horses single. NOT No Security.
December 22nd, 2005 05:24 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Im absolutely love Beast of Burden on rarities. I especially like it when keiths harsh backing vocals come in
December 22nd, 2005 01:31 PM
gonzalo76
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
The version of Live With Me on Rarities is the version from the 1995 Wild Horses single. NOT No Security.

Well, I guess my cd booklet is definitely wrong, 'cause this is what it says on that song:

"Live With Me (Live)
This swaggering invitation "Don't you want to live with me?" was first heard on 1969's Let It Bleed, and it still jolts all these years later on this eye-opening live version from No Security."

Thanks for the corrected info !

Edit:
I wonder why the cd booklet has a wrong info.

[Edited by gonzalo76]
December 22nd, 2005 02:03 PM
voodoopug
quote:
gonzalo76 wrote:

Well, I guess my cd booklet is definitely wrong, 'cause this is what it says on that song:

"Live With Me (Live)
This swaggering invitation "Don't you want to live with me?" was first heard on 1969's Let It Bleed, and it still jolts all these years later on this eye-opening live version from No Security."

Thanks for the corrected info !

Other than the track selection, the major humiliation from this release is that the liner notes contain so many inaccuracies...this must have been proofread by a drunk ape. Sadly, U2 (Or U2 tribute bands) don't allow crap like this to happen, this is why we are no longer #1
December 22nd, 2005 02:32 PM
Stones
quote:
gonzalo76 wrote:

Yes, sorry, "I Just Wanna Make Love To You" was NOT included on "No Security", you're correct.

Gr.
Gonzalo

I Just Want to Make Love to You was on the Japanese release of No Security....
December 22nd, 2005 03:51 PM
Jumacfly
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Other than the track selection, the major humiliation from this release is that the liner notes contain so many inaccuracies...this must have been proofread by a drunk ape. Sadly, U2 (Or U2 tribute bands) don't allow crap like this to happen, this is why we are no longer #1

Take Care Puggie

Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) (Jagger/Richards)

You're deaf to it, blind to it. It's like a thunder clap.
Feel the prickles running up and down your back.
Why so divine?
The pain of love

You have to work at it, stay with it, pay for it
bust your ass
lie for it cheat for it, forget about your past
why so divine?
The pain of love

You dream of it passionate
you even get a rise from it
feel the hot cum
dripping on your thigh from it
why so divine?
The pain of love

Sometimes you crave for it
cry for it, women will die for it
looking back, cut the crap
was it really worth the rap
it's hard to survive the pain of love
ain't that right

Yeah I need a time out
time to make my mind up
substitute a line out
I'll be back next season with a bang

No release from the jail
no parole no bail
hard labour, fifty lashes, hard labour , money crashes
well alright...

The old maid is roughing up
applying the final touches
though she's late for the dance
I'll tell you tonight she's really gonna have a ball
she's gonna really tie me up

Don't hurt me...
December 22nd, 2005 04:15 PM
voodoopug
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Take Care Puggie

Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love) (Jagger/Richards)

You're deaf to it, blind to it. It's like a thunder clap.
Feel the prickles running up and down your back.
Why so divine?
The pain of love

You have to work at it, stay with it, pay for it
bust your ass
lie for it cheat for it, forget about your past
why so divine?
The pain of love

You dream of it passionate
you even get a rise from it
feel the hot cum
dripping on your thigh from it
why so divine?
The pain of love

Sometimes you crave for it
cry for it, women will die for it
looking back, cut the crap
was it really worth the rap
ain't that right

Yeah I need a time out
time to make my mind up
substitute a line out
I'll be back next season with a bang

No release from the jail
no parole no bail
hard labour, fifty lashes, hard labour , money crashes
well alright...

The old maid is roughing up
applying the final touches
though she's late for the dance
I'll tell you tonight she's really gonna have a ball

Don't hurt me...

You are much loved!!!
December 22nd, 2005 04:32 PM
glencar Goddam! THAT song shoulda been on 40 Licks! Funkay!
December 23rd, 2005 01:26 AM
gonzalo76 Well, I think this is a very useful review about this album that I would like to share it here, if there's no problem. It was written by Christopher Bushman, a Self-professed Monster Stones Fan)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A3BWSTCECRY4PP/ref=cm_cr_auth/002-3935578-6111228

quote:
Christopher Bushman wrote:

Reviewer: Christopher Bushman (Portland, OR USA)

The Good News: This is pretty fun to listen to and gives us crystal-clear, remastered quality, versions of a couple of nifty vinyl B-sides from the '70's.

The Bad News: The songs collected here are not particularly "Rare" (a few songs would be better described as "Common") and this set could have easily been a thousand times better. There is nothing here from "The Vault"; all songs collected on Rarities have been previously released as B-Sides, Album Tracks, Singles or on a DVD. Even operating within that constraint, they bypassed many quality B-Sides (not to mention widely bootlegged outtakes) that would have been a better fit than some of the selections.

The Really Bad News: The liner notes in the booklet are embarrassingly bad, riddled with errors. The clown who wrote them just does not know his Stones and nobody connected with the band evidently cared enough to proofread.

The Songs:

1. Fancy Man Blues- A great latter day blues issued as a CD Single B-Side from the 1989 Steel Wheels record. It was amusing to see so many reviewers get themselves worked up over the inclusion of Back of My Hand on the Bigger Bang record. That song is the type of thing they have been relegating to B-side status for years and in my opinion, inferior to Fancy Man Blues.

2. Tumbling Dice- A B-Side from the Wild Horses (unplugged) CD-Single from '96 (which the liner notes author fails to note) is a pretty nifty version but butchered in the liner notes. This is a Stripped album outtake and begins with a lo-fi rehearsal version of the song featuring only piano, handclaps and Mick's vocal for the first verse. This bit was then spliced onto a hi-fi live version from the Voodoo Lounge tour and thus seems to bloom or burst into Technicolor sound. Nice trick but the dude in the liner notes insinuates that it is a single take which makes you wonder if he listened to the song all the way through.

3. Wild Horses- This is the exact unplugged version available on Stripped and therefore is not rare. The liner notes guy says that it was recorded before a live audience in a studio in Tokyo. If it was, they are a pretty darn quiet (silent) audience.

4. Beast of Burden- This terrific live version was recorded in Chicago (not LA) on the 1981 tour and released as the flip to the Going to a Go-Go single in '82. It was re-released on a limited edition CD called Rolling Stones Collectibles in conjunction with the 1990 Flashpoint live album. This live version was not included on Sucking in the 70's (which was released before this was recorded) as the liner notes state. The Some Girls studio version of Beast of Burden was used on Sucking in the 70's.

5. Any Way You Look At It- This gentle Mick and Keith ballad duet was issued as a Bridges to Babylon B-Side and is a pleasurable tune of its era. The only person who would mistake it for a mid-60's psychedelic pop tune is the liner notes author.

6. If I Was A Dancer (Dance Pt.2)- This disco groover was first released on Sucking in the 70's which makes it common, not rare. It would have been more appropriate to replace this with a Licks tour live version of Dance Pt. 1, which they played at several club shows and can be found on the Four Flicks DVD. The liner notes incorrectly state that this was Ron Wood's first songwriting credit with the band. Not so, he got partial credit for Everything Is Turning to Gold, the great, disco B-side to the Shattered single, later collected on Sucking In The '70's. Don't even get me started on It's Only Rock and Roll.

7. Miss You (Dance Version) - This is the extended dance version released as a vinyl 12" single in 1978. Sort of interesting but it won't change your life.

8. Wish I'd Never Met You- Another great blues put out as a Steel Wheels B-Side. The joker in the liner notes reports that it is "Rarely Played Live..." Uh, how about never.

9. I Just Want To Make Love To You (Live)*Misspelled as Wanna on Rarities. Great bluesy, slowed-down version that the band was playing in 1990 on the Steel Wheels tour. Originally released in '91 as a B-Side on the Highwire CD single not on the 1998 No Security live album as stated in the liner notes.

10. Mixed Emotions (12" Version) - A CD-Single B-Side remix of the pretty lame Steel Wheels tune (it doesn't get any better as a dance mix). Our favorite liner notes author reports that Mixed Emotions "...wasn't a massive hit upon release." In fact, it was their last Top Ten hit, reaching #5 on the US singles chart and featured a video that received heavy rotation on MTV.

11. Through The Lonely Nights- A It's Only Rock and Roll B-Side, this pleasant track is nice to hear in pristine form but is not a lost classic.

12. Live with Me (Live) - Good rocking' live version but pulled directly from the No Security live album and therefore, not rare. Out of all the nuggets they have resurrected on the last few tours, why include this one?

13. Let It Rock- Great live Chuck Berry cover from 1971 originally issued as the B-Side to Brown Sugar, this is the best track on Rarities. Bozo writing the liner notes says it was played "Occasionally" on the Some Girls tour. Uh, let me guess, you missed that tour, right (it was the opener at every USA show)?

14. Harlem Shuffle (NY Mix) - This is the 12" vinyl dance single remix released in '86 in order to promote the terrible Dirty Work album. Not only is this the weakest hit single the band ever put out, but I have news for you boys: There is not a single Stones fan on earth that ever gave two shakes for a dance mix of any Stones song. Finally, Mr. Goofus from the liner notes reports that Harlem Shuffle was the first cover song the band had released as a single since 1964. Not so, Going to a Go-Go is a Smokey Robinson cover that the band released as a single in 1982 from the Still Life live album. Time is on My Side b/w Twenty Flight Rock was a double cover single also released to promote Still Life but received less attention than Go-Go.

15. Mannish Boy (Live) - Boy, is this one not rare, having previously appeared on both the Love You Live album and the Sucking in the 70's collection. Not even a very good version to boot.

16. Thu and Thru (Live)- This oddly compelling Keith song starts very slow and picks up some steam midway through. This version was previously released on the Four Flicks DVD.

So there you have it, many of these songs are worth listening to but do not be fooled by the title. For whatever reason, Mr. Jagger is not interested in opening the vaults at this time so continue to keep your fingers crossed (don't worry, we will see a true previously-unreleased-material box set someday, Bob Dylan and the Beatles have made too much money for Jagger to not take the bait eventually). Moreover, even though I am a self-professed Monster Stones Fan, all of the information offered here is easily available with a few Google searches and there really is no excuse for the inaccuracies printed in the booklet.

One last jab: They chose a performance picture for the cover dating to circa '78 with Bill Wyman cropped out? How petty is that?

Was this review helpful to you?

Gr.
Gonzalo
December 23rd, 2005 04:04 AM
Jumacfly a great review, fun to read!!Mr Goofus ah ah ah!!
December 23rd, 2005 04:51 AM
Gazza Christopher's "review" says all that needs to be said (I think either he posted it here when the album came out or else someone must have copied and pasted his review)

One more atrocity that he's missed actually is that the 12" version of Miss You that is included is actually an EDITED version of that single. They've chopped about a minute out of it on 'Rarities' as the version on the single clocks in at around 8 and a half minutes.

Have to say that it frustrates the hell out of me to see sloppy research like there is on the 'Rarities' liner notes. In all honesty, I could have researched this in five minutes, as I'm sure many other fans could have done.
[Edited by Gazza]
December 23rd, 2005 06:56 AM
Jair
quote:
Gazza wrote:

(...) One more atrocity that he's missed actually is that the 12" version of Miss You that is included is actually an EDITED version of that single (...)

Hey Gazza, the 'Rarities' version is the same present on the "Dont Stop" single? No free time yet to check it, working as a horse this end of the year.
Many thanks!

December 23rd, 2005 08:37 AM
gonzalo76
quote:
Gazza wrote:
One more atrocity that he's missed actually is that the 12" version of Miss You that is included is actually an EDITED version of that single. They've chopped about a minute out of it on 'Rarities' as the version on the single clocks in at around 8 and a half minutes.

Yes, absolutely right Gazza:

Miss You (Collectibles or single version) = 8:34
Miss You (Rarities version) = 7:33

"Mr. Goofus" forgot to mention this.

Gr.
Gonzalo
December 23rd, 2005 08:57 AM
Maxwell Let It Rock - worst mix ever.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)